PDA

View Full Version : The Tea Party, the Civil Rights movement, and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Wei Wu Wei
04-25-2010, 06:23 PM
I've noticed lately many comparisons between today's tea party movement and the grassroots movements half a century ago regarding civil rights. Specifically, on the Glenn Beck program (who I realize isn't the "leader" of the movement, but who also carries much favor amongst the Tea Partiers) there has been much comparison to these movements and a lot of well deserved memorials and respect towards Dr. Martin Luther King Jr (Who I consider to be one of the, if not the greatest single American in the last century who stood up and both preached and PRACTICED the true teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ).

By preaching equality, justice, love, and most importantly non-violence, some consider MLK to be a modern Prophet, and almost all consider him to be a truly Great Man.

I would like to know, how do to Tea Party people feel about MLK? How do the Tea Party feel about the Civil Rights movement?

Do you support and agree with the views and actions of Dr. Martin Luther King? Do you agree with the views and actions of the non-violent participants of the civil rights movement?

Do you see parallels between that movement and the modern Tea Party movement?

Sonnabend
04-25-2010, 07:19 PM
I would like to know, how do to Tea Party people feel about MLK? How do the Tea Party feel about the Civil Rights movement?

Seeing as the DEMOCRATS were the ones to filibuster the Civil Rights Bill, seeing as Democrats have a KKK Grand Kleagle in their midst, seeing as it was a Democrat (Wallace) who set the dogs on King, seeing it was a Democrat (Gore Snr) who opposed desegregation...I'd say you are asking the wrong question to the wrong people.

Wei Wu Wei
04-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Seeing as the DEMOCRATS were the ones to filibuster the Civil Rights Bill, seeing as Democrats have a KKK Grand Kleagle in their midst, seeing as it was a Democrat (Wallace) who set the dogs on King, seeing it was a Democrat (Gore Snr) who opposed desegregation...I'd say you are asking the wrong question to the wrong people.

As the Tea Party members constantly say, it's not about PARTY, it's about VALUES.

Parties change (as the Tea Party preaches cosntantly, citing that the Republican party changed from it's values but can move back in the 'right' direction).

Maybe the people who entered the political party with D where on the wrong side of history, but if the Tea Party believes the Republican party can change in 2 years, why should we accept that the Democrat party could not changed in 65 years?

Tea Partiers always make the distiction between LIBERALS and CONSERVATIVES, because political parties don't always maintain those values.

Which side of the civil rights movement were the LIBERALS of the 50's and 60's on?
Which side were the CONSERVATIVES on?

Sonnabend
04-25-2010, 07:32 PM
As the Tea Party members constantly say, it's not about PARTY, it's about VALUES.

Parties change (as the Tea Party preaches cosntantly, citing that the Republican party changed from it's values but can move back in the 'right' direction).

Maybe the people who entered the political party with D where on the wrong side of history, but if the Tea Party believes the Republican party can change in 2 years, why should we accept that the Democrat party could not changed in 65 years?

We know it hasn't. Which side referred to Dr Rice in epithets?> Which one referred to Gen Powell as an "oreo"?

Tea Partiers always make the distiction between LIBERALS and CONSERVATIVES, because political parties don't always maintain those values. Which side of the civil rights movement were the LIBERALS of the 50's and 60's on?

The liberals wanted segregation. As for conservatives, one of the most famous stood beside Dr King at his speech. Charlton Heston.

You didnt know?

Lager
04-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Do you see parallels between that movement and the modern Tea Party movement?

No except for the fact that they gather in groups and hold protests

Nubs
04-25-2010, 08:11 PM
I say I agree the we should not be judged by the color of our skin but by the content of our character

Seems to me many forget the bold face portion.

NJCardFan
04-25-2010, 08:13 PM
WeeWee is just another revisionist history liberal. And I have a question: What in the history of Republican politics that is so anti-black? Please name me one racist piece of legislation. Just one. Oh, and while you're chasing that windmill, kindly look at which party founded and enforced the Jim Crow laws. Which party fought civil rights tooth and nail. Which party created the KKK. Parties change, huh. And Hezbollah is no longer a terrorist organization.

The Democratic Party has dome more damage to minorities than your blind eye is willing to see. Affirmative Action, welfare programs, entitlements, are all designed to keep them subservient to the government.

