PDA

View Full Version : Yard sales

patriot45
05-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Anybody do them? I was invited to join someone tomorrow who is a pro! These people are dead serious, it has been advertized in the papers, signs have been posted and everything. They set up this afternoon and have all the tables tarped over!
I on the other hand have just finished tagging my items and have them stacked by the door, I have to get there by 6 to set up, it starts at 7 and goes on till Sunday!

Could be fun, I just mixed 2 quarts of bloody marys to take, not to sell!:D

lacarnut
05-13-2010, 10:01 PM
When my parents moved, they had a big garage sale. My dad was not too excited about it but when he started getting dollars in his pocket everything changed. I got a big kick out of watching him put the hard sell on.

You will have a good time.

Gingersnap
05-13-2010, 10:03 PM
We've done them.

It's like a military operation. You have to have a plan, be prepared, and you need to be flexible. Wear a utility belt and have a lot of change. Run an extension cord out so people can try any electrical stuff you have. Mark every thing clearly and in big numbers. Be prepared to make deals on groups of items: 5 paperbacks for $2.00, 3 framed pictures for $15, 1 "bag" of kid's clothing for $10. Go ahead and counter a low-ball offer but not by much - your goal is to get rid of stuff.

Post signs at the site that tell people that all remaining "stuff" will be 50% off after 2:00 pm (or whatever). If your aim is to reduce crap, you need to be basically willing to almost pay people to cart it off for you. If you are so attached to an object that this won't work - put it on Ebay.

Have a cooler of plain iced tea, disposable cups, sugar, etc., and a big barrel for waste. If kid toys are part of the thing, segregate the toys over on lawn and let parents know that their kids can "play" over there.

End it all by 6:00 p.m., drive all the leftover to the donation place, order a pizza, and drink heavily. ;)

patriot45
05-13-2010, 10:09 PM
We've done them.

It's like a military operation. You have to have a plan, be prepared, and you need to be flexible. Wear a utility belt and have a lot of change. Run an extension cord out so people can try any electrical stuff you have. Mark every thing clearly and in big numbers. Be prepared to make deals on groups of items: 5 paperbacks for $2.00, 3 framed pictures for $15, 1 "bag" of kid's clothing for $10. Go ahead and counter a low-ball offer but not by much - your goal is to get rid of stuff.

Post signs at the site that tell people that all remaining "stuff" will be 50% off after 2:00 pm (or whatever). If your aim is to reduce crap, you need to be basically willing to almost pay people to cart it off for you. If you are so attached to an object that this won't work - put it on Ebay.

Have a cooler of plain iced tea, disposable cups, sugar, etc., and a big barrel for waste. If kid toys are part of the thing, segregate the toys over on lawn and let parents know that their kids can "play" over there.

End it all by 6:00 p.m., drive all the leftover to the donation place, order a pizza, and drink heavily. ;)

You lost me untill - drink heavily! :D
Yeah I got the FYI on this this afternoon, I am so prepared I have to hit the ATM in the morning, shoot to the shell station to get the 20's broken down! I already tagged everything in bright blue and green stickies!
I am not selling trash, people can get a great bargain but I have alot of high price items, if they don't go I will keep them!

Gingersnap
05-13-2010, 10:27 PM
Yeah I got the FYI on this this afternoon, I am so prepared I have to hit the ATM in the morning, shoot to the shell station to get the 20's broken down! I already tagged everything in bright blue and green stickies!
I am not selling trash, people can get a great bargain but I have alot of high price items, if they don't go I will keep them!

Fish or cut bait, friend. If your "high end" items don't sell by noon, either mark them more reasonably or pull them.

Anything that is of any interest to real collectors should be moved on Ebay or craigslist, if you want something like a real market price. Garage sales are for crap (if you are the seller).

What I forgot: music! Know your clientèle. Where I live, country and moldy/oldy rock works. In the city, maybe smooth jazz or New Age. Other places might do better with old school Rap or Salsa. Do what works but keep it low.

Space Gravy
05-13-2010, 11:05 PM

They don't call them early birds for nothin'. I had one when I moved, posted I would start it at 7:00am and I had people there at 6:00am going through stuff as I was putting it out. 60% of my stuff was gone in the 1st hour.

Nubs
05-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Another tidbit

Don't close too early on Saturday afternoon. The Hispanics come out in droves between 3p-5p.

Speedy
05-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Another tidbit

Don't close too early on Saturday afternoon. The Hispanics come out in droves between 3p-5p.

That is when you call the Border Patrol.

Rebel Yell
05-14-2010, 11:56 AM
You can drive through town ere on Saturday morning and there's one set up in nearly every parking lot. We plan on having one the first week of June or July. You have have it the first weekend after the 3rd here. That's when the natives get their checks.

Rockntractor
05-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Are you selling your underwear too?:confused::eek:

NJCardFan
05-14-2010, 01:01 PM
We're having one tomorrow.

patriot45
05-14-2010, 05:42 PM
This stuff is no fun in the friggin heat! Its hard work, every one picks every thing up, asks 100 questions then puts it down and buys something for 25 cents!!! We had a big layout but I think Friday is not the best day to start this, I hope tomorrow is better.

It was just me and my friends mother(who is a pro)!
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/HPIM1134.jpg

She had a ton of typical flea market kinda stuff, socks, hats and baubles. I had stuff from the backroom! :D

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/HPIM1132.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/HPIM1133.jpg

We are tarping it all and will start fresh 8 am tomorrow!

I also started too soon with the bloody marys!! I about drowned when I got home and jumped in the pool!

lacarnut
05-14-2010, 06:39 PM
!

I also started too soon with the bloody marys!! I about drowned when I got home and jumped in the pool!

Nothing worse than a man that can not hold his liquor.:rolleyes::)

patriot45
05-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Nothing worse than a man that can not hold his liquor.:rolleyes::)

I guess breakfast coulda helped or maybe even lunch! It was liquid diet today!!:D

Rockntractor
05-14-2010, 06:51 PM
I guess breakfast coulda helped or maybe even lunch! It was liquid diet today!!:D

Did you sell all your dolls?:rolleyes:

Jumpy
05-14-2010, 07:01 PM
I HATE having yardsales and have not had one in many years. I LOVE going to yardsales and am out of bed by 5:30 on Saturday morning, mapping out my route. I am usually finished yardsaling by 8-9 AM. I am the queen of yardsaling, and am really really good at it. I do not hoard, and hate clutter, so I am fussy about what I buy. For Christmas, my parents and sisters give Christmas gifts from yardsale finds. We have a $20 limit and you would be amazed at the treasures you can find for $20.

Just recently I sold an item on Ebay that I bought for $50. It is a small kitchen appliance, and I sold it for $1100. (!!) It was a bargain at that price.

Last week I bought infriggencredible computer speakers for $3. that I use with my ipod and these speakers are way better than the docking station that my neighbor uses.

I bought a set of ladies golf clubs, and bag for $7. I know nothing about golf, but am having fun hitting balls into the field behind my place. We have neighbor kids who bring them back to us for a small fee.

Bought a cool bicycle for $20. Its fun to mix bike riding with my daily walks.

I have a great itinerary in mind for tomorrow morning.. a few awesome neighborhood sales. I cant wait!!!

Jumpy
05-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Patriot, that looks like a great yardsale!! I love it when things are well organized, including a good variety of things.

Articulate_Ape
05-14-2010, 07:16 PM
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/JamesSavant/Yardsale2.jpg

Bubba Dawg
05-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Hey, how did you get Poli to sell his fort? :confused:

Rockntractor
05-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Hey, how did you get Poli to sell his fort? :confused:

Poli probably peed in it.:eek:

Bubba Dawg
05-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Poli probably peed in it.:eek:

Maybe he outgrew it.....Aw Heck, wot am I sayin'....:rolleyes:

RobJohnson
05-15-2010, 06:03 AM
Anybody do them? I was invited to join someone tomorrow who is a pro! These people are dead serious, it has been advertized in the papers, signs have been posted and everything. They set up this afternoon and have all the tables tarped over!
I on the other hand have just finished tagging my items and have them stacked by the door, I have to get there by 6 to set up, it starts at 7 and goes on till Sunday!

Could be fun, I just mixed 2 quarts of bloody marys to take, not to sell!:D

How much for the dog? :D

Speedy
05-15-2010, 08:48 AM
My mom is having one today. She came over to my house (I live across the street) and banged on my door so I could help her set up some stuff she can't reach. "Get up you worthless Bastard!" I wasn't getting up until she mentioned she had some Krispy Kremes.