PDA

View Full Version : Volcano ash: Threat of second volcano Katla '10 times the strength'

Gingersnap
04-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Volcano ash: Threat of second volcano Katla '10 times the strength'

A second volcano in Iceland could erupt with 10 times the force of Eyjafyoll if history repeats itself, scientists have warned.

By Caroline Gammell
Published: 7:00AM BST 21 Apr 2010

Katla lies next to the volcano currently causing worldwide travel chaos with molten lava and ash shooting into the sky. The last time Eyjafyoll erupted in 1821-23, Katla followed shortly afterwards. The same pattern occurred in 1612.

Katla erupts approximately every 60 years but has not done so since 1918, when it was 10 times as powerful greater than the ongoing activity in Eyjafyoll.

Assistant professors Andy Hooper and Joris Melkert, from the University of Delft in the Netherlands, said the ongoing activity could cause trouble for months.

“If Katla were to erupt, the potential for travel chaos and economic damage would be much greater than has occurred in the last few days,” they said. “A new volcanic dust cloud potentially heading towards the United Kingdom underlines the very real danger that Eyjafyoll could potentially sputter on for months or even more than a year.

“Even in the scenario that Katla doesn’t erupt, disruption could be continuous for many months to come from Eyjafyoll.”

Profs Hooper and Melkert said in 1783-4, the eruption of the Laki volcano in Iceland caused temperatures to fall by three degrees Celsius, killed a quarter of the population and led to thousands of deaths in the Britain due to poisoning and cold temperatures. The last time Katla erupted on such a scale was in 934 AD.

The scientists said all the signs suggested that new magma was still being produced deep within the earth’s crust which meant the volcano would continue to erupt for some time to come.

They added that global warming only increased the level of volcanic activity.

Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7611663/Volcano-ash-Threat-of-second-volcano-Katla-10-times-the-strength.html)

hampshirebrit
04-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Wonderful news. Thanks for cheering me up this evening.

I'm supposed to be in Belgium for work next week. Even though the airspace has re-opened, there is a severe backlog in passenger traffic, so it looks like I will have to find alternative means of transport.

The whole thing has also made me aware of how much supermarket produce is freighted in, and I've been paying more attention to labels lately. Here's a sample of what's in my fridge at the moment:

Mint (herb): Israel
Basil: Israel
Rhubarb: Germany
Chives: Egypt
Parsley: Tunisia
Lemon Grass: Thailand
Spinach: Spain
Tomatoes: Spain
Jumbo salad onions: Mexico
Shiitake mushrooms: OMG, they come from Lancashire, UK.

This is bloody ridiculous. I hate conceding to them, but the Greens have a totally valid point about food mile wastage. Almost every item on that list could have been grown in the UK. Mint (herb) is almost a weed, it grows so well. Rhubarb is in season in the UK until the end of May.

I'm going to start going to farmer's markets from now on.

djones520
04-21-2010, 03:32 PM

I'm supposed to be in Belgium for work next week. Even though the airspace has re-opened, there is a severe backlog in passenger traffic, so it looks like I will have to find alternative means of transport.

The whole thing has also made me aware of how much supermarket produce is freighted in, and I've been paying more attention to labels lately. Here's a sample of what's in my fridge at the moment:

This is bloody ridiculous. I hate conceding to them, but the Greens have a totally valid point about food mile wastage. Almost every item on that list could have been grown in the UK. Mint (herb) is almost a weed, it grows so well. Rhubarb is in season in the UK until the end of May.

Or start planting your own. A few planters of those herbs will cost you just a few pounds, and you'll be good for a while.

Big Guy
04-21-2010, 03:34 PM
This is all because pf global warming, you see the CO2 goes into the air and it heats the center of the earth, this causes the moon to tilt which adds pressure to the volcano and then viola, all planes are grounded. Isn't that right Wilbur? :D

Gingersnap
04-21-2010, 03:37 PM

Aside from the lemon grass, all those herbs will grow like weeds during U.K. summers. You can probably overwinter the chives in a sunny corner outside. You can grow basil on a windowsill. Your own rhubarb will be much better than transported rhubarb.

bijou
04-21-2010, 04:05 PM

Hmm ... of those I have mint, basil, parsley and spinach growing in the garden. I have a small handful of shallots from last season and a fair amount of garlic also and lots of baby chard growing in a raised bed. I keep telling you to start gardening. :p However I have to say I have yet to successfully grow rhubarb and I really don't have the space for it so perhaps that's for the best. Bear in mind that while warm weather crops can be grown in the UK under glass that does somewhat wipe out the 'food mile' advantage. And while I'm on the point they don't seem to object to tofu being flown in. In any event is it really more environmentally friendly to bring food to the south east of England from, say, Scotland than it is from Germany and Spain?

lacarnut
04-22-2010, 02:33 AM
The last time Katla erupted the mouth of the Mississippi River froze over. The eruption of this volcano would be catastrophic with temperatures plummenting.