Wei Wu Wei
04-25-2010, 08:19 PM
WeeWee is just another revisionist history liberal. And I have a question: What in the history of Republican politics that is so anti-black? Please name me one racist piece of legislation. Just one. Oh, and while you're chasing that windmill, kindly look at which party founded and enforced the Jim Crow laws. Which party fought civil rights tooth and nail. Which party created the KKK. Parties change, huh. And Hezbollah is no longer a terrorist organization.

The Democratic Party has dome more damage to minorities than your blind eye is willing to see. Affirmative Action, welfare programs, entitlements, are all designed to keep them subservient to the government.

Again, it's not about party. Parties can change in a matter of a few years, calling out a party for what they did half a century ago, when filled with totally different people, totally undermines the the Tea Party's current support of Republicans.

However, this isn't meant to be about Democrats vs Republicans or even Liberals vs Conservatives.

It's about MLK and the Tea Party, who i've seen recently being compared a lot.

I'm curious about the Tea Party's views on the civil rights movement, and on Martin Luther King Jr.

Apocalypse
04-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Again, another Dumbass tries to paint the TEA party as raciest, surprise surprise.... But yet they can come up with NO proof of the party as a whole as being raciest. But the odd loser or mole and they use him to paint the party as a whole.

The media portrayed the movement as dangerous and violent, they are just string up trouble. They are ridiculed by the “establishment.” They were called radicals and a “fringe” group and often had racists remarks hurled at them while they themselves were called racists.

Sounds like the typical 6 o’clock news reporting on a Tea Party rally right? Nope! This is what the national media had to say about another “trouble maker” and “anti-government rabble-rouser,” Dr. Martin Luther King!

And yea, there are similarities.

Ranger Rick
04-25-2010, 08:22 PM
No except for the fact that they gather in groups and hold protests

I do. Both preach non-violence, equal rights. And that includes the right to be taxed. Dr King would be a Tea Partier, and he would be welcome. I call your attention to the lack of arrests, of violence, property damage, at Tea Party rallies.

I would not compare the Tea Party to the civil rights movement. It is something not seen in 200 years. You may very well never understand it.

Wei Wu Wei
04-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Again, another Dumbass tries to paint the TEA party as raciest, surprise surprise.... But yet they can come up with NO proof of the party as a whole as being raciest. But the odd loser or mole and they use him to paint the party as a whole.

Projecting much? I never said the Tea Party is racist. I was watching Glenn Beck the other day and he was talking about how the Tea Party is similar in values, motivation, and impact to the Civil Rights movement half a century ago, and he was invoking the name of MLK jr as someone the Tea Party members should look up to. That doesn't sound racist at all.

I'm simply asking the conservatives and Tea Party members here how they feel about the civil rights movement and about MLK JR,

The media portrayed the movement as dangerous and violent, they are just string up trouble. They are ridiculed by the “establishment.” They were called radicals and a “fringe” group and often had racists remarks hurled at them while they themselves were called racists.

Sounds like the typical 6 o’clock news reporting on a Tea Party rally right? Nope! This is what the national media had to say about another “trouble maker” and “anti-government rabble-rouser,” Dr. Martin Luther King!

And yea, there are similarities.

Yes I watched that Glenn Beck program this is exactly what I'm talking about.

Rockntractor
04-25-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm curious about the Tea Party's views on the civil rights movement, and on Martin Luther King Jr.

You are a liar. You say that you listen to Glenn Beck, if you did you would know the answer to your question. He has been explaining it lately on his radio show and TV. You are not asking honest questions, you're a disruptor plane and simple.

Wei Wu Wei
04-25-2010, 08:30 PM
You are a liar. You say that you listen to Glenn Beck, if you did you would know the answer to your question. He has been explaining it lately on his radio show and TV. You are not asking honest questions, you're a disruptor plane and simple.

He was explaining it, but I can't talk to Glenn directly now can I? I can, however, communicate with Tea Party members who may or may nor share those views, which is what I'm doing.

Rockntractor
04-25-2010, 08:36 PM
He was explaining it, but I can't talk to Glenn directly now can I? I can, however, communicate with Tea Party members who may or may nor share those views, which is what I'm doing.

If you don't know what they stand for by now you are an even bigger idiot than I thought you were. You have had it explained to you ad nauseam. Put the keyboard down and your bong I might add and read for awhile.

NJCardFan
04-25-2010, 08:38 PM
but I can't talk to Glenn directly now can I?
Um, he does have a radio show. You're just too chicken shit to call.

Sonnabend
04-25-2010, 08:38 PM
He was explaining it, but I can't talk to Glenn directly now can I?

Yes you can. (http://www.glennbeck.com/content/program/contact/)

Wei Wu Wei
04-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Um, he does have a radio show. You're just too chicken shit to call.

I've tried calling into the Beck's show, Rush's show, and Hannity's show several times.

Never gotten through, I did get to the screeners a few times on Hannity's show but unfortunately every time it was towards the end of the show and they were booked up on callers for the rest of the hour. :(

Wei Wu Wei
04-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Yes you can. (http://www.glennbeck.com/content/program/contact/)

I'm not just looking for an email or a 40 second conversation where I get hung up on. Besides, Beck is just a host, an entertainer. The real movement is in the Tea Party members themselves, and they are the ones who I'd like to talk to, and I don't just mean bickering and insults, but real discussion.

Sonnabend
04-25-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm not just looking for an email or a 40 second conversation where I get hung up on. Besides, Beck is just a host, an entertainer.

You get hung up on in an email discussion?

The real movement is in the Tea Party members themselves, and they are the ones who I'd like to talk to, and I don't just mean bickering and insults, but real discussion.

So go to one of their rallies and talk to them personally.

Wei Wu Wei
04-25-2010, 08:55 PM

I would love to, unfortunately I was busy on the 15th and I missed the rallies then. I knew there were going to be big rallies and I REALLY wanted to go, but I had other priorities to take care of.

However, when I do find "republican" and "conservative" groups I almost always (assuming I'm not on my way to some sort of appointment) stop and talk with them.

However, this issue is something I just thought about because I've been seeing the Tea Party - MLK connection being talked about this week on the Glenn Beck program. Unfortunately I don't have a group of Tea Partiers waiting outside of my home to talk to any time I want, but I do have access to a website full of opinionated conservatives and some Tea Party members.

What's wrong with asking here, this IS a discussion forum isn't?

Sonnabend
04-25-2010, 08:58 PM
I would love to, unfortunately I was busy on the 15th and I missed the rallies then. I knew there were going to be big rallies and I REALLY wanted to go, but I had other priorities to take care of.

However, when I do find "republican" and "conservative" groups I almost always (assuming I'm not on my way to some sort of appointment) stop and talk with them.

So find out when the next one is. Cant be that hard.

However, this issue is something I just thought about because I've been seeing the Tea Party - MLK connection being talked about this week on the Glenn Beck program. Unfortunately I don't have a group of Tea Partiers waiting outside of my home to talk to any time I want, but I do have access to a website full of opinionated conservatives and some Tea Party members.

Well yes, seeing as you can say things here, and not have the guts to say them face to face with Tea Party members

Find out when the next rally is.
Go and talk to them.
Ask the questions.
Come back here and tell us how you went.

Simple.

Rockntractor
04-25-2010, 09:00 PM

So how did you like MLK's niece when Beck interviewed her?

Constitutionally Speaking
04-25-2010, 09:10 PM

Tea Partiers always make the distiction between LIBERALS and CONSERVATIVES, because political parties don't always maintain those values.

Which side of the civil rights movement were the LIBERALS of the 50's and 60's on?

The Conservatives have ALWAYS been on the side of individual liberty and individual sovereignty. The liberals have ALWAYS been on the side of group power and government sovereignty.

We might believe that the Democrats could change except that EVERY action they take proves otherwise.

Wei Wu Wei
04-25-2010, 10:32 PM
So how did you like MLK's niece when Beck interviewed her?

Her stories about her involvement in the civil rights movement were very touching.

Wei Wu Wei
04-25-2010, 10:34 PM
So find out when the next one is. Cant be that hard.

Well yes, seeing as you can say things here, and not have the guts to say them face to face with Tea Party members

Find out when the next rally is.
Go and talk to them.
Ask the questions.
Come back here and tell us how you went.

Simple.

If you don't want to respond to anything you don't have to. I'm here to discuss issues with conservatives, as are most people here, so that's what I intend to do.

Rockntractor
04-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Her stories about her involvement in the civil rights movement were very touching.
She didn't tell them to be touching, what did she say about Glenn beck and the tea party movement?

NJCardFan
04-25-2010, 10:41 PM

Did you miss the chickenshit comment I made?:D