PDA

View Full Version : Police shoot dogs in front of children during a raid, confiscated 1 gram of marijuana

Wei Wu Wei
05-07-2010, 03:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbwSwvUaRqc

There's been talk all over the internet about this.

Apparently there were 2 dogs (rumors have it that one was in a cage, but I haven't seen any verification for this), one pit bull and one corgi.

SWAT busted down the door of this house, shot and killed the pit bull that was barking, and also shot a corgi, which did not die but rather flopped around with a bullet wound all while wife and children were cowering in the corner.

The reason for this raid: Marijuana possession. The police searched and confiscated one marijuana pipe and one gram of marijuana.

The man was charged with paraphernalia, marijuana possession, and 2nd degree child endangerment because the marijuana was in the same house as the children (consider how many children live in homes with cigarettes, beer, wine, or liquor).

Consider the effect this will have on this man, consider the trauma this will cause to the children, and consider the amount of money spent to obtain a warrant and conduct this raid. All for one gram of weed.

Wei Wu Wei
05-07-2010, 03:06 AM
Break down the door of a family home at night, rush in with a team of people in SWAT gear, open fire right in front of a 7 year old, kill the family dogs, and charge the man with "2nd degree child endangerment", which is classified as actions which may cause emotional or mental harm to a child.

Wei Wu Wei
05-07-2010, 03:07 AM
Meanwhile, 14 states have already legalized medicinal marijuana.

Wei Wu Wei
05-07-2010, 03:09 AM
There's no other way to put this, that's fucked up.

Sonnabend
05-07-2010, 05:07 AM
There's been talk all over the internet about this.Sure there has been.

Why was there a raid? Could it be because the guy has PRIORS and in fact the raid was in regards to OTHER felonies?

You post this bullshit youtube video and ignore:

The dogs were shot because in past experience dogs in major league drug houses, which this one was suspected to be, train their dogs to attack cops

Dead dog or injured cop? Shoot the dog.

A Pit bull? Is a dangerous animal with a massive history of maimings and deaths to its name. Cop here recently shot one that killed a toddler out in the street.

Guess what Wee Wee you fucked up...AGAIN (http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2010/may/06/chief-details-swat-incident/)

The chief, who is personally conducting the internal investigation, walked reporters through his understanding of the incident. Three officers shot at the pit bull, and the first missed completely, which is when the corgi is believed to have been shot in the paw, he said. The pit bull acted aggressively toward a SWAT member again as they pushed into the home, which resulted in the animal being shot, he said. After being shot, it moved to attack a SWAT member, which is when the dog was killed. and this

Investigators believed Whitworth was in possession of a large amount of marijuana and was considered a distributor.
There's no other way to put this, that's fucked up. Yes there is. Don't do illegal drugs. Don't smoke them, don't possess them, don't associate with those who do.

Simple.

consider how many children live in homes with cigarettes, beer, wine, or liquor)....which are all legal.

Marijuana is not.

Meanwhile, 14 states have already legalized medicinal marijuana.

Then maybe he should have moved to one of those states.

Consider the effect this will have on this man, consider the trauma this will cause to the children, and consider the amount of money spent to obtain a warrant and conduct this raid

Cry me a fucking river.

Consider instead the damage and trauma to a family whose cop father and husband is severely injured by one of those thuggish animals.

Constitutionally Speaking
05-07-2010, 05:51 AM
Let's give the government MORE power!!!!!!!! Right Wei!????

noonwitch
05-07-2010, 08:34 AM
I think it's a total waste of taxpayer's money to prosecute this guy, especially considering how small the amount of marijuana involved was.

I'm not going to be so judgmental about the cops shooting the dogs, when they shouldn't have been raiding the house to begin with. Shooting dogs goes with the territory for police-they have to protect themselves. I wonder how good of a case the cops/prosecutor made to get a warrant to begin with.

RobJohnson
05-07-2010, 10:05 AM
I think it's a total waste of taxpayer's money to prosecute this guy, especially considering how small the amount of marijuana involved was.

I'm not going to be so judgmental about the cops shooting the dogs, when they shouldn't have been raiding the house to begin with. Shooting dogs goes with the territory for police-they have to protect themselves. I wonder how good of a case the cops/prosecutor made to get a warrant to begin with.

I agree.

The police do make mistakes once in a while or the guy might of knew this was about to happen and moved his stash. We don't know the whole story.

I know of a raid that cost a police dept about $8000 in overtime pay to only find a "roach" in a girls purse that did not even live in the house! The lady was a mother figure to alot of kids in the neighborhood and had alot of traffic in and out of her house. The neighbors & a church in the area just asssumed she was a drug dealer and complained to the cops...

noonwitch
05-07-2010, 10:10 AM
I agree.

The police do make mistakes once in a while or the guy might of knew this was about to happen and moved his stash. We don't know the whole story.

I know of a raid that cost a police dept about $8000 in overtime pay to only find a "roach" in a girls purse that did not even live in the house! The lady was a mother figure to alot of kids in the neighborhood and had alot of traffic in and out of her house. The neighbors & a church in the area just asssumed she was a drug dealer and complained to the cops...

The cops raided her house based only on reports from neighbors?

I guess every state has different laws about such things. I just remember when I would call the Detroit Police about the crack house across the street, they told me that they couldn't raid the house until they had successfully made an undercover buy. Or maybe that's what the judges here require to issue a warrant.

Sonnabend
05-07-2010, 10:20 AM
I wonder how good of a case the cops/prosecutor made to get a warrant to begin with.

Ask the judge that issued it. Wee Wee has a large problem with authority, and what makes me laugh is that he lives in TEXAS and is big on "gun control".

I imagine he is screaming at the authoritarian neofascist running dog fellow traveler cops..yet when the bottom line is that guns in the hands of law abiding citizens makes for LESS crime, he is strangely silent.

I come from a family of cops, and I have seen firsthand the mayhem one of those animals can cause. Glad they shot it, hope it's dead.

And as I said, if this fool hadn't been using illegal drugs in his home to start with, hadnt obviously been seen in the presence of dealers, hadnt obviously associated with druggies, then there would have been no raid.

Marijuana is illegal. Use it and get arrested, tough shit. I also note that the investigation pointed to him being a distributor...gee, I wonder WHY that might have been? :rolleyes:

The warrant was issued on suspicion of him being a dealer, which means he had been under surveillance for some time. I am also curious if anyone can tell if this guy had a record? Previous drug offences?

What did this guy do to attract this kind of attention, I wonder.

Wee Wee wants drugs legalised, and it wouldnt surprise me if this wish didnt include ice, meth, amphetamines, cocaine and other "fun" phamaceuticals. :rolleyes:

I also wonder what he would have said had a cop had his or her arm torn off by one of those animals. Celebrate, probably.

FlaGator
05-07-2010, 10:38 AM
The cops raided her house based only on reports from neighbors?

I guess every state has different laws about such things. I just remember when I would call the Detroit Police about the crack house across the street, they told me that they couldn't raid the house until they had successfully made an undercover buy. Or maybe that's what the judges here require to issue a warrant.

Merely on neigbhors complaints wouldn't have even gotten a warrant in Florida. It would have given the police cause to watch the house for a while and then raid if they busted a few people leaving the house who claimed to have purchased drugs there. The cops here us to get sued on a regular basis for doing stuff like this that didn't pan out. Now they take better precautions before scheduling something this intrusive.

PoliCon
05-07-2010, 10:40 AM

You see a video - the video does not once mention WHY they were there or WHY they were give a warrant now does it? Like everything Wee Wee posts - lots of claims with ZERO evidence.

Rebel Yell
05-07-2010, 11:13 AM
If the son of a bitches shot my dog, they'd have a reason to arrest me. I've told several deputies here that if my dog ever bites somebody breaking into my house or doing something they're not suppose to on my property and they come to take my dog, I'll shoot their asses.

You can get away with alot, but don't fuck with my dogs.

RobJohnson
05-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Merely on neigbhors complaints wouldn't have even gotten a warrant in Florida. It would have given the police cause to watch the house for a while and then raid if they busted a few people leaving the house who claimed to have purchased drugs there. The cops here us to get sued on a regular basis for doing stuff like this that didn't pan out. Now they take better precautions before scheduling something this intrusive.

I'm sure they might be more careful now, but this was after what they called a long investigation.They thought an adult was selling drugs to teens but the worst thing the lady was doing was cooking for them.

FlaGator
05-07-2010, 11:26 AM
More of the story

COLUMBIA — When Columbia Police SWAT officers kicked in Jonathan Whitworth's door, they didn't find what they were looking for but drew a worldwide audience.
Acting on an 8-day-old warrant on Feb. 11, at least eight officers raided Whitworth's home at 1501 Kinloch Court in southwest Columbia on the suspicion that he was dealing a significant amount of marijuana. But police only found a misdemeanor amount of marijuana. The tip on Whitworth came from an informant who the police chief said apparently wasn't consulted before the raid was carried out.

Another problem: During the raid, officers fatally shot Whitworth's pit bull and wounded a Welsh corgi before arresting Whitworth, whose wife and 7-year-old were also home.

Now, as the department nears the end of its internal investigation of the matter, it is facing widening ripples of consequences of a story that has gone (http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2010/05/scenes-from-the-drug-war.html) viral (http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/crime-rates-vs-drug-raids-050610?src=rss). A video of the raid had received almost 295,000 views on YouTube as of 8 p.m. Thursday as Whitworth's attorney said his client was contemplating legal action against the department.

"We're reviewing everything right now, and we're keeping every possibility open," Jeff Hilbrenner said. He said Whitworth had not yet filed a formal complaint with the Police Department, and Whitworth's family had been put in an awkward position.

"They know that it’s come to the attention of people all over America," Hilbrenner said. "They’ve been contacted by people they don’t know offering support from all over the country. They don’t want that to be how they’re known. They would prefer to go on living their life as a young couple with a young son."

The attention has been much grimmer for the Police Department. On Thursday afternoon, Chief Ken Burton held a news conference with Mayor Bob McDavid at Columbia City Hall to combat what he repeatedly called the Internet's mixing of "fact with fiction."

"We're getting death threats from literally all over the world," Burton said, declining to release the names of the officers involved.

Burton sought to put an end to rumors that the pit bull was in a cage when the officers shot it. He also said the corgi had been shot in the paw by accident because it was next to the pit bull when the larger dog attacked the officers coming in the front door. The pit bull ran away and again threatened officers, who shot it, Burton said.
In the video, "you hear that dog (the corgi) screaming, and that isn't pleasant to listen to," Burton said.

As for Whitworth — who pleaded guilty on April 20 to a misdemeanor charge of unlawful use of drug paraphernalia and was fined $300 — Burton said a federal drug conviction and a history of combative arrests prompted the use of heavy police force. Burton regretted the department waited so long to execute the warrant.

"I don’t think we should have run it eight days later," Burton said. "We should have run it that day. We simply didn’t do it. So we own that, and we’re very sorry it turned out the way it did. None of those officers wanted to hurt that dog — or any dog, as a matter of fact — but it was an unfortunate situation.”

As McDavid stood next to him, Burton said he had changed department policy to conduct raids immediately after a search warrant is obtained. Burton said the department moved slowly in Whitworth's case because the SWAT team is made up of part-time members who hold other jobs within the department.

The whole story is here (http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2010/05/06/update-swat-raid-prompts-police-review-policies/)

FlaGator
05-07-2010, 11:31 AM
If the son of a bitches shot my dog, they'd have a reason to arrest me. I've told several deputies here that if my dog ever bites somebody breaking into my house or doing something they're not suppose to on my property and they come to take my dog, I'll shoot their asses.

I do love my dogs.

NJCardFan
05-07-2010, 11:33 AM
My housing unit in the prison I work is a drug treatment unit. Every single one of them who has a dog, that dog is a pitbull. There is a reason for this. The dog, when trained to do so, is an extremely dangerous weapon. Send the dog after the cops and anyone who has been bit by even a chihuahua knows that when a dog means business, it's bite hurts like hell. Imagine a dog who bites like a vice and holds on just as tight. And the bigger aspect is that, as was said, until the law changes, weed is against the law. It is against the low to possess it, buy it, sell it, and grow it. Do this for a living and suffer the consequences. And perhaps wee wee doesn't see a problem with dealing drugs in front of children.

Molon Labe
05-07-2010, 12:01 PM

My favorite comment from the video said something like:

So the boy and mother are traumitized for life, the dog died an agonizing death, and the guy has a criminal record......Hey, at least no one got high.

The dog was a Welsh Corgi by the way.....real scary dog.

PoliCon
05-07-2010, 12:03 PM
My housing unit in the prison I work is a drug treatment unit. Every single one of them who has a dog, that dog is a pitbull. There is a reason for this. The dog, when trained to do so, is an extremely dangerous weapon. Send the dog after the cops and anyone who has been bit by even a chihuahua knows that when a dog means business, it's bite hurts like hell. Imagine a dog who bites like a vice and holds on just as tight. And the bigger aspect is that, as was said, until the law changes, weed is against the law. It is against the low to possess it, buy it, sell it, and grow it. Do this for a living and suffer the consequences. And perhaps wee wee doesn't see a problem with dealing drugs in front of children.

