PDA

View Full Version : What is masculinity and femininity?

CaughtintheMiddle1990
05-15-2010, 05:54 AM
In this age we live in where these roles, the male and female, are increasingly blurred, I want to ask you guys--
What is masculinity and femininity? Not merely on physical characteristics, but also mental, emotional, etc? How would one define a ''manly man'' vs. ''feminine man'' and a ''masculine woman'' vs. a ''feminine woman''?
What physical characters?
Cultural--as in clothe dress?
What's your view on gender identities?

Oh and before NJCardfan et al jump in and say "HW assignment" I am currently taking Constitutional Law and we have been mainly discussing the roles of the branches in government, famous court cases and the separation of powers, this not a paper either as our paper is on a major political fight and I have chosen illegal immigration. So yeah.

Sonnabend
05-15-2010, 07:23 AM
and I have chosen illegal immigration

No two guesses which side you chose. :rolleyes:

CaughtintheMiddle1990
05-15-2010, 08:11 AM

Secure borders including fence, mines, etc. Vast increase of number and span of troops around the border. Imprisonment or deportation of current illegals, and they get ''back of the line'' status when it comes to eventual legal immigration. I'm not sure what do with the whole ''anchor baby'' situation which is why I can't decide whether they should be imprisoned or deported. However I do think greater defense spending should be allocated to secure the borders to ensure that no more illegals get in, and I would seize the assets/wealth of companies who have profited off the employment of illegal immigrants if it can be proven said companies knew they were employing illegals--Using the same logic as we give to criminals whose wealth is acquired via their illegal dealings.

Sonnabend
05-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Okay.

I agree with you.

The end times are here :eek:

:D

Speedy
05-15-2010, 08:42 AM
The only definition you really need.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/speed_addiction/2010-05-15_073929.jpg

FlaGator
05-15-2010, 09:45 AM

I don't care who are, now that there is funny.

Articulate_Ape
05-15-2010, 02:13 PM
The matter of masculinity and femininity is only blurred for the mentally infirm.

MrsSmith
05-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Aside from the physical differences...which something like 99% of the people totally understand...there are significant emotional differences between the sexes. If you are truly interested in this subject, there are probably thousands of books that would explain far more fully than a thread online. A good place to start would be a how-to-repair-your-marriage manual. Just make sure it's one that explains the most basic difference...men require respect while women require love...and everything else should be there. Don't fall for one of those "we're all the same" enlightened and modern books. Believe me, if you've never raised kids, those little "blank slates" have very distinct personalities...even long before birth...and boys do NOT act like girls, or vice versa.

ColonialMarine0431
05-15-2010, 04:49 PM
What is masculinity and femininity?

If you have to ask then your brain has become mush because of the public educational system and liberal college curriculum.

Sheesh.

Wei Wu Wei
05-15-2010, 05:15 PM
The Question is Female
The Answer is Male

The Political/Religious Act is Female

True Atheism, as well as a True act of Faith, are both Female

Wei Wu Wei
05-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Gender is a social construction, a category that is real only symbolically, and changes from generation to generation. There is nothing "real" about gender, and any definitions fall short.

Wei Wu Wei
05-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Gender is as "real" as cliques are in high school. The only difference is people take the former more seriously than the latter.

Wei Wu Wei
05-15-2010, 05:19 PM

Sex does not equal gender. Physical sex means you have XX or XY chromosomes and the associated sex organs.

Gender is different, although related.

BadCat
05-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Gender is a social construction, a category that is real only symbolically, and changes from generation to generation. There is nothing "real" about gender, and any definitions fall short.

That explains a lot about you.

Speedy
05-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Sex does not equal gender. Physical sex means you have XX or XY chromosomes and the associated sex organs.

Gender is different, although related.

In case you don't know, there are norms of behavior expected from those that have a penis and those that don't. Acting like you have a penis does not get you membership into the Twigs and Berries Club no matter what your "feelings" are about your "Identity." Where I live, going into a women's bathroom because you "feel" that is your place even though you are male gets you a beating and a ride to the county line courtesy of the local Sheriff.

This America, you can be as big a deviant and weirdo as you want. That is your right. But you do not have a right to make others play along and by demand "transgendered weirdos" use the restroom they identify with, they are making the rest of us play along.

Tolerant is knowing they exist, even if it is weird, and letting them prance around and not vomiting on their shoes. Acceptance is letting them use the same restroom my daughters and grand daughter do. I am sorry, they do not get that regardless of their "feelings." I'll tell you what they do get if my grand daughter ever tells me, "There is a weird man in the restroom." They get dragged out to the nearest curb and get an American History X style beatdown.

ColonialMarine0431
05-15-2010, 05:35 PM
That explains a lot about you.

Methinks WWW just likes to stir the pot. No one could be that far out there.

Wei Wu Wei
05-15-2010, 05:40 PM
In case you don't know, there are norms of behavior expected from those that have a penis and those that don't. Acting like you have a penis does not get you membership into the Twigs and Berries Club no matter what your "feelings" are about your "Identity." Where I live, going into a women's bathroom because you "feel" that is your place even though you are male gets you a beating and a ride to the county line courtesy of the local Sheriff.

Right, social norms, symbolic social structures.

This America, you can be as big a deviant and weirdo as you want. That is your right. But you do not have a right to make others play along and by demand "transgendered weirdos" use the restroom they identify with, they are making the rest of us play along.

Actually if they have gone through the full transgender process I think it would be weirder for the women to have what looks, walks, and talks like a man (but born a woman) walking into their restroom, more than having what looks, walks, and talks like a woman (but born with a penis) walking in there.

No one is an island, we exist in the social sphere, not as individuals. There is no "you" outside of the sociosymbolic order. It's necessary that more than 1 person get afffected by social changes.

Tolerant is knowing they exist, even if it is weird, and letting them prance around and not vomiting on their shoes. Acceptance is letting them use the same restroom my daughters and grand daughter do. I am sorry, they do not get that regardless of their "feelings." I'll tell you what they do get if my grand daughter ever tells me, "There is a weird man in the restroom." They get dragged out to the nearest curb and get an American History X style beatdown.

Alright, so the line for you is restrooms. That's clear.

Speedy
05-15-2010, 05:41 PM

CM, are you a Battlestar Galactica fan? Is that where your username comes from?

Wei Wu Wei
05-15-2010, 05:44 PM

I'm not saying that gender doesn't exist or that there aren't currently held social norms about gender. They are completely real, but only in a symbolic sense. It's like a character in a play, they aren't "real", and the actor is only playing their part, but we still react to them as if they are real people (oh wait except maybe not you guys because men aren't supposed to watch plays).

Gender is real in that we treat it as real in our social relations and actions, but it's not real in the sense that physical sex is real.

I hardly think there's anything radical about that. It's just realizing that you are only who you are insofar as you are playing that role (like an actor).

Rockntractor
05-15-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm not saying that gender doesn't exist or that there aren't currently held social norms about gender. They are completely real, but only in a symbolic sense. It's like a character in a play, they aren't "real", and the actor is only playing their part, but we still react to them as if they are real people (oh wait except maybe not you guys because men aren't supposed to watch plays).

Gender is real in that we treat it as real in our social relations and actions, but it's not real in the sense that physical sex is real.

I hardly think there's anything radical about that. It's just realizing that you are only who you are insofar as you are playing that role (like an actor).

Did you wipe after that?:confused:

ColonialMarine0431
05-15-2010, 05:57 PM
CM, are you a Battlestar Galactica fan? Is that where your username comes from?

Actually, yes. But my name has a History. I lived a long time on a street called Colonial Ct. I'm a Marine, so I combined the two. And when BSG came along and the term Colonial Marine became known that solidified it. :D

lacarnut
05-15-2010, 06:35 PM
The matter of masculinity and femininity is only blurred for the mentally infirm.

Looks like WE Wee has a medical problem.

patriot45
05-15-2010, 06:42 PM

WTF! What language is that? Gibberish!?! You actually feel.... notice I didn't say think, that every generation the catagory of genders, male and female changes? Dipshit liberal unnatural moonbat morons.

Wei Wu Wei
05-15-2010, 06:52 PM
WTF! What language is that? Gibberish!?! You actually feel.... notice I didn't say think, that every generation the catagory of genders, male and female changes? Dipshit liberal unnatural moonbat morons.

I sure do think that. It's not always so fast as generation-to-generation, as some gender concepts take longer to change, but like all concepts, categories, and social constructions, it is fluid and constantly changing.

The physical thing is sex, the organs and chromosomes, the socio-linguistic-symbolic category of gender is not a physical reality and changes along with every other aspect of culture.

Wei Wu Wei
05-15-2010, 06:54 PM
And, to be fair, physical reality changes just as much, nothing is permanent. However, for physical structures to change it takes millions of years, for cultural structures to change it only takes decades.

patriot45
05-15-2010, 06:56 PM
I sure do think that. It's not always so fast as generation-to-generation, as some gender concepts take longer to change, but like all concepts, categories, and social constructions, it is fluid and constantly changing.

The physical thing is sex, the organs and chromosomes, the socio-linguistic-symbolic category of gender is not a physical reality and changes along with every other aspect of culture.

Any one got the moonbat to english dictionary!?! Is this nuance? Diverse thinking? Or lunatic raving?

Speedy
05-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Any one got the moonbat to english dictionary!?! Is this nuance? Diverse thinking? Or lunatic raving?

Stupidity.

Wei Wu Wei
05-15-2010, 07:21 PM

It's an understanding of the socio-symbolic construction of reality, and the way we, as language-based entities, relate to them.

For the love of God read some Semiotics, read the basics of Linguistics, read Lacanian Psychoanalysis, read Marxist or Feminist Theories, read some Slavoj Žižek, Some Jacques Derrida, some Louis Pierre Althusser, read SOMETHING

You don't have to agree with all of it, I don't agree with most of what I read, but if you want to gain some more developed levels understanding it takes education, it takes work.

ColonialMarine0431
05-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Yes WWW. The construct is to the parallelogram as the algorithm is to the third isosceles. The masculine crosses the feminine when the isotope decays at a slower pace then the atom approaches mc squared, but only in the Newtonian paradigm. In the Newtonian paradigm the sum of the square equals the mass cubed, but only when 3.14 is rounded to the 5th times 122. When done so, the masculine ad the feminine merge only in a Particle Accelerator when the isotope decays at a rate of -25478995 of a millisecond than the electron.

Of course the orbital angular momentum of electrons is quantized. Because the electron is charged, it produces an orbital magnetic moment that is proportional to the angular momentum. The net magnetic moment of an atom is equal to the vector sum of orbital and spin magnetic moments of all electrons and the nucleus; ergo, an electron exists in multiple dimensions at once.

MrsSmith
05-15-2010, 10:29 PM
WeeWee, do you have kids? If not, go watch some little kids play...and I mean LITTLE kids, from maybe 6 to 18 months. You will see VERY distinct play structure and attitude differences between boys and girls...and they most certainly haven't already been taught those differences. You turn little bitty kids loose in a room with cars, guns, dolls, blankies and bottles...and you will SEE that "artificial gender construct" fall apart in front of your eyes...cause those little bitty kids are far less gender confused than you are. It takes years to mess up a kid badly enough to confuse his or her gender identity.

patriot45
05-16-2010, 12:34 AM
Yes WWW. The construct is to the parallelogram as the algorithm is to the third isosceles. The masculine crosses the feminine when the isotope decays at a slower pace then the atom approaches mc squared, but only in the Newtonian paradigm. In the Newtonian paradigm the sum of the square equals the mass cubed, but only when 3.14 is rounded to the 5th times 122. When done so, the masculine ad the feminine merge only in a Particle Accelerator when the isotope decays at a rate of -25478995 of a millisecond than the electron.

Of course the orbital angular momentum of electrons is quantized. Because the electron is charged, it produces an orbital magnetic moment that is proportional to the angular momentum. The net magnetic moment of an atom is equal to the vector sum of orbital and spin magnetic moments of all electrons and the nucleus; ergo, an electron exists in multiple dimensions at once.

See! That I understand! You hit all the salient points! :D

Rockntractor
05-16-2010, 12:45 AM
See! That I understand! You hit all the salient points! :D

Finally someone who can explain it in terms a child can understand!

Rockntractor
05-16-2010, 12:52 AM
What is sad is that he actually believes what he is saying and thinks it makes perfect sense. These kids are voting and there are more like him graduating. God help us!

CaughtintheMiddle1990
05-16-2010, 03:27 AM

If you have to ask then your brain has become mush because of the public educational system and liberal college curriculum.

Sheesh.

I'm not asking because I don't know, I'm asking cause I like to hear other's ideas, and in this world we live in today with trannies, gays, lesbians, etc etc it gets blurred when women act mannish and men act feminine and its all endorsed by mainstream culture. I'm old fashioned. I believe in chivalry.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
05-16-2010, 03:29 AM

I know a girl like him, she has the same ideas--literally--about gender, that gender is just a social construct, she's also a very radical feminist and atheist to the point where she hates religion.

Wei Wu Wei
05-16-2010, 05:41 AM
WeeWee, do you have kids? If not, go watch some little kids play...and I mean LITTLE kids, from maybe 6 to 18 months.

Not of my own, but I have several nieces and nephews and have seen them grow up, and even helped with the partial raising of a few.

You will see VERY distinct play structure and attitude differences between boys and girls...and they most certainly haven't already been taught those differences.

You don't need to actively teach or tell kids what role to play, they naturally identify with their own parents and learn a significant amount from culture, television, movies, even children's cartoons reinforce gender roles.

It's simple socialization, they learn it as they learn language.

You turn little bitty kids loose in a room with cars, guns, dolls, blankies and bottles...and you will SEE that "artificial gender construct" fall apart in front of your eyes...cause those little bitty kids are far less gender confused than you are.

Actually I have seen plenty of this, 6 month old and 10 month old children can't even walk, they will go up to any colorful object and play with it. Hell they don't even know that potentially dangerous animals (like spiders or snakes) are to be avoided. Children of that age do not have their gender constructs formed hell they are barely even forming a unified body-ego.

Here, see for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3evxeCEYg0

A kid this age doesn't even know what a "car toy" or "gun toy" is, they are still figuring out how to interact with objects in the world and control their bodies.

It takes years to mess up a kid badly enough to confuse his or her gender identity.

Children naturally become socialized from school, observing their parents, culture, television, the same way they naturally learn to communicate without formal language classes. Language, however, is also a social cultural construction that changes with time.

Wei Wu Wei
05-16-2010, 05:43 AM
I know a girl like him, she has the same ideas--literally--about gender, that gender is just a social construct, she's also a very radical feminist and atheist to the point where she hates religion.

Well, before you group us all together I do not hate religion in fact an uncle of mine is a pastor, I love to study religion and I consider Faith to be one of the most, if not THE most important thing to have in your life.

Wei Wu Wei
05-16-2010, 05:48 AM
What is sad is that he actually believes what he is saying and thinks it makes perfect sense. These kids are voting and there are more like him graduating. God help us!

Actually I don't think it makes perfect sense, I realize there are gaping holes in my symbolic map of reality, and that I can never totally fill them (sort of like your eye's blind spot). That's part of the reason I post here.

Still, it doesn't mean I shouldn't keep learning, even if I will never "figure it all out".

Wei Wu Wei
05-16-2010, 05:50 AM
I'm not asking because I don't know, I'm asking cause I like to hear other's ideas, and in this world we live in today with trannies, gays, lesbians, etc etc it gets blurred when women act mannish and men act feminine and its all endorsed by mainstream culture. I'm old fashioned. I believe in chivalry.

Also, you know there's nothing wrong with being chivalrous, there's nothing wrong with acting out your gender role and acting it out with full passion and enthusiasm. Hell I think you should give the roles you choose to act 100%. However, that doesn't mean you can't also realize that it is only a role.

If you want to be an old fashioned manly-man then by all means do it, if that's how you want to live your life then enjoy doing so, but remember it's just a big act (and don't let that hurt your manly ego ;) )

linda22003
05-16-2010, 07:13 AM
I've read every single post on this thread, and it's all a lot of mumbo jumbo.

If you strike a match toward yourself, you're of the masculine persuasion. If you strike a match away from yourself, you're of the feminine persuasion.

BadCat
05-16-2010, 07:16 AM

He's saying he is a woman trapped in the body of a male rhesus monkey.

FlaGator
05-16-2010, 07:21 AM

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/flagator/barkingmoonbat8fa.gif

MrsSmith
05-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Not of my own, but I have several nieces and nephews and have seen them grow up, and even helped with the partial raising of a few.

You don't need to actively teach or tell kids what role to play, they naturally identify with their own parents and learn a significant amount from culture, television, movies, even children's cartoons reinforce gender roles.

It's simple socialization, they learn it as they learn language.

Actually I have seen plenty of this, 6 month old and 10 month old children can't even walk, they will go up to any colorful object and play with it. Hell they don't even know that potentially dangerous animals (like spiders or snakes) are to be avoided. Children of that age do not have their gender constructs formed hell they are barely even forming a unified body-ego.

Here, see for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3evxeCEYg0

A kid this age doesn't even know what a "car toy" or "gun toy" is, they are still figuring out how to interact with objects in the world and control their bodies.

Children naturally become socialized from school, observing their parents, culture, television, the same way they naturally learn to communicate without formal language classes. Language, however, is also a social cultural construction that changes with time.Even though a little boy may not know what a gun IS, you will see him choose it over a doll from the moment he is able to move around and make those choices. And he will do that whether or not he has socialized with any father figure, or seen one on TV, or anything. Just as girls will choose the doll 95% of the time, the boys will choose the action-item 95% of the time.

They are born with differences...and NO amount of social teaching will ever cause boys and girls to be the same...not at the infant stage, not at 6 months, not at 18 months. If you missed that fact with your nieces and nephews, you didn't spend enough time with them. Just as doctors and psychologists finally come to recognize the things that mothers have known through all time, they will eventually have to give up on their "blank slate" stupidity and admit that even itty bitty kids are already people, with definite personalities, likes, dislikes...and a tendency to act like a boy or a girl.

ColonialMarine0431
05-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Finally someone who can explain it in terms a child can understand!

I iz am edumacated colege graduit. I kan sipher az gooder az Jethro Bodine Klampet. :D

CaughtintheMiddle1990
05-16-2010, 01:41 PM

If you strike a match toward yourself, you're of the masculine persuasion. If you strike a match away from yourself, you're of the feminine persuasion.

What if you don't strike matches either way? :p

Big Guy
05-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Sounds to me that someone (CaughtintheMiddle1990) is trying to figure out if He/She/It is a vaginatarian or partial to the sausage. Don't fret little He/She/It, you will figure it out. :D

linda22003
05-16-2010, 02:07 PM
What if you don't strike matches either way? :p

What would a third way be?

Wei Wu Wei
05-16-2010, 02:25 PM

lol another test I've heard is "look at your fingernails"

palm facing you, fingers curled = man
palm facing away, fingers straightened = woman

Wei Wu Wei
05-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Even though a little boy may not know what a gun IS, you will see him choose it over a doll from the moment he is able to move around and make those choices. And he will do that whether or not he has socialized with any father figure, or seen one on TV, or anything. Just as girls will choose the doll 95% of the time, the boys will choose the action-item 95% of the time.

What are you basing this on? Do you know many 1-2 year olds that haven't seen a TV, don't have any father figure, or has not been socialized?

If they are socialized enough to begin learning language, they are already being socialized.

You do realize there are actual studies on this, child psychologists have looked into this for decades. Children do pick up on gender roles but they don't solidify until they are a bit older.

Still, let's look at your own reasoning here, if a little boy doesn't even know what a gun IS, why would he pick it up as opposed to thing which he DOES recognize (a small person)?

I have a feeling you just made these statistics up....

They are born with differences...and NO amount of social teaching will ever cause boys and girls to be the same...not at the infant stage, not at 6 months, not at 18 months. If you missed that fact with your nieces and nephews, you didn't spend enough time with them. Just as doctors and psychologists finally come to recognize the things that mothers have known through all time, they will eventually have to give up on their "blank slate" stupidity and admit that even itty bitty kids are already people, with definite personalities, likes, dislikes...and a tendency to act like a boy or a girl.

They are born without a sense of self, that sense of self develops slowly over time. This is basic psychology.

Big Guy
05-16-2010, 03:07 PM
What are you basing this on? Do you know many 1-2 year olds that haven't seen a TV, don't have any father figure, or has not been socialized?

If they are socialized enough to begin learning language, they are already being socialized.

You do realize there are actual studies on this, child psychologists have looked into this for decades. Children do pick up on gender roles but they don't solidify until they are a bit older.

Still, let's look at your own reasoning here, if a little boy doesn't even know what a gun IS, why would he pick it up as opposed to thing which he DOES recognize (a small person)?

I have a feeling you just made these statistics up....

They are born without a sense of self, that sense of self develops slowly over time. This is basic psychology.

I know several Psychologists and I would put very little trust is ANY study they may do. I actually saw a psychologist pushing on a door for over two minuets before someone came from the other side of the door and pushed it open.

This guy can quote studies just as you can, he is extremely "Book Smart" just as you appear to be, but couldn't figure out how to open a friggin door.

Wei Wu Wei
05-16-2010, 03:14 PM
I know several Psychologists and I would put very little trust is ANY study they may do. I actually saw a psychologist pushing on a door for over two minuets before someone came from the other side of the door and pushed it open.
This guy can quote studies just as you can, he is extremely "Book Smart" just as you appear to be, but couldn't figure out how to open a friggin door.

I spent a few years working in a psych laboratory during and after my college years. I am very heavily research-oriented. You know it's likely that psychologist was doing an informal experiment.

I personally participated in studies that involved doing something unusual, awkward, or violating a social norm in public.

Or, maybe he just couldn't figure out the door, doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about in his area.

I know an excellent top notch Biologist who cares more about American Idol than who she votes for and knows nothing about politics. I know a brilliant theoretical mathematician (an old roommate of mine actually) who can map out hyperdimensions and theoretical number sets but couldn't cook a friggin steak.

Still, when it comes to Biology I trust my Biologist friend with what she says and with the research she presents me. When it comes to Math I trust my former roommate.

Same applies for Psychologists.

Big Guy
05-16-2010, 03:16 PM
I spent a few years working in a psych laboratory during and after my college years. I am very heavily research-oriented. You know it's likely that psychologist was doing an informal experiment.

I personally participated in studies that involved doing something unusual, awkward, or violating a social norm in public.

Or, maybe he just couldn't figure out the door, doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about in his area.

I know an excellent top notch Biologist who cares more about American Idol than who she votes for and knows nothing about politics. I know a brilliant theoretical mathematician (an old roommate of mine actually) who can map out hyperdimensions and theoretical number sets but couldn't cook a friggin steak.

Still, when it comes to Biology I trust my Biologist friend with what she says and with the research she presents me. When it comes to Math I trust my former roommate.

Same applies for Psychologists.

I don't trust the opinion of ANYONE who can not figure out how to open a door.

Wei Wu Wei
05-16-2010, 03:30 PM
I don't trust the opinion of ANYONE who can not figure out how to open a door.

So how about Psychologists who aren't that specific one you saw?

Rockntractor
05-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Nutz like U

Big Guy
05-16-2010, 03:48 PM

Sir, Ma'am, It,......You are too book smart to understand my point. Just pull the door. :D

patriot45
05-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Sir, Ma'am, It,......You are too book smart to understand my point. Just pull the door. :D

This is too easy! Weewee, the early days!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/school.jpg

Big Guy
05-16-2010, 04:00 PM
This is too easy! Weewee, the early days!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/school.jpg

My point exactly. :D:D:D