PDA

View Full Version : Army disinvites Franklin Graham to Prayer Day

FlaGator
04-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Seems like the military leadership may have just drunk the super sweet PC kool-aid.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Evangelist Franklin Graham (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Religion+and+beliefs/Leaders,+Experts/Franklin+Graham)'s invitation to speak at a Pentagon prayer service has been rescinded because his comments about Islam were inappropriate, the Army said Thursday.

Graham, the son of famed evangelist Billy Graham (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Religion+and+beliefs/Leaders,+Experts/Billy+Graham), in 2001 described Islam as evil. More recently, he has said he finds Islam offensive and wants Muslims to know that Jesus Christ (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Religion+and+beliefs/God,+Saints,+Prophets/Jesus) died for their sins.

Army spokesman Col. Tom Collins said Graham's remarks were "not appropriate."
"We're an all-inclusive military," Collins said. "We honor all faiths. ... Our message to our service and civilian work force is about the need for diversity and appreciation of all faiths."

The Military Religious Freedom Foundation had raised the objection to Graham's appearance, citing his past remarks about Islam.

Collins said earlier this week that the invitation to attend the National Day of Prayer event at the Pentagon wasn't from the military but from the Colorado-based National Day of Prayer Task Force, which works with the Pentagon chaplain's office on the prayer event.

As co-honorary chair of the task force, Graham was expected to be the lead speaker at the May 6 Pentagon service. Country singer Ricky Skaggs (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Ricky+Skaggs) was expected to perform.
Since Graham's invitation was rescinded, the task force has decided not to participate in the military prayer service, Collins said.

The decision suggests a growing sensitivity in recent years among senior Pentagon officials to the divide between the U.S. military and Muslims. Graham attended a Pentagon prayer service in 2003, despite objections by Muslim groups

Whole story is here (http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2010-04-22-army-graham-prayer_N.htm)

djones520
04-23-2010, 11:57 AM
I've gotta agree with the decision on this one. I know a couple Islamic service members, and there are more then a few Islamic Chaplains as well. The military is all inclusive. So they shouldn't be elevating someone whose attacked it's own service members.

linda22003
04-23-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm with DJones on this.

FlaGator
04-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Even though he wasn't speaking to that issue then he shouldn't be allow to speak at all?

linda22003
04-23-2010, 12:05 PM
He's well known for that issue. The services are (or should be) secular in nature. They defend us all, and they are made up of us all.

djones520
04-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Your title is misleading by the way. The Army didn't disinvite him. The "Colorado-based National Day of Prayer Task Force" did.

Tell me FlaGator, if the Grand Wizard of the KKK was invited to speak to an assembly of troops, but wasn't talking about white supremacy, would you have no problem with it?

The man has nationally spoken of hatred and intolerance against the religion of a sizable fraction of US Service Members. So why should he be welcome to talk about another religion to US Service Members? This service member feels he should not be welcome. And I would say the same of anyone who says anything negative about any of our men in uniform.

djones520
04-23-2010, 12:07 PM
He's well known for that issue. The services are (or should be) secular in nature. They defend us all, and they are made up of us all.

Very well said.

FlaGator
04-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Your title is misleading by the way. The Army didn't disinvite him. The "Colorado-based National Day of Prayer Task Force" did.

Tell me FlaGator, if the Grand Wizard of the KKK was invited to speak to an assembly of troops, but wasn't talking about white supremacy, would you have no problem with it?

The man has nationally spoken of hatred and intolerance against the religion of a sizable fraction of US Service Members. So why should he be welcome to talk about another religion to US Service Members? This service member feels he should not be welcome. And I would say the same of anyone who says anything negative about any of our men in uniform.

The title comes straight from the story so it's not my title. I'll add the link.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2010-04-22-army-graham-prayer_N.htm

If the Grand Wizard of the KKK had a speciality that added value to the topic then I would have no issues with it provided it wasn't related to white surpremacy. At any rate I don't think this is a valid comparison.

The man stated the Muslim religion is a religion that advocates the death or forced assimilation of non-believers. The much of the leadership of this religion has called for the death of Americans at all cost. Military members of that faith have acted against the military both on American soil and in the Middle East. What did Franklin Graham say that was not true? Can we not speak truth if truth isn't popular because some might be offended by truth?

FlaGator
04-23-2010, 12:21 PM

Then why were they participating in a Pray Day service?

lacarnut
04-23-2010, 12:22 PM

Since you are an atheist, you are against all of those of faith speaking. Correct.

djones520
04-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Since you are an atheist, you are against all of those of faith speaking. Correct.

Nope. Every "social" military gathering I've attended since joining has had a Chaplain on hand to offer an invocation. It has never once bothered me in the slightest. I do not mind at all of the military invites a Christian to speak to the troops, or an Imam, Rabbi whatever. I do mind when that person who is invited has actively and openly attacked the religion of service members.

We respect ALL religions. The military have no business giving platform to one who cannot.

Gingersnap
04-23-2010, 12:32 PM
The title comes straight from the story so it's not my title. I'll add the link.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2010-04-22-army-graham-prayer_N.htm

If the Grand Wizard of the KKK had a speciality that added value to the topic then I would have no issues with it provided it wasn't related to white surpremacy. At any rate I don't think this is a valid comparison.

The man stated the Muslim religion is a religion that advocates the death or forced assimilation of non-believers. The much of the leadership of this religion has called for the death of Americans at all cost. Military members of that faith have acted against the military both on American soil and in the Middle East. What did Franklin Graham say that was not true? Can we not speak truth if truth isn't popular because some might be offended by truth?

I can't argue with that. I attend National Day of Prayer events and I attend other various religious events given by groups or denominations that hold views on doctrinal or theological matters that conflict with my own. Amazingly, I can benefit from some or all of this material without demanding that the organization precisely mirror my own beliefs.

I want to the Jews to be Jews and the Oneness Pentecostals to be Oneness Pentecostals and the Asatru to be Asatru. They don't have to abandon or conceal their views on my account.

lacarnut
04-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Nope. Every "social" military gathering I've attended since joining has had a Chaplain on hand to offer an invocation. It has never once bothered me in the slightest. I do not mind at all of the military invites a Christian to speak to the troops, or an Imam, Rabbi whatever. I do mind when that person who is invited has actively and openly attacked the religion of service members.

We respect ALL religions. The military have no business giving platform to one who cannot.

One dickhead objects, so Graham gets canned. If someone opposed an Iman because of his radical beliefs, the results would have been different. I guess you are too stupid to understand that.

djones520
04-23-2010, 12:43 PM
One dickhead objects, so Graham gets canned. If someone opposed an Iman because of his radical beliefs, the results would have been different. I guess you are too stupid to understand that.

I'd love to see you disagree with someone one day without throwing lame insults out. :rolleyes:

Show me an instance were a radical Imam has been invited to speak the US Troops. You honestly think the military would open that can of worms?

linda22003
04-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Then why were they participating in a Pray Day service?

Was it a required event for military personnel?

lacarnut
04-23-2010, 12:55 PM
I'd love to see you disagree with someone one day without throwing lame insults out. :rolleyes:

Show me an instance were a radical Imam has been invited to speak the US Troops. You honestly think the military would open that can of worms?

Don't get your bowels in an uproar Jr.

I can show you an instance where a raghead Major killed 12 soldiers because of political correctness. Dumb shits like you do not understand that the military is bending over backwards not to offend muslims. Like I said, if a Major can spout his bull shit while in uniform, it would not surprise me that there are religious leaders and soldiers among your ranks that feel the same way.

linda22003
04-23-2010, 12:56 PM
One dickhead objects, so Graham gets canned. If someone opposed an Iman...

"Iman"? What does a Somali fashion model married to David Bowie have to do with this?

http://www.mothersover40.com/files/iman.jpg

FlaGator
04-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Was it a required event for military personnel?

I have no idea.

noonwitch
04-23-2010, 01:02 PM
I think inviting Franklin Graham to speak at the event was wrong to begin with, because of the statements he has made about muslims. It's not appropriate to the venue, and although I tend to agree with his statements regarding the treatment of women in muslim-run nations, those are not necessarily the beliefs held by american muslims who are serving in the military.

But since he was invited, isn't it kind of rude to disinvite him? Maybe the better response to the complaint would have been to also invite a muslim speaker from a local mosque to join Rev. Franklin on the podium.

AmPat
04-23-2010, 01:02 PM

I get it and agree. Has this same yardstick been used when islamics speak? They usually have "Well known" anti-Christian beliefs.

djones520
04-23-2010, 01:05 PM
I get it and agree. Has this same yardstick been used when islamics speak? They usually have "Well known" anti-Christian beliefs.

*shrugs* I asked Lacar to show me this happening. He responded with name calling.

In my 8 years, I've never heard of a single Islamic religious authority (radical or not) speaking to an assembly of troops. But we can't use that as a measurement for the whole military.

Wei Wu Wei
04-23-2010, 01:14 PM

This guy seems to be talking the most sense in this thread in my opinion

AmPat
04-23-2010, 01:18 PM
*shrugs* I asked Lacar to show me this happening. He responded with name calling.

In my 8 years, I've never heard of a single Islamic religious authority (radical or not) speaking to an assembly of troops. But we can't use that as a measurement for the whole military.

I too have never heard it and the army made a good decision here. Had the army allowed it, we may have seen the initiation of a time where each differing religion gets a shot at their favorite target. I have been in 24 years this July and have never seen a problem between army Chaplains. let's not start now.

M21
04-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Good decision for the Army. We operate in an eccumenical environment.

That being said I find it difficult to understand how Christian Chaplains are able to perform their duties to their full potential in the in light of the Great Commission. I know some personally who feel the tension.

Rockntractor
04-23-2010, 05:49 PM
This guy seems to be talking the most sense in this thread in my opinion

We we is behind you all the way Jones!:D:D:D:D