PDA

View Full Version : Robin Hood: Not PC Enough For The Left.

Gingersnap
05-13-2010, 11:10 AM
CANNES: Not All Aquiver For 'Robin Hood'?
CANNES: Not All Aquiver For 'Robin Hood'?

By TIM ADLER | Thursday, 13 May 2010 12:19 UK

The 63rd Cannes Film Festival opened with Ridley Scottís Robin Hood. Stars Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett (but not director Ridley Sctt, sidelined after painful knee surgery) faced 3,000 journalists from 80 countries. Launching a big movie like this at Cannes can leave a studio vulnerable to incoming arrows. Itís also incredibly expensive, costing Universal up to $5 million to fly in everybody from the talent to the executives and stage the glitzy premiere and after-party. Then again, the budget for the film was already high at $225 million (yet another reason Universal Pictures chairman Marc Shmuger was fired). Speaking from the red carpeted steps of the Palais des Festivals in his dinner jacket, Universal's international president David Kosse was upbeat about the movieís prospects. The studio is estimating -- and audience tracking surveys suggest -- that Robin Hood could sell twice as many tickets overseas as it does domestically, hence the Cannes hoopla. Then again, London's Daily Mirror is giving away free pairs of Robin Hood tickets to its readers starting this weekend.

So what kind of reception has Universal received for its money? The execs thought the movie "played great" to the media, gushing to Deadline that "reviews and early numbers internationally are terrific". But I found press reaction to the first screening was muted, with some critics questioning the political correctness of the script.

This just became a 'must see' film for me. The libs are howling over it so it must have some redeeming features. :)

Deadline (http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/cannes-all-a-quiver-for-robin-hood/)

noonwitch
05-13-2010, 11:31 AM
It's the Frogs who are crying. It seems they are made fun of in the movie. I guess they missed Monty Python and The Holy Grail.

Gingersnap
05-13-2010, 11:59 AM
It's the Frogs who are crying. It seems they are made fun of in the movie. I guess they missed Monty Python and The Holy Grail.

It's more than the Frogs. People are saying that the movie has an anti-government message. :)

linda22003
05-13-2010, 12:01 PM
My objection is that I think Russell Crowe is rather long in the tooth to be playing Robin, but I'm sure I'll end up at the movies since my husband loves any and all Robin Hood stories.

noonwitch
05-13-2010, 02:02 PM
It's more than the Frogs. People are saying that the movie has an anti-government message. :)

Just think-3 years ago, that message would have been politically correct!

I might go see it, I like Russell Crowe and I like Robin Hood, I even liked parts of the Kevin Costner version (although not the star). I liked Alan Rickman as the Sheriff, and the woman who played the crazy witch, and the forest scenes were beautifully shot.

My all time favorite of that genre of movies isn't a Robin Hood story, it's Excalibur. If this telling of Robin Hood does to that legend what Excalibur did to the King Arthur legend, only with modern production values, it should be an awesome movie.

Speedy
05-13-2010, 02:06 PM
People are saying that the movie has an anti-government message. :)

A Robin Hood movie where he takes on governmental figures? What will they think of next?

Gingersnap
05-13-2010, 02:49 PM
A Robin Hood movie where he takes on governmental figures? What will they think of next?

I guess the Left is ticked because the production gossip was that the script took the Sheriff's side. They changed the name from 'Nottingham' to 'Robin Hood' and the script went from praising law and order back to thumbing a nose at government.

There's just no truth in advertising anymore. :D

djones520
05-13-2010, 02:52 PM
My objection is that I think Russell Crowe is rather long in the tooth to be playing Robin, but I'm sure I'll end up at the movies since my husband loves any and all Robin Hood stories.

And Cate Blanchett playing Maid Mariane? I'd buy Crowe over her anyday. I'm super psyched about this movie for everything but her. I can't stand her.

NJCardFan
05-13-2010, 11:28 PM

One of the funniest scenes ever. Gotta love those English K-Nig-Its.

enslaved1
05-14-2010, 01:14 AM
Rewriting history isn't enough, now the libs want to rewrite fiction. too? Give me a break. I can't wait for the sands of time to bury these fools. Remeber, the winners write the history books. :D

PoliCon
05-14-2010, 01:16 AM

Robinhood IS an anti-government message. He didn't rob from the rich to give to the poor - he stole the tax money from a corrupt and over reaching government and gave it back to the people. Don't people READ anymore??

Zathras
05-14-2010, 01:23 AM
One of the funniest scenes ever. Gotta love those English K-Nig-Its.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8yjNbcKkNY

PoliCon
05-14-2010, 01:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8yjNbcKkNY

have you played: http://www.spamspamspamspam.co.uk/go/game/ ?

Wei Wu Wei
05-14-2010, 04:04 AM
The Left

malloc
05-14-2010, 04:47 AM
The Left

Is fucking clueless?

movie buff
05-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Just think-3 years ago, that message would have been politically correct!

I might go see it, I like Russell Crowe and I like Robin Hood, I even liked parts of the Kevin Costner version (although not the star). I liked Alan Rickman as the Sheriff, and the woman who played the crazy witch, and the forest scenes were beautifully shot.

The Costner movie is good, not because of Costner (In SPITE of Costner, in fact), but because it had a great supporting cast, with Alan Rickman, Morgan Freeman, and the rest.

I was already planning on seeing this, now knowing that libs are whining about it, I'll gain a LOT more satisfaction from it!

PoliCon
05-14-2010, 09:31 AM
The Costner movie is good, not because of Costner (In SPITE of Costner, in fact), but because it had a great supporting cast, with Alan Rickman, Morgan Freeman, and the rest.

I was already planning on seeing this, now knowing that libs are whining about it, I'll gain a LOT more satisfaction from it!

Alan Rickman is what made that movie tolerable.

Gingersnap
05-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Robinhood IS an anti-government message. He didn't rob from the rich to give to the poor - he stole the tax money from a corrupt and over reaching government and gave it back to the people. Don't people READ anymore??

LOL! Sure, the historical setting and actions were but most people only know about the "taking from the rich" part. They aren't familiar with political and economic issues of the time. ;)

noonwitch
05-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Alan Rickman is what made that movie tolerable.

He's my favorite in the Harry Potter movies, too. He was born to play villains.

PoliCon
05-14-2010, 11:34 PM
LOL! Sure, the historical setting and actions were but most people only know about the "taking from the rich" part. They aren't familiar with political and economic issues of the time. ;)

"taking from the rich"

Another idiotic leftist meme.:rolleyes:

movie buff
05-15-2010, 10:46 AM

Funny you should say that.
I have been compiling the books I will bring on my vacation to Canada in late June. Among the books I'll bring will be one that I got from my brother for Christmas (And which he apparently got from a friend of his whose parents used to own a used bookstore): A beautiful, 1946 edition of Howard Pyle's "The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood."