PDA

View Full Version : Brit Ghost/Demon Sightings Highest In 25 Years.

Gingersnap
04-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Ghost sightings highest in 25 years

Spooky sightings of ghouls, ghosts and evil spirits are higher than they have been in the past 25 years, according to a new report on haunted Britain.

Published: 7:00AM BST 26 Apr 2010

There have been nearly 1,000 reports of demonic activity in the past quarter of a century, with Yorkshire the nation's most ghostly county.

Encounters with devils, demons and evil spirits are as widespread today as they were in medieval times, researchers claim.

The research was led by the UKs leading authority on the unexplained Lionel Fanthorpe who studied various archives and websites as well as his own reports to identify all sightings and recordings of supernatural beings with satanic qualities.

The study found that despite being in time of accelerating technology, 21st century Britons have not turned their back on ghouls, boggarts, hell-hounds, witches, wizards, banshees and black magic curses, with a whopping 968 reports of demonic activity in the past 25 years.

The report indentifies Yorkshire as the centre of ghostly goings-on demonic activity with 74 reports of demons, including Uncabus and Succubus (male and female demons that make sexual attacks on sleeping victims), instances of demonic possession and sightings of hell hounds, water demons and demons with repulsive forms such as ghouls and werewolves.

Sightings of demons in Yorkshire have included a hideous shadow-like hell-hound with no discernible facial features which collided with a car between Northallerton and Leeming Bar on the A684. A sea-going water demon has also been reported off Filey Bay in Yorkshire. Witnesses claimed to have seen a ghostly creature with a long neck, a vast serpentine body and glowing eyes.

Interesting.

Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7631387/Ghost-sightings-highest-in-25-years.html)

FlaGator
04-27-2010, 10:55 AM
The should check for ectoplasm flowing like rivers beneath the streets.

noonwitch
04-27-2010, 04:18 PM
If the british didn't have such good imaginations, we would have been deprived of some of our favorite books from childhood-like Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, and so on.

I wonder if reports of demons and such increase during difficult financial times? That would make for an interesting psych study.

Dan D. Doty
05-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Sooner, or later everyone knew I had to comment on this.

Firstly, the Britian is the most haunted on Earth ( have more haunted houses and sites ).
Second, with the added Tv programs about hauntings ( Ghost Hunters and its clones) , people are reporting hauntings more ( just like they are in the US).

What would be a real shock, is if all encounters were reported ( about 90% are not).

Articulate_Ape
05-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the post, Ginger. Maybe it makes me a loon, but I love this stuff.

Space Gravy
05-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Sooner, or later everyone knew I had to comment on this.

Firstly, the Britian is the most haunted on Earth ( have more haunted houses and sites ).
Second, with the added Tv programs about hauntings ( Ghost Hunters and its clones) , people are reporting hauntings more ( just like they are in the US).

What would be a real shock, is if all encounters were reported ( about 90% are not).

That's what I was thinking too. It seems like most cable networks have a show with people running around with camcorders looking for ghosts. It seems like kind of a fad.

NJCardFan
05-02-2010, 03:18 AM
If the british didn't have such good imaginations, we would have been deprived of some of our favorite books from childhood-like Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, and so on.

I wonder if reports of demons and such increase during difficult financial times? That would make for an interesting psych study.

Opium is a very good writing aid isn't it? I find it hard to believe that Dodgson(aka Lewis Carroll) wasn't tripping when he wrote Alice in Wonderland.

noonwitch
05-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Opium is a very good writing aid isn't it? I find it hard to believe that Dodgson(aka Lewis Carroll) wasn't tripping when he wrote Alice in Wonderland.

Maybe opium worked for him, and for Coleridge, but it causes a whole lot of other people to just lay around until they nod out and never accomplish anything meaningful, except maybe to give birth to an addicted baby that someone else will raise.

There's a good movie about Coleridge's struggle-Pandemonium. It makes Wordsworth look like a manipulative thief, though. The ending credits are worth watching through, to see the scenes of a totally wasted Coleridge walking through modern London to the sound of ONJ's Xanadu.

Junkies piss me off more than any other kind of addict, except for any addict who gets violent either when high or when wanting to get high.

Dan D. Doty
05-04-2010, 11:32 PM
That's what I was thinking too. It seems like most cable networks have a show with people running around with camcorders looking for ghosts. It seems like kind of a fad.

In the old days, investigaters had to look for cold stops, check for EMR, and believe it or not, they used dogs, cats and rattle snakes to detect hauntings.

Gingersnap
05-04-2010, 11:52 PM
As a Christian, I don't actually believe in ghosts (except during October) so it's interesting to me that as organized religion contracts and is becoming more "doctrinal", we have way more paranormal belief among the agnostic, self-identified atheists, and the merely "spiritual".

Articulate_Ape
05-04-2010, 11:56 PM
As a Christian, I don't actually believe in ghosts (except during October) so it's interesting to me that as organized religion contracts and is becoming more "doctrinal", we have way more paranormal belief among the agnostic, self-identified atheists, and the merely "spiritual".

You believe in a holy spirit, no?

Gingersnap
05-05-2010, 12:14 AM
You believe in a holy spirit, no?

Actually, I believe in the Holy Ghost (we're hopelessly Old School on this point) but I don't belive it inhabits old wine cellers on the off-chance some spook enthusiasts will spend the night there uploading blurry pics to YouTube.

Call me crazy....:p

fettpett
05-05-2010, 12:58 AM

I completely agree with you. I don't believe in ghosts as I don't believe that the body and spirit are separate "things" that a Soul is both.

however I do believe that demons are screwing with people and getting them to believe this stuff pretty easy, give just enough info and people will want more and keep searching.

That said I love watching Destination Truth and similar shows (don't watch either Ghost Hunters though) but it's mostly not for the haunting's part

Kay
05-05-2010, 08:15 AM
How can you believe in demons (evil spirits), but not in good spirits (regular joe spirit)?

If the spirit lives on to go to heaven - meaning it leaves the body and lives on outside
the body - then why is it so hard to believe that one might still be hanging around here.

Gingersnap
05-05-2010, 09:49 AM
How can you believe in demons (evil spirits), but not in good spirits (regular joe spirit)?

If the spirit lives on to go to heaven - meaning it leaves the body and lives on outside
the body - then why is it so hard to believe that one might still be hanging around here.

Demons aren't human, for one thing. Humans die and then get judged. Different denominations vary on the timetable for this. For some, it's instant and others believe that all human beings will be judged at once. Those that believe in a future, total judgment also believe that human souls are in a suspended supernatural state until that moment.

My own bunch considers your Final Destination just that: final. There's no to-ing and fro-ing between heaven and earth, no "lost" souls, no talking to the dead via mediums or whatever they call themselves at the moment. We would consider paranormal events to be supernatural (maybe demonic) but not human. That's just the way we roll. ;)

Space Gravy
05-05-2010, 02:02 PM

Good point.

As an agnostic I'm on the "I don't believe in haunted houses/ghosts" side.

Rockntractor
05-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the post, Ginger. Maybe it makes me a loon, but I love this stuff.

Do you listen to Coast to Coast AM?

Gingersnap
05-07-2010, 10:12 PM

We all do. Did you know you that George Noory is kind of conservative? At least he's right of the left-of-center types. :)

Rockntractor
05-07-2010, 10:17 PM
We all do. Did you know you that George Noory is kind of conservative? At least he's right of the left-of-center types. :)

He was happy when Obama won and so was Art Bell. Noory isn't so happy now but Bell isn't wising up any.
I think Ian Punnett might be Policon!

Articulate_Ape
05-08-2010, 01:58 AM

No. Why?

fettpett
05-08-2010, 08:43 AM
I listen to Coast to Coast when I'm up late enough and find a station that comes it....there have been a number of times that I had to turn it off because I got that "creepy feeling" that wouldn't go away till I did.

Art Bell lives in the Philippines and has for a number of years, he doesn't have to live under this crap so it doesn't matter to him.

Norry has always been back and forth on his political views, and very contradictorily. it's the same with his religion-philosophical beliefs and who his guest is. :D

noonwitch
05-10-2010, 12:06 PM

Even when I practiced Wicca, I never really had any kind of supernatural experience that I couldn't find a concrete explaination for-except for this one apartment I lived in in Grand Rapids. I'm not saying it was haunted, but there were weird noises at night, my dog would just go crazy and bark at the vacant air sometimes, and somehow, everytime I took a shower and the mirror steamed up, there would be a Q written in the steam when I got out of the shower. I took the mirror down, looked for a pattern in the glass or wood that could account for it, and didn't find one, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a logical reason for that occurrence. For what it's worth, it looked like it had been drawn by a finger.

The night my grandma died, I dreamed about her. She came to me in my dream as herself, not the frail woman in the nursing home that she had become, and told me to hurry up and get pregnant before it was too late. I got an email from Grandpa that morning to tell me she had died.

My sister swears she saw ghosts in New Orleans, but she was there for Mardi Gras and the influence of legal and possible illegal mind-altering chemicals can't be ruled out.

One of my coworkers reported, after a home call, that she felt the presence of "pure evil" in the home she had just visited. She had no concrete reason for feeling that way, but she also felt it was a denomic presence. She's the pentecostal, promiscuous, borderline stalker I've mentioned before. She let me read her tarot cards once, even though I warned her that by the rules of her own faith, she was placing her soul in mortal danger by participating. Anyway, I advised her not to go there again without bringing someone else along.

I think that some humans have abilities that can't be explained. My coworker, for example, may have sensed something scary about the people in that home, but her mind translated it to denomic because that's the belief system in which she was brought up. But the discomfort she felt may have been based on an instinctual perception that the people she was dealing with were people who are not right in the head, or who are harboring ill will toward her.

I know I'm opening up a big door here, but I actually have been reflecting on my time practicing Wicca, and I wonder sometimes if the reason the spells I cast never really amounted to anything, or the reason I never accidentally conjured up something bad, was because I had had a born again christian experience as a teenager, and that I was being protected from it to some degreee on a spiritual level.

