PDA

View Full Version : Man's suicide shot also kills his sleeping wife

Gingersnap
05-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Man's suicide shot also kills his sleeping wife

BY STAN FINGER
The Wichita Eagle

Two people were found shot to death at this home at 3415 South Everett.

The 70-year-old man who committed suicide by shooting himself in the head early Sunday morning ended up killing his wife with the same bullet, Wichita police said.

The woman's daughter called police when she discovered their bodies at about 1 p.m. Sunday in the 3400 block of South Everett, Lt. Ken Landwehr said.

Gene Whitmore was lying on the bed when he pulled the trigger of the medium-caliber handgun, Landwehr said. The bullet passed through his head from right to left and then struck 66-year-old Betty Whitmore in the head, killing her as she slept.

"I have never worked one like this before," Landwehr said.

There is no indication Whitmore intended to injure his wife, he said. Their bodies were found two to three feet apart.

Investigators think the shooting occurred at about 4 a.m., Landwehr said.

None of the people staying in the house heard the gunshot, he said.

There has to be more to this one. I mean, who shoots themselves right next to a bedmate? Even if everything went according to plan, you would still get brains and everything all over the other person and probably shock 10 years off their life. :eek:

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/2010/05/11/1308186/mans-suicide-shot-also-kills-his.html#ixzz0nelFR65E

djones520
05-11-2010, 05:00 PM
There has to be more to this one. I mean, who shoots themselves right next to a bedmate? Even if everything went according to plan, you would still get brains and everything all over the other person and probably shock 10 years off their life. :eek:

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/2010/05/11/1308186/mans-suicide-shot-also-kills-his.html#ixzz0nelFR65E

Spent 4 hours in suicide awareness training yesterday, and one of the key things they highlighted was that the person is usually incapable of thinking of the "survivors" when they get to the point that their actually going through with it.

Articulate_Ape
05-11-2010, 05:00 PM

Maybe he was trying to shoot her and decided to use his head to muffle the shot so the neighbors wouldn't hear.

Gingersnap
05-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Maybe he was trying to shoot her and decided to use his head to muffle the shot so the neighbors wouldn't hear.

Sounds like it worked.

Articulate_Ape
05-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Sounds like it worked.

Brilliantly.

noonwitch
05-12-2010, 09:22 AM
I have seen situations where the person who committed suicide made sure that someone would find them, but didn't want anyone to witness the death. A guy from one of the other offices in my district left a voice mail for a coworker on her work line, knowing she wouldn't be checking her messages until morning, telling her to "take care of my pets for me". She rushed to his house after getting the message to find him dead, with the doors unlocked, the dogs with overflowing bowls of food, and all of his bills/receipts and legal paperwork laying on the kitchen table.

I would have to say that a man who plans to shoot himself in bed, while his wife is sleeping, wants her to be traumatized to some degree, or he would have done it when she wasn't home.

RobJohnson
05-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Old people do stupid shit. :)