How dare you try and confuse a leftists chosen narrative with trivial FACTS! :mad:

PoliCon
05-07-2010, 12:04 PM

You can get away with alot, but don't fuck with my dogs.A criminal breaking into your house is one thing. Cops coming in doing their job is another.

Rebel Yell
05-07-2010, 12:11 PM
A criminal breaking into your house is one thing. Cops coming in doing their job is another.

When someone kicks in your door, the dogs is doing his job.

FlaGator
05-07-2010, 12:13 PM
A criminal breaking into your house is one thing. Cops coming in doing their job is another.

How does the dog know the difference?

asdf2231
05-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Hey if Mommy and Daddy wreren't smoking dope the kiddies would still have their pets. Sucks to be them.

Sucks to be you also Wei. :)

RobJohnson
05-07-2010, 03:55 PM

True.

Wei Wu Wei
05-07-2010, 05:57 PM
I love the "IT'S THE LAW FOLLOW IT, ANY PUNISHMENT IS JUSTIFIED BECAUSE IT'S THE LAW"

I guess we shoudln't be hearing any more people complaining about the Health Care Bill or the new Mandate, because IT IS THE LAW.

Wei Wu Wei
05-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Using money and resources, violence and weapons, and imposing sentances on people for MARIJUANA is ridiculous.

Not all drugs should be legal, the harms of the drug should be weight against the harms of the criminalization of the drug (both prohibition and drugs cause problems, the issue is how much of a problem these cause relative to each other)

In the case of marijuana, it's a no brainer. Methamphetamine, Heroin, Crack, these are different stories.

You kick down the front door of a house, of course the dog is going to act up and bark, hell it's a dog. I understand sometimes when a dog is going attack an officer this is necessary, but still...

I love dogs, people may argue that the pit bull was "acting aggressive", but what about the Corgi?

Oh wow I can just imagine a vicious deadly corgi harming a team of SWAT officers in full gear. :rolleyes:

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2010/may/03/drug-raid-inquiry-is-ongoing/

SWAT team members encountered a pit bull upon entry, held back and then fatally shot the dog, police say. Officers said the dog was acting in an uncontrollably aggressive manner. A video of the raid shows that a shot was fired upon entry, but the pit bull was not wounded until later.

What the fuck was this first shot then for? You bust open a home with children in it and start opening fire?

Poor intelligence, poor information, poor judgment, and no doubt a lot of money was spent to conduct this raid, and for what? So a guy wouldn't smoke a joint and watch Family Guy?

For the love of God...

Wei Wu Wei
05-07-2010, 06:11 PM

Many things are against the law. Jaywalking is against the law. Loitering is against the law. Not carrying your prescription medication in it's proper bottle from the pharmacy is against the law.

The question is: Does the punishment fit the crime? Does the enforcement actions fit the crime?

Using a can of Air Freshener to de-stink a shirt that you don't have time to wash is technically against the law (using such a product in a way not according to the usage on the label), should we begin conducting raids and shooting animals for that?

Should states be spending millions of dollars to enforce that?

This is straight up stupidity.

Getting drunk in your home is perfectly legal but an alcoholic parent who is wasted on liquor every night is BY FAR a greater danger to a child than a parent who smokes a joint after work. Anyone who's been exposed to these drugs knows this is obvious.

Wei Wu Wei
05-07-2010, 06:12 PM
I saw a video posted the other day of someone demonstrating Obama's fiscal policies and in that video they cut a penny into 4 pieces. That is against the law. Should we send SWAT over to his house?

Jesus watch the video and listen to the number of shots that are fired. These are trained professionals, experts with firearms, how many shots does it take to down 1 dog?

PoliCon
05-07-2010, 06:47 PM
When someone kicks in your door, the dogs is doing his job.

Yup. And when he ends up dead for trying to bite a cop - tough titties.

PoliCon
05-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Hey if Mommy and Daddy wreren't smoking dope the kiddies would still have their pets. Sucks to be them.

Sucks to be you also Wei. :)

I was pretty much thinking the same thing. If you don't engage in criminal activities the chances of a cop breaking down your door are slim to none.

PoliCon
05-07-2010, 06:49 PM
I love the "IT'S THE LAW FOLLOW IT, ANY PUNISHMENT IS JUSTIFIED BECAUSE IT'S THE LAW"

I guess we shoudln't be hearing any more people complaining about the Health Care Bill or the new Mandate, because IT IS THE LAW.

