PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger suspended for six games

ralph wiggum
04-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Ben Roethlisberger was suspended for six games on Wednesday for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy, the NFL announced.

The Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback also was ordered to undergo a comprehensive behavioral evaluation. Commissioner Roger Goodell will evaluate Roethlisberger's progress before the season and might consider reducing the suspension to four games.

However, a failure to comply with the NFL's ruling might lead to a longer suspension.

Roethlisberger is barred from attending any Steelers offseason activity after Wednesday until he completes the evaluation. He can participate in training camp and preseason games this summer as long as he is cleared by the evaluators and Goodell.

Sitting out all six games would cost Roethlisberger an estimated $2.8 million.

Much more at LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5121614)

BSR
04-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Big Ben will be traded before the season starts. Bank on it !!!

ralph wiggum
04-21-2010, 03:14 PM

Maybe they'll do like the Eagles did and trade him within the division to the Browns.

Molon Labe
04-21-2010, 04:02 PM

Not going to happen. Pittsburgh won't get rid of the guy who brought them their only championships since Bradshaw.

Speedy
04-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Not going to happen. Pittsburgh won't get rid of the guy who brought them their only championships since Bradshaw.

It depends on the play of Byron Leftwich. I think he is fully capable of keeping the starting job if given a chance.

Bubba Dawg
04-21-2010, 08:40 PM
Big Ben needs to grow up. This isn't the first time he hasn't faced allegations for a similar offense. I wanted to believe him the first time but at some point, where there's smoke there's fire.

I wonder about a trade too. And rehab.

FlaGator
04-21-2010, 08:41 PM
It depends on the play of Byron Leftwich. I think he is fully capable of keeping the starting job if given a chance.

I watched Byron play here as a starter in Jacksonville for way too long. He's a good back up but that's about it.

Bubba Dawg
04-21-2010, 08:52 PM
I watched Byron play here as a starter in Jacksonville for way too long. He's a good back up but that's about it.

Me to. I liked the guy at JAX, and I saw flashes of really solid or even great play, and then he would inexplicably just go below average and stay there. Not terribel but not solid either.

I'd like to see him develop into a starterbut I don't think Pittsbuurg will trade Big Ben until they have a replacement other than Leftwich.

patriot45
04-21-2010, 09:15 PM

HA ! The Bucs gave him for a 7th round draft pick! Real hot commodity!! Big Ben is no Kobe when it comes to this stuff!

NJCardFan
04-22-2010, 06:29 AM
What I don't get is how can Goodell suspend a guy who wasn't charged with anything? What if the girl is lying? What code of conduct did he break in this case? Because some publicity seeking wench accused him of something he gets suspended? Boy, I wonder how this guy would have handled the Duke lacrosse case.

fettpett
04-22-2010, 09:57 AM
What I don't get is how can Goodell suspend a guy who wasn't charged with anything? What if the girl is lying? What code of conduct did he break in this case? Because some publicity seeking wench accused him of something he gets suspended? Boy, I wonder how this guy would have handled the Duke lacrosse case.

does it matter that he wasn't charged? do you have to be charged with a crime to be fired or suspended from your job? probably not.

there are a number of cases where guys didn't break the law or weren't charged with something when they got suspended. Pacman Jones is one. Also this is a case of at the situation and punishing him accordingly. EVERYONE in the NFL was looking at this situation and making sure that the punishments are handed out fairly and favoritism isn't given to guys that are big names and SB winners.

Also I think that the motorcycle accident affected his judgment. Brain injuries are known to affect thinking and judgment and can completely change personalities. unfortunately there isn't a whole lot that can be done for him except for therapy and even that might not help a lot

Molon Labe
04-22-2010, 10:19 AM
might have to eat my words:

Reports say the Steelers are in contact with the Rams about a possible trade for 1st round pick.

Looks like Pittsburgh means business.

Space Gravy
04-22-2010, 01:37 PM

What he did admit to was purchase alcohol for someone underage and had sex with her in a public place (The bars bathroom). This was enough for the NFL's personal conduct policy to be violated.

Rebel Yell
04-22-2010, 04:29 PM

He got suspended for being an idiot, period. That is the NFL conduct policy in a nutshell. If I already have a civil suit for sexual assault hanging over my head, as a 28 year old man, I'm not hanging out in a college bar to begin with. Big Ben is getting way too old to still be playing the frat boy. Have you ever heard him speak. If not, just look at how he wears his hat, it speaks volumes.

I think the Steelers will ship his as oput in a heartbeat if they can get a top 10 pick for him. They want to stay the classiest organization in the league, which they are.

fettpett
04-22-2010, 06:42 PM
He got suspended for being an idiot, period. That is the NFL conduct policy in a nutshell. If I already have a civil suit for sexual assault hanging over my head, as a 28 year old man, I'm not hanging out in a college bar to begin with. Big Ben is getting way too old to still be playing the frat boy. Have you ever heard him speak. If not, just look at how he wears his hat, it speaks volumes.

I think the Steelers will ship his as oput in a heartbeat if they can get a top 10 pick for him. They want to stay the classiest organization in the league, which they are.

sorry, i have to disagree, the Steelers aren't the classiest Organization. they may be up there, but they've had a lot of guys in trouble in the last few years and the Rooney's haven't done anything but moved Holmes. It's like saying they are the classiest Pimp in the strip club.

I'm a HUGE Packer fan and I don't even consider them the classiest team. It's a business all that matters is the "W"

oh, and it's very unlikely they'll trade him

Molon Labe
04-22-2010, 08:17 PM
here comes the middle of the first round of the draft. St. Lou took Bradford....so I guess Pitt isn't going to shop him anymore.

CueSi
04-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Tebow is going to the Broncos . . . I think it'll work.

~QC