PDA

View Full Version : Fractious Friday

linda22003
05-14-2010, 08:45 AM
TOTD: I have a performance review this morning and while I have nothing to fear from it, I find it an artificial, stilted moment in what is otherwise a comfortable working relationship. Do you have regular reviews? Do you get much out of them?

Oh, and the weather. There's some out there. It's murky and will be 90 today, up from yesterday's 60.

FlaGator
05-14-2010, 09:01 AM
TOTD: I have a performance review this morning and while I have nothing to fear from it, I find it an artificial, stilted moment in what is otherwise a comfortable working relationship. Do you have regular reviews? Do you get much out of them?

Oh, and the weather. There's some out there. It's murky and will be 90 today, up from yesterday's 60.

Another warm and sunny day here in Florida.

As a consultant I don't have to do reviews anymore. If I'm not cutting it, they just cancel my contract. When I did do them I found them to be, at best, uncomfortable because I was to define my performance for my boss and see if my assessment agreed with his. I would much more have perferred for him or her to tell me what they thought I was doing right and where I was lacking and then discuss a plan to improve in the lacking area(s).

noonwitch
05-14-2010, 09:25 AM
It's the first nice day in a while. It's sunny and expected to be in the 60s, after a rainy and cold week. It's the first good hair day all week.

TOTD: I hate performance reviews, but they do require the kind of bullshit writing skills that I learned in 11th grade, so at least they make me feel like having an education paid off in some way.

Gingersnap
05-14-2010, 01:34 PM
It's not snowing and it's not freezing. Yay! The ground is too wet to work in, though.

TOTD: Ick. As an employee, I get one annually and as a supervisor I have to give them. Essentially, they are just CYA exercises. If somebody is screwing up, I just tell them and show them what I want in the future. If an employee is lazy, stupid, deceptive, or a drama queen, reviews allow me to construct a fool-proof case for termination in the future.

Reviews are kind of pointless for raises or promotions. Good, ambitious people are easy to spot and they make sure that people who can help them notice their work. They always exceed expectations.

The worst kind of review are the ones for marginal employees. They don't screw up in any spectacular ways, they don't abuse the system, they aren't defiant or snarky enough to write up, and they do just enough work with just high enough quality to stay out of trouble. These are the people who bitterly resent having to work at all and they resent their boss (or any authority) for no real reason. They are the gossip people, the lunch room whiners, and the back-channel rumor mongers. :(

jendf
05-14-2010, 01:36 PM
TOTD: I hate performance reviews, but they do require the kind of bullshit writing skills that I learned in 11th grade, so at least they make me feel like having an education paid off in some way.

Haha! +1

It's quite a chore trying to convince the boss in writing that spending 8 hours surfing the net is productive and needed.

FlaGator
05-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Haha! +1

It's quite a chore trying to convince the boss in writing that spending 8 hours surfing the net is productive and needed.

Describe it as "research".

Gingersnap
05-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Wow. I've already had an interesting day and nobody is even drunk yet (that I know of).

I saw a really expensive accident - I mean saw it happen. Pro tip: pickup trucks are oddly rugged when compared to Boxsters.

A guy in a kilt offered me a glass of scotch. I'm pretty sure it was just a blend, though.

I saw one of the People of Wal-Mart. Since this happened inside a Wal-Mart, I guess it's legal and everything.
:D

Bubba Dawg
05-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Wow. I've already had an interesting day and nobody is even drunk yet (that I know of).

I saw a really expensive accident - I mean saw it happen. Pro tip: pickup trucks are oddly rugged when compared to Boxsters.

A guy in a kilt offered me a glass of scotch. I'm pretty sure it was just a blend, though.

I saw one of the People of Wal-Mart. Since this happened inside a Wal-Mart, I guess it's legal and everything.
:D

Okay, did you accept the scotch from the guy in the Catholic Schoolgirl Uniform or not?:cool:

malloc
05-14-2010, 08:54 PM
It's warm & sunny here in the great state of Arizona.

I have performance reviews at my work, but I'm on really good terms, almost friends with my boss, and my boss's boss. My boss's boss is a former Marine like me so we get along really well.

My performance reviews usually consist of me, my boss, and my boss's boss, all sitting in a conference room sipping coffee, cracking jokes and bullshitting for half an hour, then I get a raise. So, for me, performance reviews are a great thing.

Gingersnap
05-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Okay, did you accept the scotch from the guy in the Catholic Schoolgirl Uniform or not?:cool:

Why? Is this some kind of trap to expose my ignorance of the finer points of scotch? :mad:

Bubba Dawg
05-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Why? Is this some kind of trap to expose my ignorance of the finer points of scotch? :mad:

Lay a trap? :eek:

Who, Me? ;)

RobJohnson
05-15-2010, 06:39 AM
A very nice Friday.

TOTD: Before my last review I was coached on the fact that it's rare to ever obtain "exceedes expectations" on any area of the review and both managers (one with a pretty full background of education) said that they had never reached that level of accomplishment when reviewed by their managers.

I ended up with four "exceedes expecations" out of ten areas.....they made a really big deal about it. I do things you simply can't train people to do. :) I'm very strong in customer service, telephone etiqute, community outreach, conflict resolution, etc, etc. I work for a very large company that is always in the top 50 of the Fortune 500. It's a name you have all heard of and we might even been in your neighborhood.

Next month brings a 8% raise.