PDA

View Full Version : What is your solution to stopping the oil gusher?

SarasotaRepub
05-08-2010, 06:43 PM
O.M.G. :eek: If this thread isn't an example of infantile thinking... (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8297500)

kentuck http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/donor.gif (1000+ posts) Sat May-08-10 06:26 PM
Original message What is your solution to stopping the oil gusher?

In my opinion, rather than putting a 90-ton cylinder over the gusher, they should simply drop a 100-ton of huge boulders on the gusher. Maybe they will have to put a 1000-tons of boulders over the gusher?

However, I do not think there is a way to save the oil. They should try to cover it up and stop the gusher, in my opinion. Start hauling 100-tons of boulder out to the gusher and dump them on the ocean floor. That is my idea. Any others?

Incredible...and they wonder why we make fun of them.

Rockntractor
05-08-2010, 06:51 PM
We should tell the liberals that they need to offer themselves to be used as plugs to stop the flow and then stuff them into the well head until the flow stops or you run out of liberals.

JB
05-08-2010, 07:06 PM
tularetom (1000+ posts) Sat May-08-10 06:35 PM
Response to Original message
18. Nuke it
Isn't that the American solution to any problem?Yes. Yes it is. We've dropped so many in the last 60+ years that I have lost count. That last I heard we dropped eleventybillion nukes around the world. Ass.
Sebastian Doyle (1000+ posts) Sat May-08-10 06:35 PM

16. Throw the oil executives down the hole, one by one, until the leak stops.

Then move on to Sarah Palin and every other Repuke politician that shilled for "Drill Baby Drill" (including Landrieu, Salazar, and all other DLC'ers who are guilty)Good idea because everyone knows it fairies and pixie dust that produces the energy for you to run your VW Bus.

Speedy
05-08-2010, 07:07 PM
My degree is in geology and I put it to good use in the oil fields of for years before enlisting. I consulted on many a drill site and was on hand when we had blowouts and had to call in Boots and Coots or Red Adair in. I have no idea how how to tackle the mess in the Gulf other than drilling another hole next to it and capping it with cement but that would take months. I doubt that the DUmmies could come up with anything better.

FlaGator
05-08-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm trying to construct a few models of the solution ideas that I have, but I'm having trouble finding quality chicken wire. Seems some DUers have purchased it all.

SarasotaRepub
05-08-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm trying to construct a few models of the solution ideas that I have, but I'm having trouble finding quality chicken wire. Seems some DUers have purchased it all.

There are a lot of kids over there. kentuck is one. :D

BSR
05-08-2010, 11:31 PM
My degree is in geology and I put it to good use in the oil fields of for years before enlisting. I consulted on many a drill site and was on hand when we had blowouts and had to call in Boots and Coots or Red Adair in. I have no idea how how to tackle the mess in the Gulf other than drilling another hole next to it and capping it with cement but that would take months. I doubt that the DUmmies could come up with anything better.

Why am I not surprised you have expertise in this subject as well (including a degree)

Where is the ultimate facepalm picture when you need it?:rolleyes:

PoliCon
05-09-2010, 12:01 AM
We should tell the liberals that they need to offer themselves to be used as plugs to stop the flow and then stuff them into the well head until the flow stops or you run out of liberals.

BRILLIANT!!:D

Speedy
05-09-2010, 01:56 AM
Why am I not surprised you have expertise in this subject as well (including a degree)

Where is the ultimate facepalm picture when you need it?:rolleyes:

I have spoken of my Geology Degree since I first joined this site. When I started college in 1978 geologists were a precious commodity in West Texas. I gave up a good job to enlist.

RobJohnson
05-09-2010, 02:29 AM
I'm scared of the carbon footprint we will create by trying to stop the leak.

marv
05-09-2010, 12:00 PM
I don't think it was "ice" that plugged up the cap. More likely it was methane hydrate, common in the Gulf of Mexico. It probably also explains the cause of the explosion and fire. I'm surprised they didn't consider that possibility when constructing the cap.

But then, I'm only a school dropout. I just read books, so what do I know.

lacarnut
05-09-2010, 12:53 PM

:

You need one when you are the proprietor of a garage/filling station.:rolleyes:

Speedy
05-09-2010, 02:00 PM
You need one when you are the proprietor of a garage/filling station.:rolleyes:

Being on parole pretty much ended any type of geological consulting out here. The filling station once I got out of prison was the only job I could get.

BadCat
05-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Being on parole pretty much ended any type of geological consulting out here. The filling station once I got out of prison was the only job I could get.

What basin / play did you work?

Speedy
05-09-2010, 03:10 PM
What basin / play did you work?

Worked in several. The Trans Pecos, Midland and Permian. Did some exploratory work in the Naquatoc (Nacatoch?) Formation in Arkansas. The reason I chose geology as a major in college was because I worked on drilling rigs and casing crews during summers in high school. It seemed interesting and I was always pestering the geologists that came on the location with questions. They also made good money. I had planned on taking phys ed and being a football coach before that.

BadCat
05-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Worked in several. The Trans Pecos, Midland and Permian. Did some exploratory work in the Naquatoc (Nacatoch?) Formation in Arkansas. The reason I chose geology as a major in college was because I worked on drilling rigs and casing crews during summers in high school. It seemed interesting and I was always pestering the geologists that came on the location with questions. They also made good money. I had planned on taking phys ed and being a football coach before that.

I worked Williston Basin, ND, as well as some Anadarko and Denver-Julesburg plays.

Milly
05-11-2010, 11:32 AM

I'm keeping track of the thread over there, waiting for some DUmmie to come up with a solution that involves tinfoil.

FlaGator
05-11-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm keeping track of the thread over there, waiting for some DUmmie to come up with a solution that involves tinfoil.

I am truly surprised that one of them hasn't suggest a cork.