PDA

View Full Version : DUmmie overreacts? Say it ain't so...

Beefeater
05-08-2010, 02:53 PM
http://www.davegranlund.com/cartoons/wp-content/uploads/color-times-vendors-web.jpg

If this post isn't quintessential DUmmie I don't know what is.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8296032

wndycty (1000+ posts) Sat May-08-10 12:40 PM
Original message
Am I overreacting to this political cartoon. . .
. . .on the one hand it makes a good point, but for some reason I'm offended that the two vendors shown in the cartoon as being "America's first line of defense" are two white guys when it was two men of color who alerted police.

Am I being too sensitive? Am I overreacting?

Am I being too sensitive? Am I overreacting?

Of course you are, you're a MORON DUmmie!

ralph wiggum
05-08-2010, 07:23 PM
DUmmies over-reacting? No way! :rolleyes:

JB
05-08-2010, 07:38 PM
frustrated_lefty (1000+ posts) Sat May-08-10 01:51 PM
Response to Original message
22. If people of color were depicted
it would have been racist stereotyping, implying that hot dog stands are only run by minorities.Exactly. And that's the rub. It's a no win with DUmmies.

Soon they'll spot a cartoon about a cab driver wearing a turban and get their panties in a twist over stereotyping, racism and being "offended".

Maybe cartoonists should just draw everybody as stick men. Although, come to think of it, stickmen are usually black. Nevermind.

Carol
05-08-2010, 10:58 PM
I don't know. That guy on the left looks "brown" (as the racist liberals like to say) to me. I suppose pointing that out makes me racist though I wouldn't have actively registered the color of their skin if the DUmmie hadn't pointed it out.

Or now is it only "black" people who are considered a minority by them in this instance?

DU is all about race. It's the end all and be all for them. They talk about wanting a color blind society, but they are the furthest from being color blind than anyone I know.

Rockntractor
05-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Wouldn't it be racist to show black people as only being capable of operating hot dog and ice cream carts?:confused:

Carol
05-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Oregone Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sat May-08-10 12:44 PM
Response to Reply #4
6. Exactly, and everyone in the cars look black

We do not need to issue a fatwa on this cartoonist. This time at least
dems_rightnow Donating Member (941 posts) Sat May-08-10 12:46 PM
9. Yes

It's a cartoon. They guy may even thought of this and avoided darker skin tones to avoid "Portrayed as nothing but street vendors!"LOL. The consensus seems to be that they can go either way on it so it's nothing to be offended about.

So they have to find something to be offended about.

HughMoran Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sat May-08-10 12:46 PM
10. Doesn't it imply that the government is relying on street vendors for intelligence?

I find that to be a right-wing swipe at the administration.
Chemisse DU Moderator Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sat May-08-10 01:14 PM
Response to Reply #10
17. That seems to be the whole point of the cartoon

It is a right-wing swipe.

But the observation about the skin colors of the street vendors is an interesting one.

On the one hand, you could argue that it is almost racist for the default guy to be white - as in white is typical, white is 'normal', particularly when the actual street vendor was of color.

On the other hand you can argue that it would be racist to portray them as being a color other than white in the cartoon because - as Dems pointed out above - darker skinned people are then being "Portrayed as nothing but street vendors!"

It's a good thing to talk about.