PDA

View Full Version : I Went Into A Whole Foods Today

NJCardFan
05-01-2010, 09:25 PM
And I've never been so uncomfortable in my whole life. I was deep in enemy territory. I wonder how many DUmmies were there. I also saw a "Smart" car. I never laughed so hard. But back to Whole Foods. What a bunch of hypocritical crap. Organic this and that yet simple things like cut up cauliflower were on foam trays covered in plastic. Not very green to me. And the prices. Wow. It's laughable.

Big Guy
05-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Did you happen to notice any Solar Panels or wind turbines? Did they bag things is paper or plastic? :D

NJCardFan
05-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Did you happen to notice any Solar Panels or wind turbines? Did they bag things is paper or plastic? :D

Paper actually but 100% recycled paper. But most of the shoppers brought their own bags you can buy there. The owners of this corporation are as capitalist as Exxon yet these libs are blind to it. Oh, and no solar panels or wind turbines. :D

Oh, I so want to go back wearing a Tea Party t-shirt or something and take a video camera.

Articulate_Ape
05-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Whole Foods is one of my biggest customers, so be careful who you beat with your hippie stick. Also, if you find issue with Whole Foods, then you have a lot of hippies on your side since John Mackey, co-founder and CEO of Whole Foods Market Inc, pissed off your hippie friends by disagreeing this Bama's heathcare plan (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204251404574342170072865070.html).

Maybe you should join the flower child boycott (http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2009/08/boycotting-whole-foods/23348/)?

Please.

PoliCon
05-01-2010, 09:45 PM
I have yet to personally meet anyone who shops there who is not a self righteous prick.

Big Guy
05-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Paper actually but 100% recycled paper. But most of the shoppers brought their own bags you can buy there. The owners of this corporation are as capitalist as Exxon yet these libs are blind to it. Oh, and no solar panels or wind turbines. :D

Oh, I so want to go back wearing a Tea Party t-shirt or something and take a video camera.

Don't forget your gun, or at least some OC. :D

Articulate_Ape
05-01-2010, 09:47 PM
I have yet to personally meet anyone who shops there who is not a self righteous prick.

Have you shopped all the aisles?

Rockntractor
05-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Whole Foods is one of my biggest customers, so be careful who you beat with your hippie stick. Also, if you find issue with Whole Foods, then you have a lot of hippies on your side since John Mackey, co-founder and CEO of Whole Foods Market Inc, pissed off your hippie friends by disagreeing this Bama's heathcare plan (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204251404574342170072865070.html).

Maybe you should join the flower child boycott (http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2009/08/boycotting-whole-foods/23348/)?

Please.

I think his point was he felt uncomfortable around their clientel. I use Australian chewing sticks and I buy them at our equivalent of whole foods, Akin's Natural Food Market. When I go there I'd like to punch half the people!

Tecate
05-01-2010, 09:51 PM

Please.
Love them or hate them, you have to give them credit for their business model. They are a very successful company.

NJCardFan
05-01-2010, 09:53 PM

Please.

I could literally smell the elitism in that store and it took every ounce of energy not to laugh when a woman ordered grass fed beef. The only reason I went there was because it was Saturday and my favorite butcher shop was closed. Also, this store is an hour away. We were in the area because I took my wife to Panera for lunch on her birthday. The chances of us going into that store again are very remote.

Rockntractor
05-01-2010, 09:57 PM
I have never seen a cow yet that didn't eat grass or a carrot that wasn't organic.:rolleyes:

PoliCon
05-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Have you shopped all the aisles?

I have not once passed through the doors. :p

Tecate
05-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I've never set foot inside a Whole Foods Market, but I have been to Central Market (H.E.B.) which is kind of mid-way between Whole Foods and a regular grocery store. You always know the type of people you will see there... Very pale-skinned granola chicks who look like they've never spent 10 minutes in the sun in their entire life.

The Jug
05-01-2010, 10:01 PM
I could literally smell the elitism in that store and it took every ounce of energy not to laugh when a woman ordered grass fed beef.

Earlier today I bought some hamburger meat at Walmart. I'm not sure what they fed the cow. :D

Rockntractor
05-01-2010, 10:01 PM
You always know the type of people you will see there... Very pale-skinned granola chicks who look like they've never spent 10 minutes in the sun in their entire life.

No makeup on with kind of a jaundiced look and they talk funny!

NJCardFan
05-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Earlier today I bought some hamburger meat at Walmart. I'm not sure what they fed the cow. :D

There was a sign hanging in the store talking about how well the animals are treated, blah-se,blah. Yeah. I'm sure they're treated well...right before they're killed. LOL Funny shit to me.

Articulate_Ape
05-01-2010, 10:17 PM
I could literally smell the elitism in that store and it took every ounce of energy not to laugh when a woman ordered grass fed beef. The only reason I went there was because it was Saturday and my favorite butcher shop was closed. Also, this store is an hour away. We were in the area because I took my wife to Panera for lunch on her birthday. The chances of us going into that store again are very remote.

Lies.

Articulate_Ape
05-01-2010, 10:19 PM
I have not once passed through the doors. :p

You need a better paying job. :p

Articulate_Ape
05-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Whole Foods has their niche. If you want to see a GREAT grocery store, find a Wegmans. Best I have seen and I have seen a LOT.

PoliCon
05-01-2010, 10:29 PM
You need a better paying job. :p

Meh. I like Aldis, BigLots, and WalMart.

FlaGator
05-01-2010, 10:38 PM

No bags needed. You have to eat it before you leave.

Articulate_Ape
05-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Meh. I like Aldis, BigLots, and WalMart.

You go girl.

Troll
05-01-2010, 10:42 PM

Ditto. Same usually holds for Mac users.

Articulate_Ape
05-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Who are the elitists again?

Rush Limbaugh uses a Mac. I'm just sayin'.

NJCardFan
05-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Whole Foods has their niche. If you want to see a GREAT grocery store, find a Wegmans. Best I have seen and I have seen a LOT.

Basha's in Arizona is my favorite.

fettpett
05-01-2010, 11:38 PM

Please.

what kind of work do you do?

Tecate
05-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Perhaps he's a nuts and twigs salesman? :D

SaintLouieWoman
05-02-2010, 12:03 AM

Haven't met you personally but don't consider myself a self righteous prick. I happen to like many of their foods. I love going there at lunchtime and grazing on the free samples. :D

I just watch what I buy, don't buy the overly expensive stuff. It's a nice store, but I've shopped at the suburban store, not there's closer to the city. Now that's where you find all the old flower children/ex-hippies.

PoliCon
05-02-2010, 12:17 AM
You go girl.

What it's girly to do the food shopping? :rolleyes: Would I shock you that I do most of the cooking as well?

PoliCon
05-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Haven't met you personally but don't consider myself a self righteous prick. I happen to like many of their foods. I love going there at lunchtime and grazing on the free samples. :D

I just watch what I buy, don't buy the overly expensive stuff. It's a nice store, but I've shopped at the suburban store, not there's closer to the city. Now that's where you find all the old flower children/ex-hippies.

Like I said - met personally. ;)

Well we only have one here locally and it's a hotbed of hippies and other elitists. The other store the like here locally is Trader Joes. Now that store I was in and I laughed the whole time at how ridiculous it is.

Space Gravy
05-02-2010, 12:38 AM
The Fresh Market chain also has excellent food.

http://www.thefreshmarket.com/

RobJohnson
05-02-2010, 10:08 AM
I have not been to a Whole Foods but have shopped at a Trader Joe's and found alot of great stuff.

The produce was fresh and the prices were great.

Plus alot of stuff that you won't find in other stores.

There was even a nice gentleman out on the floor helping customers, I was pretty impressed.

Articulate_Ape
05-02-2010, 03:54 PM

I broker produce.

Articulate_Ape
05-02-2010, 03:56 PM
What it's girly to do the food shopping? :rolleyes: Would I shock you that I do most of the cooking as well?

Me too, on both counts. Except I can reach the top shelf of the refrigerator without a step-stool. :D

BadCat
05-02-2010, 04:04 PM
The Fresh Market chain also has excellent food.

http://www.thefreshmarket.com/

Yeah, I was at one this morning.

I wore my Glock t-shirt. No one said a word.

Wei Wu Wei
05-02-2010, 05:02 PM
And I've never been so uncomfortable in my whole life. I was deep in enemy territory. I wonder how many DUmmies were there. I also saw a "Smart" car. I never laughed so hard. But back to Whole Foods. What a bunch of hypocritical crap. Organic this and that yet simple things like cut up cauliflower were on foam trays covered in plastic. Not very green to me. And the prices. Wow. It's laughable.

You should embrace opportunities like this more often. I applaud you for putting yourself in a position where you clearly were not comfortable and clearly felt like the odd one out, surrounded by a bunch of neo-hippies and college student liberal arts majors.

They aren't your "enemy", next time strike up a conversation, you might see you have more in common with them than you think.

Wei Wu Wei
05-02-2010, 05:03 PM

Solar panels and wind turbines would be very smart and make economic sense for any home or business trying to cut energy costs. How is that funny?

Wei Wu Wei
05-02-2010, 05:04 PM
The owners of this corporation are as capitalist as Exxon yet these libs are blind to it.

Lol that is true. They sold out a long time ago. Still, many liberals are not anti-capitalist and just like the selection of food and atmosphere.

Also please do that and record it :) Hell I would go with you and hold the camera.

Articulate_Ape
05-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Solar panels and wind turbines would be very smart and make economic sense for any home or business trying to cut energy costs. How is that funny?

For an average home it can make sense. But with current photovoltaic technology its application in most commercial/industrial operations usually has a payback of close to 20 years. One might be able to save energy, but unless it is done out out of pure altruism on the part of the business, it is not economically viable at this stage. It will be at some point, but we ain't there yet.

Wei Wu Wei
05-02-2010, 05:24 PM
For an average home it can make sense. But with current photovoltaic technology its application in most commercial/industrial operations usually has a payback of close to 20 years. One might be able to save energy, but unless it is done out out of pure altruism on the part of the business, it is not economically viable at this stage. It will be at some point, but we ain't there yet.

Yeah yo're probably right, I read some articles about some new solar cells that may revolutionize the process.

I think they need to be looking towards nature, plants have mastered the art of solar energy, if we can get even half of their efficiency we'll be on easy street.

linda22003
05-02-2010, 05:26 PM

That's where we do all our shopping. Whole Foods is more out of the way, and I agree about the self-righteous signs: "Arthur had a lovely life on a farm as a free-range chicken, until you decided to eat him."

Wei Wu Wei
05-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Arthur was delicious

jendf
05-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Like I said - met personally. ;)

Well we only have one here locally and it's a hotbed of hippies and other elitists. The other store the like here locally is Trader Joes. Now that store I was in and I laughed the whole time at how ridiculous it is.

Hey! Trader Joe's is awesome!

PoliCon
05-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Me too, on both counts. Except I can reach the top shelf of the refrigerator without a step-stool. :D

Keep it up and you'll be hitting those high notes too. :p

PoliCon
05-02-2010, 08:24 PM
You should embrace opportunities like this more often. I applaud you for putting yourself in a position where you clearly were not comfortable and clearly felt like the odd one out, surrounded by a bunch of neo-hippies and college student liberal arts majors.

They aren't your "enemy", next time strike up a conversation, you might see you have more in common with them than you think.Put down the crack pipe and back away slowly . . . .:rolleyes:

PoliCon
05-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Yeah yo're probably right, I read some articles about some new solar cells that may revolutionize the process.

Let me guess. . . . all they need is the right federal grant for that breakthrough that is right around the corner. :rolleyes:

PoliCon
05-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Hey! Trader Joe's is awesome!

Sure if you like things over priced and trendy. :rolleyes:

Wei Wu Wei
05-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Put down the crack pipe and back away slowly . . . .:rolleyes:

Trying new things and talking to people with different ideas?

CRAZY TALK! DRUG INDUCED MADNESS!! SCOFF!

You crack me up buddy.

jendf
05-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Sure if you like things over priced and trendy. :rolleyes:

Two buck chuck is neither over priced nor trendy. So there. :p

Plus, they have a terrific fish selection.

You should give it another try.

lacarnut
05-02-2010, 09:37 PM
I think they need to be looking towards nature, plants have mastered the art of solar energy, if we can get even half of their efficiency we'll be on easy street.

If we can get lazy liberal bums like you on the employment rolls, we will be on easy street.

PoliCon
05-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Trying new things and talking to people with different ideas?

CRAZY TALK! DRUG INDUCED MADNESS!! SCOFF!

You crack me up buddy.

Fucktard - we talk WITH people with different ideas. See the trouble is - you guys on the left are not interesting in talking WITH people who have different ideas - you wanna talk TO - or more accurately - AT us. That's all you've done since you've been here is talk AT people. :rolleyes: You spout off bullshit - you never back up your claims - we're just supposed to accept it as gospel truth because a fucktard leftist said it I guess? I know that works with your side - but we tend to want things backed up.

BUT - the reason why I told you to put down the crackpipe is in your druge addled brain you seem to think you know what motivates us and what we're willing to do and not do. :rolleyes: Stupid fucktard. Next time ask rather than making stupid fucking assumptions.

PoliCon
05-02-2010, 09:57 PM

Plus, they have a terrific fish selection.

You should give it another try.

Hun - clearly you need to move if you think Trader Joes has a good fish selection. :rolleyes: But I guess not every city has a Wholey's (http://www.wholey.com/) or a Benkovitz (http://www.benkovitzseafood.com/). :p

linda22003
05-03-2010, 08:11 AM

OR potable. :eek:

linda22003
05-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Hun - clearly you need to move if you think Trader Joes has a good fish selection. :rolleyes: But I guess not every city has a Wholey's (http://www.wholey.com/) or a Benkovitz (http://www.benkovitzseafood.com/). :p

LOVE them Wholey's fish sammiches! When we're in the Strip it's hard to choose between those and a Primanti!

noonwitch
05-03-2010, 08:54 AM
The nearest Whole Foods store to my house is 10-15 miles away, in Troy. It used to be a store called The Merchant Of Vino. They really haven't changed much since becoming Whole Foods. I can't afford to shop there for regular grocery shopping, but if I need a particular type of sauce or spice for a recipe, it's one of the places I'll stop if I'm in that area. They have a good wine selection.

I mostly shop at Meijer. I'm a Grand Rapids girl at heart. Also, it's unionized, because I'm also a Detroit girl at heart.

Gingersnap
05-03-2010, 10:41 AM
I love Whole Foods although I seldom shop there since it's out of the way and I can get the same kind of stuff at Sunflower.

Some of the products sold at these stores are amusing but I feel exactly the same way about products like Hamburger Helper and Chocolate Cheerios sold at conventional stores - they also amuse me. I like the produce at hippy stores and I like the bulk grains, nuts, seeds, etc. The cheeses and store-produced sausages are also excellent.

And yes - I do buy the organic sandalwood body lotion and I do use my eco-friendly canvas totes to haul my hippy purchases out to the car. :p

I also grow organic veggies at home and wear Birkenstock sandals when appropriate. None of this seems to revoke my NRA card or my membership in Concerned Women for America. ;)

noonwitch
05-03-2010, 01:19 PM
I also grow organic veggies at home and wear Birkenstock sandals when appropriate. None of this seems to revoke my NRA card or my membership in Concerned Women for America. ;)

That's just because no one has told the NRA or CWA about your shopping habits yet!

lacarnut
05-03-2010, 02:31 PM
I have never been in a W.F. store. Not put off by its pricey products. The one located here is in a strip mall; I avoid those places like the plague plus it is at one of the busiest intersection in town. Early one Sunday morning, I might give it a try.

Gingersnap
05-03-2010, 02:32 PM
That's just because no one has told the NRA or CWA about your shopping habits yet!

I doubt they care much if I buy I grass-fed beef or get my wild rice in bulk. :D

Molon Labe
05-03-2010, 03:00 PM
I doubt Whole foods has much in common with Libtards these days. The CEO wrote a whole article last year against the bailouts and Obama stimulus bill. Most libs decided to boycott the place. When an owner speaks out like that, then that's my kind of business.

M21
05-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Whole Foods is great. We do some of our shopping there and Walmart and we take our own bags to each one. Just makes sense. The bags hold more, don't break, and pay for themselves.

Take free-range chicken for example. My SIL is allergic to penicillin and twice has gone into anaphylactic shock from eating friend chicken my daughter cooked. They took him to the hospital and the Doc figured it out. Doc said they see it in PTs because commercial chicken is LOADED with antibiotics.

I'm concerned with what's in the milk and meat my grand kids are eating and I'd prefer that they didn't piss detectable levels of pesticides from the produce they eat.

I believe you are what you eat..... and I'm organic.

KhrushchevsShoe
05-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Most flower children and hippies cant afford to shop at Whole Foods. The ones you did see are imposters born years after the movement and idolize the counter-cultureness of the 60's. Its up to you to decide which one is worse.

FlaGator
05-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Most flower children and hippies cant afford to shop at Whole Foods. The ones you did see are imposters born years after the movement and idolize the counter-cultureness of the 60's. Its up to you to decide which one is worse.

The ones who refuse to bath regularly.

PoliCon
05-03-2010, 09:01 PM
LOVE them Wholey's fish sammiches! When we're in the Strip it's hard to choose between those and a Primanti!

The ones at Benkies are better. :p

PoliCon
05-03-2010, 09:02 PM

You gonna call them or should I? ;)

PoliCon
05-03-2010, 09:19 PM
I'd prefer that they didn't piss detectable levels of pesticides from the produce they eat.

two quick things - wash your produce and you won't piss pesticides - and 'organic' produce is dangerous to kids because of e coli.

M21
05-03-2010, 11:14 PM
two quick things - wash your produce and you won't piss pesticides - and 'organic' produce is dangerous to kids because of e coli.

Washing only reduces the pesticides. Many pesticides are oil based and don't easy wash off at all. Others are absorbed by the vegetable or fruit into the skin or flesh and can be reduced by peeling, but then you lose the nutritional value. http://www.seattlepi.com/local/349263_pesticide30.html

Best as we can we'll avoid it all together.

PoliCon
05-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Washing only reduces the pesticides. Many pesticides are oil based and don't easy wash off at all. Others are absorbed by the vegetable or fruit into the skin or flesh and can be reduced by peeling, but then you lose the nutritional value. http://www.seattlepi.com/local/349263_pesticide30.html

That's fine. But remember while you are avoiding pesticides, you're courting bacteria and other fatal diseases.

M21
05-04-2010, 12:10 AM
From today's NYT. Roundup resistant Super Weeds. Thanks Monsanto. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/04/business/energy-environment/04weed.html?src=busln

PoliCon
05-04-2010, 12:14 AM
From today's NYT. Roundup resistant Super Weeds. Thanks Monsanto. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/04/business/energy-environment/04weed.html?src=busln

Selective breeding. They don't necessarily need a stronger weed killer - just one that works differently than roundup.

M21
05-04-2010, 12:18 AM
Selective breeding. They don't necessarily need a stronger weed killer - just one that works differently than roundup.It seems that Monsanto has invented the self licking ice cream cone.

noonwitch
05-04-2010, 09:14 AM

I have a hippie friend who grows her own organic vegetables and herbs in her backyard. She swears by using garlic, mixed in water, and sprayed on the plants as a pesticide. I'm not into gardening, I buy my produce at the store, so I don't know how well it really works.

I do know this-when I lived in one apartment building in college, we would get cockroaches in our cupboards occasionally. I never got them in mine, because I always had at least one bunch of garlic in my cupboard and I would peel a clove and leave it on the shelf. Everything that wasn't in a jar or tupperware smelled like garlic, but there were no roaches in my food.

Gingersnap
05-04-2010, 09:46 AM
I have a hippie friend who grows her own organic vegetables and herbs in her backyard. She swears by using garlic, mixed in water, and sprayed on the plants as a pesticide. I'm not into gardening, I buy my produce at the store, so I don't know how well it really works.

Not that well although you do get some pretty smelly veggies for a couple of days. Sadly.