PDA

View Full Version : Every Restaurant Set To Become Taco Bell.

Gingersnap
05-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Taco Bell's new $2 Meal Deals set new standard for fast food

Updated 8h 35m ago |

Taco Bell's new $2 combo meals include a taco or burrito, a medium soft drink and a bag of Doritos.

By Bruce Horovitz, USA TODAY

Fast food's value-menu war hits a new low today: the $2 combo meal. Taco Bell will announce plans to roll out $2 Meal Deals that include a taco or burrito, a medium soft drink and a bag of Doritos. It is the only national chain selling an entree, side dish and drink for $2 a penny more than an iTunes video download.

"This is certainly thinking outside the bun," says Bob Sandelman, CEO of the restaurant research firm Sandelman & Associates. "I'm sure McDonald's will be watching with interest."

The restaurant industry has struggled throughout the recession and recovery to respond to consumer demands for cheap eats. Pizza Hut is selling $10 any-size pizzas. T.G.I. Friday's briefly offered $5 sandwiches last year. Denny's recently rolled out $4 all-you-can eat pancakes.

Taco Bell's $2 combo meals lower the bar for McDonald's Dollar Menu, where three items cost $3.

"If we just tossed a pebble into the pond, the ripple wouldn't find its way to shore," explains Greg Creed, president of Taco Bell. "We're throwing a boulder into the pond. This will be a disrupter in the marketplace."

Shades of 'Demolition Man'! The fast food wars, they have begun. :eek:

USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2010-05-14-tacobell14_ST_N.htm)

fettpett
05-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Shades of 'Demolition Man'! The fast food wars, they have begun. :eek:

USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2010-05-14-tacobell14_ST_N.htm)

um.....the biggest place they are taking a profit hit and where they can afford it the most is the drink. it cost like .20 for most drinks (cup, water, carbonation, syrup) honestly don't know why they haven't done this before.

Gingersnap
05-14-2010, 07:32 PM
um.....the biggest place they are taking a profit hit and where they can afford it the most is the drink. it cost like .20 for most drinks (cup, water, carbonation, syrup) honestly don't know why they haven't done this before.

I might be a little more interested in fast food if they had a "value meal" that didn't have a drink. The last time I looked, it was more expensive to order the sandwich (or whatever) and a small side than to get the "meal" with a bigger side and a drink. I don't drink soda and I don't need tea or water with a meal all the time. I don't want the big fries.

djones520
05-14-2010, 07:59 PM

Not even that much. They make there money on the drinks. The food is just there to get people to buy the drinks.

noonwitch
05-17-2010, 10:18 AM
I eat at Taco Bell on a regular basis, because they are the least unhealthy alternative available. You can get a decent amount of food for under $5 there.

I just wish they'd go back to putting onions on their food again. They never started up again after that scare.

FlaGator
05-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Great... now there will be no end to harping of the anti fast food crowd.

It's all about the children... the fat children.

linda22003
05-17-2010, 10:43 AM
None of this affects my life at all.

NJCardFan
05-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Great... now there will be no end to harping of the anti fast food crowd.

It's all about the children... the fat children.

That's because we all know that the children jump into their cars, hot the ATM along the way, and drive through the nearest McD's or wherever.

FlaGator
05-17-2010, 11:03 AM
That's because we all know that the children jump into their cars, hot the ATM along the way, and drive through the nearest McD's or wherever.

You must live in my neighborhood :D

fettpett
05-17-2010, 11:17 AM
I might be a little more interested in fast food if they had a "value meal" that didn't have a drink. The last time I looked, it was more expensive to order the sandwich (or whatever) and a small side than to get the "meal" with a bigger side and a drink. I don't drink soda and I don't need tea or water with a meal all the time. I don't want the big fries.

it's more expensive because of the side, not the drink. there is a reason why McD's has all drinks for a $1 because it doesn't hurt their profit margin, and in fact increases it because more people are buying them.

noonwitch
05-17-2010, 01:16 PM
it's more expensive because of the side, not the drink. there is a reason why McD's has all drinks for a $1 because it doesn't hurt their profit margin, and in fact increases it because more people are buying them.

When I worked at a convenience store, we were allowed to drink all the coffee or pop that we wanted, provided we brought our own cup to use. They counted inventory by the number of cups used, because the price for a cup of pop was so low it was insignificant.

That's why when you ask for a cup of water at McDonald's, they give you a "courtesy cup" instead of the same cups they sell their drinks in. They don't inventory those cups.