Gingersnap
05-10-2010, 12:33 PM
I think that some humans have abilities that can't be explained. My coworker, for example, may have sensed something scary about the people in that home, but her mind translated it to denomic because that's the belief system in which she was brought up. But the discomfort she felt may have been based on an instinctual perception that the people she was dealing with were people who are not right in the head, or who are harboring ill will toward her.

I know I'm opening up a big door here, but I actually have been reflecting on my time practicing Wicca, and I wonder sometimes if the reason the spells I cast never really amounted to anything, or the reason I never accidentally conjured up something bad, was because I had had a born again christian experience as a teenager, and that I was being protected from it to some degreee on a spiritual level.

My BFF nursed her MIL at the MIL's home as she was dying. The MIL had been a somewhat demanding woman but not unusual. She had no interest in religion. By all accounts she was a garden-variety agnostic who pretty much expected to die and become mulch.

My BFF said that as she drew nearer to death, the MIL became very agitated and fought harder than she had for months. Now, she was being given medication to lower anxiety and had been on this medication for several months; it had worked well for her. She apparently saw something that she perceived as relating to her Final Destination.

The BFF said that all that afternoon she felt something horrible around the MIL. It got progressively worse. The BFF thought the MIL was sleeping and she went into another room to read the bible and pray. The MIL started screaming when she opened her bible. She stopped when my BFF closed the bible and just put her head down on a desk for a moment.

She is still freaked out beyond belief over this. She says that she never felt such evil before or since.

I wouldn't doubt that your earlier exposure to Christianity may been protective in some way. There's lot out there that we don't understand too well.

Kay
05-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Too much to type the whole story out right now, but my brother and his family lived in a haunted house. Some really strange things happened there when they first moved in. Finally it settled down and they lived there 4 years or so in peace.

Then after they sold the house (small town, people they knew bought it) the new owner stopped my brother one day and said, "hey I want to ask you something. I know this is going to sound really strange, but when you lived in our house did you notice strange happenings?" He went on to tell about ways the ghost was messing with them too. Years later, a now grown neice told us she didn't like to visit there when she was little because she 'saw things' she was afraid to talk about before.

Pretty creepy.

noonwitch
05-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Too much to type the whole story out right now, but my brother and his family lived in a haunted house. Some really strange things happened there when they first moved in. Finally it settled down and they lived there 4 years or so in peace.

Then after they sold the house (small town, people they knew bought it) the new owner stopped my brother one day and said, "hey I want to ask you something. I know this is going to sound really strange, but when you lived in our house did you notice strange happenings?" He went on to tell about ways the ghost was messing with them too. Years later, a now grown neice told us she didn't like to visit there when she was little because she 'saw things' she was afraid to talk about before.

Pretty creepy.

My cousin told me a story about how she thought her house was haunted around the time she was divorcing her first husband, who was a mentally unstable Vietnam Vet that abused her and frightened the children on a regular basis. Her daughter, who was a preteen at the time, told her that a female spirit was talking to her at night, and telling her to hurt her parents. My cousin had her pastor come and perform a house blessing after her husband finally left, and the presence left.

In that case, I'm not so sure it was a ghost because the only person it contacted was the pre-teen daughter. In those cases, the ghostbuster types will say it's a poltergeist, and the source of the presence is the pre-teen girl-that young girls in that age group are able to expend kinetic energy without necessarily being conscious of what they are doing-kind of a second personality that is projected outside of the child's body. I don't necessarily agree with that theory, but I also don't think the situation was a classic haunting, either.

After she told me about all that, my cousin went on to tell me all about the Bell Witch of Tennesee, which I had read about as a kid in the classroom Scholastic magazine. Her second cousin actually went down to Adams, TN to check it all out, but he saw and heard nothing out of the ordinary. I will never go there, and would go out of my way to avoid that area after reading those stories.

fettpett
05-10-2010, 04:04 PM
there are some strange things that go on.

My MIL had an experience when she was a kid. her and her siblings were house sitting a parsonage and the church that they attended. My MI, her best friend and her sister stayed at the church while their brothers stayed at the parsonage. In the middle of the night my MIL and her friend got woke up by a *thump thump* on the bricks of the church. Through most of the night they couldn't wake up my MIL sister and they kept hearing crazy things. like scratching on a window that was too high for anyone to reach, they couldn't open the door that locked from the inside. they called her bothers to see if they were screwing with them, but they had been at the house watching TV.

the freakiest part was when the Pastors cat looked at them and told them "bring me the scroll". Apparently the Pastor had gotten his hands on a scroll of some kind that was used by Satan worshipers or something along those lines. when he heard about it, he immediately returned it.

but the most interesting testimonial i've ever read is A Trip into the Supernatural (http://english.sdaglobal.org/testimony/supnatr.htm). I've met Rodger Morneau's friend Cecile. Cecile came to my church and did a sermon on it.

marinejcksn
05-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Sounds like that National Healthcare has some great brain medicine. :rolleyes: