PDA

View Full Version : Archie Comics announces new gay character

Gingersnap
04-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Archie Comics announces new gay character

By the CNN Wire Staff
April 23, 2010 2:47 a.m. EDT

(CNN) -- Riverdale High School, the stomping ground of comic book legend Archie Andrews, will open its doors to its first openly gay student.

Kevin Keller will be the new student to join Archie, Jughead, Veronica, Betty and Reggie, Archie Comics publications announced Thursday.

"The introduction of Kevin is just about keeping the world of Archie Comics current and inclusive. Archie's hometown of Riverdale has always been a safe world for everyone. It just makes sense to have an openly gay character in Archie comic books," said Jon Goldwater, Archie Comics co-CEO.

Kevin will make his entrance in the comic book in September.

Archie publishers provided a sneak peak of the the plot and a page of the comic book on its website.

The story begins when Kevin comes to Riverdale and promptly beats Jughead in a burger-eating contest. This gets the attention of Veronica who realizes that she is falling for Kevin.

"Mayhem and hilarity ensue as Kevin desperately attempts to let Veronica down easy and her flirtations only become increasingly persistent," Archie Comics said on its website.

Oh, sure - this will work fine. Humiliate a woman to amuse a gay man (again). You can never start teaching boys how to exploit girls too soon. :rolleyes:

CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/books/04/23/archie.gay/index.html?hpt=C2)

linda22003
04-23-2010, 12:03 PM
It's not a woman, it's VERONICA. She's always deserved whatever has happened to her, for at least the last fifty years.

Gingersnap
04-23-2010, 12:18 PM
It's not a woman, it's VERONICA. She's always deserved whatever has happened to her, for at least the last fifty years.

The world is full of Veronicas - they don't need any assistance from gay men to look foolish.

This character would have served a much more useful (and logical) purpose by throwing himself at Archie in a madcap display of "mayhem and hilarity" only to have Archie explain that he's not that kind of boy.

djones520
04-23-2010, 12:19 PM
The world is full of Veronicas - they don't need any assistance from gay men to look foolish.

This character would have served a much more useful (and logical) purpose by throwing himself at Archie in a madcap display of "mayhem and hilarity" only to have Archie explain that he's not that kind of boy.

When I first saw this on the news this morning, my first thought was "Hasn't anyone seen Chasing Amy?"

noonwitch
04-23-2010, 01:34 PM

If Veronica ever gets what's coming to her, Kevin and Reggie will move in together as Reggie explores his sexuality, and Archie will marry Betty.

Articulate_Ape
04-23-2010, 01:58 PM
I always thought that every character in the Archie franchise was gay.

Megaguns91
04-23-2010, 02:30 PM
I always thought that every character in the Archie franchise was gay.

/Cough.

Articulate_Ape
04-23-2010, 02:37 PM
What.

BSR
04-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Wow, Archie comics?

This is relevant......... to 1950.

What's next? Lawrence Welk is going to teach us about transgender relations? :rolleyes:

FlaGator
04-23-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm waiting for the issue where Moose kicks Kevin's butt and then goes to Riverdale State Prison for 15 years after being convicted of a hate crime. That is where he learns what real homophobia is.

Megaguns91
04-23-2010, 03:15 PM
What.
:D

CueSi
04-23-2010, 03:42 PM
If Veronica ever gets what's coming to her, Kevin and Reggie will move in together as Reggie explores his sexuality, and Archie will marry Betty.

I could definitely live with that.

I always thought Reggie was the closet case anyhow.

~QC

FlaGator
04-23-2010, 03:51 PM
I could definitely live with that.

I always thought Reggie was the closet case anyhow.

~QC

Reggie's bravado was overcompensation for some character defect. :D

Uh oh. I've done it now. I've equated homosexuality with a character defect.

JB
04-23-2010, 07:18 PM
This character would have served a much more useful (and logical) purpose by throwing himself at Archie in a madcap display of "mayhem and hilarity" only to have Archie explain that he's not that kind of boy.Nice. :D

You should call them and offer your services as a volunteer editor.

Rockntractor
04-23-2010, 07:22 PM

Nova will be on you like stink on shit, Quite literally I might add!:D

NJCardFan
04-24-2010, 01:23 AM
They are only about 20 years behind For Better or Worse in being the first comic to introduce a gay character.

fettpett
04-24-2010, 09:40 AM
They are only about 20 years behind For Better or Worse in being the first comic to introduce a gay character.

who's gay in that comic?

linda22003
04-24-2010, 10:06 AM
who's gay in that comic?

It's the mom's brother, I think. Haven't seen that strip in a long time.

fettpett
04-24-2010, 10:10 AM
It's the mom's brother, I think. Haven't seen that strip in a long time.

oh....he's so rarely in the strip and i see it so seldom that i didn't even know she had a brother let alone he was gay. It's one of the few comic series that actually has the characters grow older.

the biggest downfall to newspapers going the way of the dodo is comic strips will start disappearing. though some of them are online, most people don't get them that way. :(

NJCardFan
04-24-2010, 11:41 AM
who's gay in that comic?

Michael's best friend Lawrence. I remember at the time it created a considerable bit of controversy. Late 80's or early 90's I can't remember. I really enjoyed that comic strip. The strip when their dog died was very powerful. They did a lot of social commentary but not in a moonbat sort of way. IIRC, in the later years they did a storyline where Elizabeth nearly gets raped. Pretty strong stuff for a comic strip.

BadCat
04-24-2010, 03:14 PM

Hey, that's MY department!!