PDA

View Full Version : Jobless Claims Hit Six-Year High

LogansPapa
08-07-2008, 11:03 AM
By BRIAN BLACKSTONE
August 7, 2008 10:32 a.m.

WASHINGTON -- The number of U.S. workers filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly rose last week to a six-year high, as the recent extension of unemployment benefits continued to draw new claimants into the system.

Still, those technical issues aside the numbers, which included another rise in continuing claims, suggest the outlook for labor markets and consumer spending remains bleak as households face high energy prices and falling home values.

Separately, a forecasting tool for sales of previously owned homes rose in June, but remains well below levels from one year ago.

Initial claims for unemployment benefits rose 7,000 to 455,000 after seasonal adjustments in the week ended Aug. 2, the Labor Department said Thursday. That's the highest level since March 2002. Economists in a Dow Jones Newswires survey expected a 20,000 decline.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121811199048220413.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

LogansPapa
08-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Not to worry - the $600 Stimulus Package will see them through. Happy times. Just go fishing!;)

Zafod
08-07-2008, 11:13 AM
any bad news is good news for you.

Zafod
08-07-2008, 11:14 AM
oh and I keep forgeting to tell you...

AC's suck!

front heavy fishy tailing pieces of shit.

AmPat
08-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Not to worry - the $600 Stimulus Package will see them through. Happy times. Just go fishing!;)

1. It is NOT the responsibility of the government to "see them through."
2. Job retention is not the responsibility of the government.
3. I can think of 600 reasons why the government is trying to give some relief from current economic downturn. If the 600 offends you, send it to me. :cool:

lacarnut
08-07-2008, 11:19 AM
If I lived in CA, I would be worried with a 15 billion deficit. Arnuld and the Democ. legislators have the answers for those in the kool-aid state. More taxes are on the way. If you dummies would drill in the offshore area, the deficit could be cut drastically.

LogansPapa
08-07-2008, 11:36 AM
If the 600 offends you, send it to me. :cool:

Can't - didn't qualify.;)

asdf2231
08-07-2008, 12:28 PM
THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION: JULY 2008

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

The unemployment rate rose to 5.7 percent, and nonfarm payroll employment
continued to trend down in July (-51,000), the Bureau of Labor Statistics of
the U.S. Department of Labor reported today. Employment continued to fall in
construction, manufacturing, and several service-providing industries, while
health care and mining continued to add jobs. Average hourly earnings rose by
6 cents, or 0.3 percent, over the month.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l307/asdf2231/smileys%20and%20fun/cats/Funny_Pictures_962.jpg

Give it a fracking rest you pathetic assbag.

FlaGator
08-07-2008, 12:34 PM
I remember when 5.7 percent was considered great.

Molon Labe
08-07-2008, 12:36 PM
1. It is NOT the responsibility of the government to "see them through."
2. Job retention is not the responsibility of the government.
3. I can think of 600 reasons why the government is trying to give some relief from current economic downturn. If the 600 offends you, send it to me. :cool:

I agree with all your points, but 3. If the government is going to be responsible and stay out of the way...then they also need to quit mortgaging future generations by borrowing money to give in tax rebates.

Uncle Sam didn't just go to his treasure trove and pull out 600 bucks to give to each of us. He went to a foreign government and borrowed it.

NonConformist
08-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Tampa and St Petersburg are in full recession here, businesses are closing up all over and I cant even get a job myself. We currently have the highest unemployment rate in the state of Florida

LogansPapa
08-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Small rise from May brings the gauge to a nearly five-year high. The Los Angeles area has suffered substantial losses since a year earlier.

By Marc Lifsher, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer / July 19, 2008

SACRAMENTO -- California's jobless rate crept ahead Friday as experts saw weakness spreading into new areas of the economy.

For months, job losses were concentrated in the state's housing industry. But with June's increase of one-tenth of a percentage point to 6.9%, it was evident that a broader downturn is underway.

In all, the state lost 12,800 jobs in June compared with May. The number of government workers fell 6%, while professional and business positions declined 5.2%, manufacturing 4.4% and the information sector, which includes television and film production, 2.6%. Retail trade dropped 2.5%, according to an analysis of state figures by Beacon Economics, a Los Angeles consulting firm.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-caljobs19-2008jul19,0,6469603.story

asdf2231
08-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Small rise from May brings the gauge to a nearly five-year high. The Los Angeles area has suffered substantial losses since a year earlier.

By Marc Lifsher, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer / July 19, 2008

SACRAMENTO -- California's jobless rate crept ahead Friday as experts saw weakness spreading into new areas of the economy.

For months, job losses were concentrated in the state's housing industry. But with June's increase of one-tenth of a percentage point to 6.9%, it was evident that a broader downturn is underway.

In all, the state lost 12,800 jobs in June compared with May. The number of government workers fell 6%, while professional and business positions declined 5.2%, manufacturing 4.4% and the information sector, which includes television and film production, 2.6%. Retail trade dropped 2.5%, according to an analysis of state figures by Beacon Economics, a Los Angeles consulting firm.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-caljobs19-2008jul19,0,6469603.story

So California is a liberal cesspool that is killing jobs.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Quote:
Ordinance would require shelters for day laborers
Daily News Wire Service
Article Last Updated: 08/05/2008 11:50:59 PM PDT

LOS ANGELES -- Companies that open large home-improvement stores in Los Angeles would have to set aside space for day laborers under an ordinance unanimously approved today by a City Council committee.
The proposed ordinance was passed by the Planning and Land Use Management Committee, but must still be approved by the full council.

If passed, the ordinance would require new home improvement stores that are 100,000 square feet or larger, or any building or structure where 250,000 square feet or more of warehouse floor area is added, to set aside space for day laborers seeking employment from customers.

The shelters would have to be easily accessible and equipped with drinking water, bathrooms, tables with seating and trash facilities.

Home-improvement stores would also be required to develop a security plan in consultation with the Los Angeles Police Department.

LogansPapa
08-07-2008, 05:33 PM
So California is a liberal cesspool that is killing jobs.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

What youíre failing to realise is that as California goes - job wise - so goes the nation. We do have about 10% of the countryís population, you know?

OwlMBA
08-07-2008, 05:41 PM
With an increase in hispanic immigration and dropouts among minorities in inner city schools, is it really a surprise that the number of people who ask for money from the government is increasing?

OwlMBA
08-07-2008, 05:42 PM
What youíre failing to realise is that as California goes - job wise - so goes the nation. We do have about 10% of the countryís population, you know?

And about 90% of the country's idiots.

lacarnut
08-07-2008, 05:50 PM

With high taxes and more on the way, Californians will start saying "Hasta La Vista Baby" and moving to another state.

OwlMBA
08-07-2008, 05:53 PM
With high taxes and more on the way, Californians will start saying "Hasta La Vista Baby" and moving to another state.

I sure as @#$% hope they don't come to Ohio.

But they won't. That is what Nevada and Arizona are for. They take all the ex-Californians.

California is about 20 years from being the state of the illegals, the homos, and the hollywood do-gooders and nobody else. Oh, wait.....

LogansPapa
08-07-2008, 05:55 PM

* The total gross state product in 2005 for Louisiana was US168 billion, placing it 24th in the nation. Its per capita personal income is US$30,952, ranking 41st in the United States.

:p

OwlMBA
08-07-2008, 05:58 PM
* The total gross state product in 2005 for Louisiana was US168 billion, placing it 24th in the nation. Its per capita personal income is US$30,952, ranking 41st in the United States.

Only a liberal would use that kind of economics to justify anything.

And what is the cost of living in Louisiana relative to california?

Here is a newsflash, I live in Ohio. We have very low per capita income and household income. But we also have insanely low cost of living. Gas here is 20 cents a gallon less than the national average. Food costs less too. Housing costs? Ha! Dirt cheap. Therefore if I earn the same as a colleague in San Francisco (very easy for those of us in the high-tech industry), I can live like royalty while he lives in a 1 bedroom apartment next to 20 illegals and a crackhead that uses his sidewalk to go twosies.

lacarnut
08-07-2008, 06:16 PM

The cost of living in Louisiana is far,far, far, far less in Louisiana than in CA. Property tax on a $200,000 home is $300 per year. My utility bill runs around $80 per month. The new Governor has reduced state income taxes, and several large industries are in the process of moving here. My house has appreciated more than 50% in the last 3 years. The state of Louisiana has a huge budget surplus because of the oil and chemical industries. BTW, it is more cost effective (tax exemptions) to make movies in Louisiana than in the kool-aid state.

Now, tell me all the good news out in CA or is it Hasta La Vista Baby

LogansPapa
08-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Has little to do with the cost of living - has a bit more to do with productivity, I would think. :p

lacarnut
08-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Has little to do with the cost of living - has a bit more to do with productivity, I would think. :p

When I can buy a beautiful 1,800 sq ft new home for around $200k and it cost twice or three times more than that amount in CA, it's the cost of living stupid rather than productivity.

Molon Labe
08-07-2008, 06:42 PM
When I can buy a beautiful 1,800 sq ft new home for around $200k and it cost twice or three times more than that amount in CA, it's the cost of living stupid rather than productivity.

Sure...but don't forget all those consumer goodies you have that allow you to enjoy your cost of living are made where? Probably in California.

LogansPapa
08-07-2008, 06:45 PM
You can build a God-damned Taj Mahal in Louisiana, but itís still in a bug infested swamp that gets smacked by hurricanes.:p

Shannon
08-07-2008, 06:48 PM
You can build a God-damned Taj Mahal in Louisiana, but itís still in a bug infested swamp that gets smacked by hurricanes.:p

I know, right. California only gets earthquakes, wildfires and mudslides.

LibraryLady
08-07-2008, 06:51 PM

You've been watching too much TV.

LogansPapa
08-07-2008, 07:01 PM
I know, right. California only gets earthquakes, wildfires and mudslides.

http://blog.apogee.gr/files/funny_cat.jpg

So What?

lacarnut
08-07-2008, 07:02 PM

I have lived thru many hurricanes and the only damage was a broken window. The closest swamp is 40 miles from me so you are just showing your ignorance.

Between all the illegals, the fags and freaks, crime, liberal and env. kooks, high taxes, fires, mudslides, earthquakes, etc. I would not live in that shit-hole state called CA.

Hasta La Vista Baby

lacarnut
08-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Sure...but don't forget all those consumer goodies you have that allow you to enjoy your cost of living are made where? Probably in California.

You mean Consumer goodies like tainted veggies and ground beef. If you are speaking of food, our strawberries and tomatoes are far superior to anything coming out of CA.

Shannon
08-07-2008, 07:33 PM
http://blog.apogee.gr/files/funny_cat.jpg

So What?

I dunno. You started rambling on about swamps and hurricanes. I just thought I'd point out some of the joys of your state.

AmPat
08-07-2008, 09:38 PM
I agree with all your points, but 3. If the government is going to be responsible and stay out of the way...then they also need to quit mortgaging future generations by borrowing money to give in tax rebates.

Uncle Sam didn't just go to his treasure trove and pull out 600 bucks to give to each of us. He went to a foreign government and borrowed it.

You are ultimately correct. However, the stimulus payment belonged to me initially anyway so I look at it as the Gubmint returning stolen revenue.:cool: