PDA

View Full Version : Good qualities of controversial presidents

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-27-2010, 06:38 AM
For conservatives, there are obviously some very controversial Presidents. The presidents most disliked by conservatives I've noticed are Carter, FDR, LBJ, TR, Lincoln, Wilson and to a lesser extent Kennedy, Truman and Nixon.

So I was wondering..for conservatives here who do dislike the persons or presidencies of any of the above presidents, can you name something in your view that they did good either in or out of office, or good aspects of their character, or good domestic or foreign policies enacted by them.

For myself, I am not a big fan of Reagan but I will admit he revived the spirit of the nation and helped the nation to heal from the tragedies and embarrassments of the '60s and '70s; He lit a new fire in Americans' hearts and had some good domestic policies for the time. His foreign policy record of peace through strength is also something I can applaud, as was his championing of the Space Shuttle (though Nixon first approved of it's creation back when he was president).

lacarnut
04-27-2010, 06:52 AM
Most conservatives do not hate. Most Liberals do hate. I know it is hard for your feeble brain to comprehend that concept. Without that basic premise, a discussion with a liberal like you falls flat on its face.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-27-2010, 06:54 AM
Most conservatives do not hate. Most Liberals do hate. I know it is hard for your feeble brain to comprehend that concept. Without that basic premise, a discussion with a liberal like you falls flat on its face.

Ok, how about intensely dislike or dislike the presidencies of?

lacarnut
04-27-2010, 07:04 AM
Ok, how about intensely dislike or dislike the presidencies of?

Why edit the language in your original post from HATE to dislike when that is what you meant and that is what many liberals think.

lacarnut
04-27-2010, 07:08 AM
For conservatives, there are obviously some very controversial Presidents. The presidents most HATED by conservatives I've noticed are Carter, FDR, LBJ, TR, Lincoln, Wilson and to a lesser extent Kennedy, Truman and Nixon.

So I was wondering..for conservatives here who HATE the persons or presidencies of any of the above presidents, can you name something in your view that they did good either in or out of office, or good aspects of their character, or good domestic or foreign policies enacted by them.

For myself, I am not a big fan of Reagan but I will admit he revived the spirit of the nation and helped the nation to heal from the tragedies and embarrassments of the '60s and '70s; He lit a new fire in Americans' hearts and had some good domestic policies for the time. His foreign policy record of peace through strength is also something I can applaud, as was his championing of the Space Shuttle (though Nixon first approved of it's creation back when he was president).

Edited for accuracy

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-27-2010, 07:12 AM

Why edit the language in your original post from HATE to dislike when that is what you meant and that is what many liberals think.

No, I didn't mean hate in the normal sense, I meant an intense disagreement/dislike of the men and/or their policies.

PoliCon
04-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Off the top of my head - I like that Truman dropped the bomb and ended the war. I like that Kennedy stood up to communism and did not back down. The rest of them had such contempt for the constitution and the rule of law that I cannot think of anything good to say about them.

fettpett
04-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Off the top of my head - I like that Truman dropped the bomb and ended the war. I like that Kennedy stood up to communism and did not back down. The rest of them had such contempt for the constitution and the rule of law that I cannot think of anything good to say about them.

even Lincoln?

PoliCon
04-27-2010, 10:18 AM
even Lincoln?

Are you aware of how badly Lincoln violated civil rights and how damaging his presidency was to the constitution? :confused:

Sonnabend
04-27-2010, 10:19 AM
even Lincoln?

Lincoln violated the letter and the spirit of the 10th amendment.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
04-27-2010, 11:22 AM

You wouldn't say that FDR allowing the military to go all out--Firebombing Japan, Firebombing Germany--going all out total war in order to crush the German morale--Going to the point of completely merciless warfare to win was admirable? I'd say that's the sign of a good commander in chief--One who is unafraid to do what it makes to make America win and to reduce American casualties as much as possible.

Or Nixon, not backing down to the Hippies desire to pull all the troops out of Vietnam on January 21st 1969 and bombing North Vietnam to the negotiating table. I mean he inherited a huge mess--a deeply divided country over Vietnam and instead of taking the easy route and have us run home as soon as he got in did try to fight and at least make it a somewhat noble victory? And investigating groups like the Blank Panthers and Weathermen and those groups who spat on the troops--these people were and still are our enemies and people like the Weathermen were like the first modern American terrorists and Nixon stood on the right side and tried to attack these groups. Or Alger Hiss....

PoliCon
04-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Wilson did send troops to Russia to help the whites . . . I guess I can give him some minor credit for that.