PDA

View Full Version : Kwame goes to jail!!!!

noonwitch
08-07-2008, 11:32 AM
It seems that the Detroit mayor took a "business trip" across the river to Windsor yesterday without asking the judge permission, first. He was taken into custody in the courtroom.

This just gets more and more fun as it progresses.

www.freep.com

LibraryLady
08-07-2008, 11:36 AM
I thought about you the minute I heard this.

Unfortunately his mom won the nomination again, right?

noonwitch
08-07-2008, 12:48 PM
I thought about you the minute I heard this.

Unfortunately his mom won the nomination again, right?

Yeah, but it was closer than any previous primaries she faced. She had 39% of the vote, and the next person had 36%.

The district includes some non-democrat areas, like the Grosse Points. The GOP should try a little harder to defeat her-if they ran a moderate african-american against her, it could possibly happen. Especially if that candidate was either a minister or a teacher-voters like that in Detroit.

Irish Mom
08-07-2008, 12:57 PM
I tell ya, if he doesn't resign now . . Granholm had better step in and do it for him.

This state, under Democrat leadership, is a disgrace . . WE NEED TO BE SAVED!!!

noonwitch
08-07-2008, 01:19 PM
I tell ya, if he doesn't resign now . . Granholm had better step in and do it for him.

This state, under Democrat leadership, is a disgrace . . WE NEED TO BE SAVED!!!

If the GOP wants to recapture the governor's office in 2010, they need to consider running someone who is not a religious conservative from West Michigan. Oakland County Republicans are more moderate than those in other parts of the state. Gorcyca (Oakland County Prosecutor) might be a good candidate-watch for the dems to run Dennis Archer, who was a good mayor of Detroit from 1993 to 2001. And, depending on the outcome of this case and the November Presidential election, look for Kym Worthy to run for AG on the dem ticket. Archer could get a pick for a federal judgeship or something under a President Obama, although he was more of a Clinton ally. He was once chief justice of the Michigan Supreme Court, and people outside the city like him. Most of the downtown development that Kwame takes credit for was actually done on Archer's watch, and some of it even goes back to Big Daddy (Coleman Young).

Engler won so big in 94 and 98 because despite his conservatism, he was not seen as a religious conservative. He also was from Mt. Pleasant, not Dutch country.

Irish Mom
08-07-2008, 02:00 PM
It's was too bad that Archer was limited by the city council . . which I think does far more damage to the city than the Mayor. Archer was good, but the council didn't like him because he wasn't "black" enough . . he wasn't down for the struggle, so to speak. And he put too much emphasis on the downtown, and seemed to forget the people and neighborhoods. That didn't go over well. Along comes Kwame . .

Last governor election, DeVos was the better candidate, but lacked personality. If he would have been able to make a better connection with the people, he would have won. He is just what this state needs - a good business mind. I would like to see him run again. I understand that he's considering it.

Detroit is in ruins . . literally. Nothing short of a completely revolutionary change is going to help.

NonConformist
08-07-2008, 03:06 PM
That criminal has had it coming for years!

OwlMBA
08-07-2008, 05:44 PM
He is unbelievably corrupt, but then again, so is that entire city. Ditto Cleveland. The feds just raided their offices last week. And the fellow former black mayor of Newark NJ just got sent up the river last week for corruption.

I would like to see the statistic of what percentage of elected black officials end up investigated/in prison relative to white elected officials. I bet it is skewed.

Nubs
08-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Engler won so big in 94 and 98 because despite his conservatism, he was not seen as a religious conservative. He also was from Mt. Pleasant, not Dutch country.

Hey now, I resemble that remark

noonwitch
08-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Hey now, I resemble that remark

People around Detroit don't trust people from Grand Rapids. This includes Oakland county GOP voters, who do occasionally vote for democrats, if they don't like the GOP nominee. That is why Levin remains a Senator who really never has to worry about losing a re-election. They liked Engler, and didn't like Posthumous or DeVos, because they were religious conservatives from Grand Rapids.
Not only was DeVos dutch and christian reformed, he also owns Amway (or whatever it is currently called), and that company is viewed with much suspicion on this side of the state. They are non-union and considered a pyramid scheme.

LibraryLady
08-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Kilpatrick faces felony assault charge today (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080808/NEWS01/808080367)

Shortly after Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick wakes up in jail this morning -- still reeling from becoming the first sitting mayor in Detroit's 307-year history to spend a night behind bars -- Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox is expected to charge him with felony assault.

As the mayor's police bodyguards and a courtroom officer led Kilpatrick away, shock waves spread across Michigan and produced national headlines.

Political leaders, including some who had been reluctant to demand Kilpatrick's resignation, called for the 38-year-old mayor to step down.

Some supporters continued to stand by him. Other diehards sought to distance themselves.

Kandia Milton, a longtime family friend recently appointed as Kilpatrick's chief of staff, grabbed the reins of city government as acting mayor.

Inside the mayor's office on the 11th floor of city hall, Kilpatrick staffers -- many of them relatives and family friends -- were stunned.

"It was more shock than somber," said mayoral spokeswoman Denise Tolliver. "The mood was, 'We can't believe this is happening.' "

SaintLouieWoman
08-09-2008, 11:02 AM
He is unbelievably corrupt, but then again, so is that entire city. Ditto Cleveland. The feds just raided their offices last week. And the fellow former black mayor of Newark NJ just got sent up the river last week for corruption.

I would like to see the statistic of what percentage of elected black officials end up investigated/in prison relative to white elected officials. I bet it is skewed.

I can say from personal experience in selling to various governmental agencies over the years that those statistics don't hold up. In fact the black officials in the local government have been meticulous in avoiding even a hint of corruption.

I think that officials in both parties can be corrupt; it depends on the traditions and practices of the area. I doubt if Mayor Daley in Chicago runs a totally clean government. The white police chief in STL just retired after the local rag discovered a scandal involving a towing service. His daughter was involved and he never disclosed any info. The previous two chiefs were black, and were scrupulously clean.

It isn't a matter of black or white, Repubs or Dems, at least in what I've seen over the last 20+ years. It revolves around the individuals and how they handle power. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Constitutionally Speaking
08-09-2008, 05:50 PM
People around Detroit don't trust people from Grand Rapids. This includes Oakland county GOP voters, who do occasionally vote for democrats, if they don't like the GOP nominee. That is why Levin remains a Senator who really never has to worry about losing a re-election. They liked Engler, and didn't like Posthumous or DeVos, because they were religious conservatives from Grand Rapids.
Not only was DeVos dutch and christian reformed, he also owns Amway (or whatever it is currently called), and that company is viewed with much suspicion on this side of the state. They are non-union and considered a pyramid scheme.

This suspicion is not founded in reality, and is a result of a conscious effort at smearing by the Democrats.

I KNOW Dick DeVos and there could not be a more honest and forthright man