PDA

View Full Version : I had to drop a Facebook friend today

Carol
05-08-2010, 11:25 PM
link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=221x159601)

Over reacting seems to be a bad habit over at DU tonight.

bluestateguy Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sat May-08-10 09:34 PM
Original message
I had to drop a Facebook friend today

Somebody who I only slightly knew in high school; she had friended me months ago and I reciprocated.

Well I saw that she joined some anti-gay marriage group recently, so I quietly dropped her from my friend list.

She plastered pictures of her wedding all over her page; evidently she thinks her relationship with her husband is so much more special and meaningful than any relationship a gay couple may have together. So, he drops a distant friendship simply because the friend doesn't believe in gay marriage.

So now when a gay person posts pictures of his/her wedding it means that they think their relationship with so much more "special and meaningful" than a relationship a heterosexual couple may have together?:rolleyes:

What an intolerant thin skin dolt.

MindandSoul Donating Member (813 posts)
Sat May-08-10 10:21 PM
Response to Original message
3. Sorry you lost a friend. . .but she didn't seem to be such a good friend after all!

I have lost several friends also due to political differences. But as long as we KNOW we are on the side of openness and tolerance, we know we are on the right side.The irony is thick but we know the leftists never get it. You see "tolerance" means everyone has to be not only accepting but celebrate whatever they believe and whatever they say they are. It has nothing to do with the way they treat others. Only how others treat them.

Liberalynn (1000+ posts)
Sat May-08-10 10:22 PM
Response to Original message
4. I recently reconnected with a high school friend

Edited on Sat May-08-10 10:48 PM by Liberalynn
on Facebook too. She was one of my best friends and had an hysterical sense of humor. I haven't seen or talked to her in years though.

Unfortunately I see on her page that she has signed up as a fan of Glenn Beck. I didn't unfriend her, I just don't write or respond to her much anymore, now that I saw that.

So when I saw your post on the Latest Page, I just had to comment.

I am glad for you though that it wasn't a close friend you lost in this situation.

Iris (1000+ posts)
Sat May-08-10 10:44 PM
Response to Reply #4
5. I'm experiencing something similar

I even encouraged a former classmate to start a group for our class and the ones before and after us on Facebook, but after seeing what they had all turned into, I decided there was no use in going to a class reunion. I have nothing in common with them and I'd rather just remember them the way they were before this country became so divided.

Dan D. Doty
05-08-2010, 11:38 PM
It so sad that some people demand that everyone they know simply act as mirrors to their point of view; individualism seems so alien to them that they expect the world to be an echo chamber like DU.

NJCardFan
05-08-2010, 11:48 PM
I find this line hilariously hypocritical:

I have lost several friends also due to political differences. But as long as we KNOW we are on the side of openness and tolerance, we know we are on the right side.

The reason why I find it hilarious, Carol's assessment of the same line aside, is that here is an entire thread on the DUmp about ending friendships because the friend was the one who was intolerant. Huh. If anyone was ever a little foggy on the meaning of irony, this is a good way to explain it to them.

PoliCon
05-08-2010, 11:50 PM
But as long as we KNOW we are on the side of openness and tolerance, we know we are on the right side. You unfriend people over political differences - but you're the ones on the side of openness and tolerance???

fettpett
05-09-2010, 12:26 AM
speaking of...i just got into a big debat on FB about the AZ law. basically it was "the Indian's where here frist" and "how would you feel if your family was illegal" then to personal attacks. yep liberals are sooooooo tolerant :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
05-09-2010, 12:37 AM
I just say no to facebook, I already have enough things that irritate me!

CueSi
05-09-2010, 02:10 AM
I got into a FB tiff with my COUSIN over the law. Before that it was a friend of a friend over Sarah Palin. Then again, I like a good online fight. :p

~QC

Sonnabend
05-09-2010, 04:21 AM
But as long as we KNOW we are on the side of openness and tolerance, we know we are on the right side.

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af127/CU_01/tombstone.jpg

Sonnabend
05-09-2010, 04:22 AM
I admit I chopped off a Facebook friend....for trashing another friend of mine. he can make those kinds of comments all he likes...but not on MY account.

CueSi
05-09-2010, 04:49 AM
I know a liberal who is for strong borders getting the 3rd degree from his other liberal friends on FB. . .The guy has pure liberal/libertarian creds on everything else, but the moment he said that the border was a problem that needed to be handled. . .the lovefest just STOPPED.

Some libs are gonna be eating their own on the border issue.

~QC

PoliCon
05-09-2010, 10:08 AM
I admit I chopped off a Facebook friend....for trashing another friend of mine. he can make those kinds of comments all he likes...but not on MY account.

We've all unfriended people - but have you ever removed a friend because they said something you did not like politically? I've had it done to me - and I laughed about it - but then I don't claim to have a monopoly on tolerance. :rolleyes:

PoliCon
05-09-2010, 10:09 AM
I know a liberal who is for strong borders getting the 3rd degree from his other liberal friends on FB. . .The guy has pure liberal/libertarian creds on everything else, but the moment he said that the border was a problem that needed to be handled. . .the lovefest just STOPPED.

Some libs are gonna be eating their own on the border issue.

~QC

They always eat their own.

Speedy
05-09-2010, 10:48 AM
I use face book to keep up with guys I ride sportbike motorcycles with. All political views are tolerated by all of us. What is unforgiveable is choosing Harleys or cruisers over crotch rockets.

fettpett
05-09-2010, 08:09 PM
I use face book to keep up with guys I ride sportbike motorcycles with. All political views are tolerated by all of us. What is unforgiveable is choosing Harleys or cruisers over crotch rockets.

no...you guys got it wrong...it's always Harley over anything else. nothing like a good American Made bike :D

Speedy
05-09-2010, 08:35 PM
no...you guys got it wrong...it's always Harley over anything else. nothing like a good American Made bike :D

Motorcycles are made for ridiin'. Harleys are for posin'.

fettpett
05-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Motorcycles are made for ridiin'. Harleys are for posin'.

I know many people that will disagree with you :p :D

Speedy
05-09-2010, 10:01 PM
I know many people that will disagree with you :p :D

How many skills do you need to ride a Harley or Cruiser? Once you learn to ride one, that is as good as it gets. A sportbike, on the other hand, you can always work to be a better rider.

M21
05-09-2010, 10:35 PM
All great reasons to not talk politics on FB.

Odysseus
05-10-2010, 05:46 AM

I've done it over politics,. A friend had posted a photo of Sarah Palin with a Hitler mustache imposed on her, and I wanted to know what she'd done that justified that. We went back and forth for a while, but the friend couldn't cite a single quote or identify any of her real positions, but still felt justified in calling her a Nazi. I unfriended him because I just didn't want to see that kind of sophmoric statement showing up on my page.

PoliCon
05-10-2010, 08:24 AM
I've done it over politics,. A friend had posted a photo of Sarah Palin with a Hitler mustache imposed on her, and I wanted to know what she'd done that justified that. We went back and forth for a while, but the friend couldn't cite a single quote or identify any of her real positions, but still felt justified in calling her a Nazi. I unfriended him because I just didn't want to see that kind of sophmoric statement showing up on my page.

That's when you hide them from your feed.

Sonnabend
05-10-2010, 08:35 AM
We've all unfriended people - but have you ever removed a friend because they said something you did not like politically? I've had it done to me - and I laughed about it - but then I don't claim to have a monopoly on tolerance.

No. I dont take "friends" on unless I know them or are connected to someone I know. My list is selective and is "pruned" when necessary (inactive etc...)

I dont take liberals on my list because I have no patience with arrant stupidity.

PoliCon
05-10-2010, 09:27 AM
No. I dont take "friends" on unless I know them or are connected to someone I know. My list is selective and is "pruned" when necessary (inactive etc...)

I dont take liberals on my list because I have no patience with arrant stupidity.

If I did that I would not have more than half my family on my list seeing as how most of them are leftists. And I have friends from church who are on the left side of the political spectrum - we agree on God - just not on politics. I have no friends who are not people I am connected to in some way - but they're not all conservatives.

ralph wiggum
05-10-2010, 09:35 AM
All great reasons to not talk politics on FB.

Yep, which is why I don't.