Why are you still breathing?

PoliCon
05-07-2010, 06:51 PM
I like how wee wee compares one off instances to habitual disreguard for the law. :rolleyes: I also like how wee wee is still assuming that it's the cops in the wrong here without even half the facts of the story - just some grainy video. For all we know - this was staged.

asdf2231
05-07-2010, 06:52 PM
I saw a video posted the other day of someone demonstrating Obama's fiscal policies and in that video they cut a penny into 4 pieces. That is against the law. Should we send SWAT over to his house?

Jesus watch the video and listen to the number of shots that are fired. These are trained professionals, experts with firearms, how many shots does it take to down 1 dog?

Lets put you in 40 pounds of equipment give you a shot of adrenalin, stick you in narrow quarters have people making a shitload of noise around you and then turn a dog loose on you and see how many shots it takes YOU to bring it down.

PoliCon
05-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Jesus watch the video and listen to the number of shots that are fired. These are trained professionals, experts with firearms, how many shots does it take to down 1 dog? Someone has clearly never tried to shoot an erratically moving target.

asdf2231
05-07-2010, 06:56 PM
I was pretty much thinking the same thing. If you don't engage in criminal activities the chances of a cop breaking down your door are slim to none.

Just another senseless act of violence perpetrated by a liberal drug culture. Breaks the heart donnit?

Dick-head just wants to vent his spleen and get his ya-ya's off proving how much smarter than conservatives he is. Which probably means something happened at work or school or wherever that reminded him what an ineffectual bitch he is in RL. :D

asdf2231
05-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Someone has clearly never tried to shoot an erratically moving target.

He's probably one of those clueless halfwits who get pissy that the police don't shoot guns out of peoples hands like they do in the movies he watches to gather his technical database on masculine behaivior.

malloc
05-07-2010, 07:17 PM

Slim yes, but far from impossible. No knock warrants gone awry are somewhat common in this country. From executing no knock warrants on the testimony of crack head eyewitnesses who may have gotten some details wrong, to getting the wrong address on a warrant, these problems do happen.

The common scenario goes something like this: A homeowner is asleep in bed at 02:00 in the morning. The police arrive and yell, "Police! Search warrant!" and break down the door. The homeowner being asleep heard only the door break down, so he wakes with a start and rushes down the stairs or whatever with a flashlight and a shotgun. At this point, one or two things happen. An officer gets shot followed by the homeowner, or the homeowner gets shot before he has a chance to fire. Either way, a simple clerical mistake leads to an innocent man, and possibly an officer dying. However, I can't think of anything I'd do differently. If someone is breaking into my home I have a duty to defend my family, and the if I take the time and exposure to figure out if it is some sort of mistaken police raid, I may fail that duty.

The frequency of these type of occurrences is alarming.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/1129/p03s03-ussc.html
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=490039#

I could Google some more and come up with hundreds of examples.

Here are some other opinions on the subject:

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=6344
http://www.leap.cc/cms/index.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=visit&lid=167

To put no knock warrants into perspective, the frequency of no knock warrants being served in error is low compared to total no knock warrants served. However, when mistakes are made, no knock warrants most likely end in injury or fatalities, and that's a big issue.

This is one of the reasons I'm against prohibition. I'm not the only conservative in the world to be against the war on drugs either: http://old.nationalreview.com/12feb96/drug.html

However, if we want to continue this failed War on Drugs, we should at least reform the no knock portions and require a minimum amount of surveillance, and a standard higher than probable cause. The outcome will only save the lives of innocents and police officers. The drug dealers will continue to deal unaware that they are being watched. If a few slip through the cracks, then fine, let them slip through. I'd rather let 20 drug dealers get away with it for now, than have one homeowner or officer shot over a clerical error.

Not to mention, nearly half of my old platoon are now police officers in different PDs and SOs in my area, and all of them think this drug war is a big waste of their time. Their opinion may not mean much to you guys, but as my friends, their opinion definitely affects mine.

Sonnabend
05-07-2010, 07:42 PM
What do we have here.....

As for Whitworth — who pleaded guilty on April 20 to a misdemeanor charge of unlawful use of drug paraphernalia and was fined $300 — Burton said a federal drug conviction and a history of combative arrests prompted the use of heavy police force. Burton regretted the department waited so long to execute the warrant.Well well....looks like I was right.

AmPat
05-09-2010, 03:05 PM

How is breaking a law the same as opposition to an entitlement program? Is opposition against the law now?:rolleyes: