PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't The Gulf Oil Rig Explosion Seem Fishy To Anyone?

NJCardFan
04-30-2010, 12:14 PM
I dunno. For years these rigs have been up and running with nary a problem. They even made it through Katrina relatively unscathed. Now, after Obama proclaimed that we were going to do more drilling off shore, one suddenly explodes? I believe this was sabotage by the environmentalists. Even though they knew it would pose a serious threat to the ecosystem of the Gulf, it is a means to an end. Am I alone here?

djones520
04-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Sure, there is a possibility for it, but I'm not gonna bite any of these theories until there is evidence.

Also, according to The Minerals Management Service, there was 39 fires or explosions reported from off shore rigs in the Gulf of Mexico in the first 5 months of 2009 alone. So I don't think this is entirely unprecedented.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/21/oil.rig.explosion/index.html?hpt=T1

Rockntractor
04-30-2010, 12:19 PM
I dunno. For years these rigs have been up and running with nary a problem. They even made it through Katrina relatively unscathed. Now, after Obama proclaimed that we were going to do more drilling off shore, one suddenly explodes? I believe this was sabotage by the environmentalists. Even though they knew it would pose a serious threat to the ecosystem of the Gulf, it is a means to an end. Am I alone here?
It is to coincidental, so was the coal mine accident!

NJCardFan
04-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Sure, there is a possibility for it, but I'm not gonna bite any of these theories until there is evidence.

Also, according to The Minerals Management Service, there was 39 fires or explosions reported from off shore rigs in the Gulf of Mexico in the first 5 months of 2009 alone. So I don't think this is entirely unprecedented.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/21/oil.rig.explosion/index.html?hpt=T1

But none of this magnitude. A fire on an oil rig is as common as a flood on a boat. It happens. you're dealing with a fuel source so fires and small explosions are going to happen. However, it just seems fishy that after it was said that we were going to do more drilling, not to mention it was the day before Earth Day, we have a massive explosion big enough to sink the thing. Let me put it this way. It's probably a coincidence but I won't be shocked if something comes from it.

FlaGator
04-30-2010, 12:43 PM
I will need some evidence before I indulge in that type of speculation. Occam's Razor...

djones520
04-30-2010, 12:47 PM
But none of this magnitude. A fire on an oil rig is as common as a flood on a boat. It happens. you're dealing with a fuel source so fires and small explosions are going to happen. However, it just seems fishy that after it was said that we were going to do more drilling, not to mention it was the day before Earth Day, we have a massive explosion big enough to sink the thing. Let me put it this way. It's probably a coincidence but I won't be shocked if something comes from it.

I find it equally unlikely that a team of ecoterrorists managed to infilitrate enough explosives onto that rig without anyone noticing. It's a big ass structure that as you so accurately pointed out withstood a force like Katrina. Your every day pipe bomb isn't going to do that type of damage. 120 some odd workers on that rig, it seems unlikely that this was sabatoge.

I've read that there was issues of pressure in a new construction, and they think it may have been a massive blowout resulting from that.

Also, Huffington Post is reporting that Halliburton may be responisble. :p

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/30/halliburton-may-be-culpri_n_558481.html

FlaGator
04-30-2010, 12:51 PM
I find it equally unlikely that a team of ecoterrorists managed to infilitrate enough explosives onto that rig without anyone noticing. It's a big ass structure that as you so accurately pointed out withstood a force like Katrina. Your every day pipe bomb isn't going to do that type of damage. 120 some odd workers on that rig, it seems unlikely that this was sabatoge.

I've read that there was issues of pressure in a new construction, and they think it may have been a massive blowout resulting from that.

Also, Huffington Post is reporting that Halliburton may be responisble. :p

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/30/halliburton-may-be-culpri_n_558481.html

"JIHAD! JIHAD!!!"

PoliCon
04-30-2010, 12:54 PM
They really wouldn't need to secret all that much explosives on the rig - just enough in just the right place is all they would have needed. But I do find the timing to be VERY suspect - and the fact that ALL the fail-safes happened to . . . well . . . fail . . . .

M21
04-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Never smoke the whole bag at once.

Articulate_Ape
04-30-2010, 02:07 PM

The timing seems a little suspect, but as djones says, without evidence I am going to refrain from pondering conspiracy theories.

PoliCon
04-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Never smoke the whole bag at once.

:p I don't smoke or drink or pop pills or snort or even inject. :p

Constitutionally Speaking
04-30-2010, 07:20 PM

I said the same thing to my wife and on another site.

Rockntractor
04-30-2010, 07:27 PM
It's global warmin I tell yah! The oil got hot and just sploded.:eek:

Constitutionally Speaking
04-30-2010, 07:30 PM
The timing seems a little suspect, but as djones says, without evidence I am going to refrain from pondering conspiracy theories.

I agree, but the timing is REALLY suspect.

Nubs
04-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Obama and Big Sis seem to think it is fishy too as they are sending SWAT teams to inspect all rigs for "safety". I, being in the manufacturing sector, am familiar with government safety inspections. They are conducted by OSHA not DHS.

From a recent publication from the Rosie O`donnel School of Strutural Engineering.

This must be sabotage based on the following observations:
1. Steel is NOT melted by fire
2. Fire cannot exists in the presence of water

We see from this event that the failure of the rig is explained by Big Oil due to fire melting steel in water. This is impossible. Therefore is must have been 2 strategically placed, submerged micro nuclear devices.

Rockntractor
04-30-2010, 07:59 PM
This must be sabotage based on the following observations:
1. Steel is NOT melted by fire
2. Fire cannot exists in the presence of water

We see from this event that the failure of the rig is explained by Big Oil due to fire melting steel in water. This is impossible. Therefore is must have been 2 strategically placed, submerged micro nuclear devices.
Or it could be nanobutts!

Nubs
04-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Oh silly me... The pipeline services contractor that just finished work on the line was... Halliburton.

Rockntractor
04-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Seriously I don't think this happened by accident and I don't trust anyone anymore.

patriot45
04-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Seriously I don't think this happened by accident and I don't trust anyone anymore.

Hey! who is that behind you!! :eek:

Rockntractor
04-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Hey! who is that behind you!! :eek:
Duke, but I trust him!:)

FlaGator
04-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when your always afraid
You step out of line
The man come and take you away.

FlaGator
04-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Oil rig had history of mishaps

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100430/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill_the_rig

Rockntractor
04-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when your always afraid
You step out of line
The man come and take you away.
Your a hippy spy!:confused::eek:

FlaGator
04-30-2010, 09:51 PM

No, just old enough to remember.

Rockntractor
04-30-2010, 09:53 PM
No, just old enough to remember.

That was back in my hallucinogenic days.

NJCardFan
04-30-2010, 11:43 PM

Linda Numbers and her anal spelling police will arrive in 3..2...1...

Rockntractor
04-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Linda Numbers and her anal spelling police will arrive in 3..2...1...

She is busy with the heels, whip and cuffs right now!:eek::D

asdf2231
05-01-2010, 01:03 AM
You guys will be happy to know that I am constructing a scale model of the oil rig out of rabbit wire and will set it afire in my bathtub to prove that the government, specifically neo cons who love Israel torched the thing in a controlled detonation using thermite or a micronuke.

At any rate I find it highly suspicious that the Mossad called the three Jewish guys that worked on the rig and told them to "call in sick" that day.

At any rate it's also HIGHLY suspicious that neither George Bush or Karl Rove have conclusively proven that they DIDN'T do it!!!!1111

Rockntractor
05-01-2010, 01:11 AM
You guys will be happy to know that I am constructing a scale model of the oil rig out of rabbit wire and will set it afire in my bathtub to prove that the government, specifically neo cons who love Israel torched the thing in a controlled detonation using thermite or a micronuke.

At any rate I find it highly suspicious that the Mossad called the three Jewish guys that worked on the rig and told them to "call in sick" that day.

At any rate it's also HIGHLY suspicious that neither George Bush or Karl Rove have conclusively proven that they DIDN'T do it!!!!1111

You are so much smarter than everyone else so that settles it.

noonwitch
05-03-2010, 09:00 AM

You should consider a career writing spy novels.

Rockntractor
05-03-2010, 09:01 AM
No conspiracy here, listen to this.

http://www.marklevinshow.com/Article.asp?id=1790422&spid=32364

FlaGator
05-03-2010, 09:06 AM

Use a buck of Sprite instead of salt water. It compensates for the size differential.

FlaGator
05-03-2010, 09:08 AM

I wonder how many people here remember the chicken wire and cinder block world trade center experiment that DU performed to prove that 9/11 was an inside job.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=125x56836#98441