PDA

View Full Version : Seventh Day Adventists and the People Who Love Them

Rockntractor
05-15-2010, 11:46 AM
um...no, Peter's dream wasn't about diet, it was about going to the Gentiles or "unclean" people and giving them the Gospel. If this was the case, along with the Sabbath, Acts would have been full of debate about the topic as it was about whether or not people should be circumcised or not.

Up until this time any gentile that followed Jewish law was clean, in order for God to make the gentiles all clean he had to make their food clean. Would a vessel that contained the unclean be clean, no the contents had to be made clean.

fettpett
05-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Perhaps it has a duel meaning concerning both the dietary laws and declaring the gentiles as clean.

Up until this time any gentile that followed Jewish law was clean, in order for God to make the gentiles all clean he had to make their food clean. Would a vessel that contained the unclean be clean, no the contents had to be made clean.

you could say that but thats not what the vision was about

here's the vision

Acts 10:9-16 NKJ
9 The next day, as they went on their journey and drew near the city, Peter went up on the housetop to pray, about the sixth hour. 10 Then he became very hungry and wanted to eat; but while they made ready, he fell into a trance 11 and saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. 12 In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. 13 And a voice came to him, “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.”
14 But Peter said, “Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean.”
15 And a voice spoke to him again the second time, “What God has cleansed you must not call common.” 16 This was done three times. And the object was taken up into heaven again.

now God had sent an angle prior to this to Cornelius and told him to send 3 men to Peter. After the servants came and got Peter and brought him back, Cornelius falls down and starts worshiping Peter. Too which Peter replies:

And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean. Acts 10:28 KJV

Animals in prophecy represent peoples/nations. Peter understood this and knew that God wasn't referring to diet but to who he was suppose to take the Gospel too.

Rockntractor
05-15-2010, 01:48 PM
you could say that but thats not what the vision was about

here's the vision

now God had sent an angle prior to this to Cornelius and told him to send 3 men to Peter. After the servants came and got Peter and brought him back, Cornelius falls down and starts worshiping Peter. Too which Peter replies:

Animals in prophecy represent peoples/nations. Peter understood this and knew that God wasn't referring to diet but to who he was suppose to take the Gospel too.
The vision has been clear to all christans for 20 centuries until a little group of people came along in the late 19th century waiting on top of a hill in white sheets expecting Jesus to return. Since then they have dropped the idea that they know the precise day of the messiahs return but they believe they are the sole possessors of many other truths. Today to become even more righteous than God expects of them, most have become vegetarians. I used to be one of them I begin attending a little SDA church out by where I live, the church was divided, Vegetarians sat on one side and meat eaters sat on the other. The vegetarians were much holier than the meet eaters. it was the same in the church I grew up in, a thousand miles away!

fettpett
05-15-2010, 02:03 PM
The vision has been clear to all christans for 20 centuries until a little group of people came along in the late 19th century waiting on top of a hill in white sheets expecting Jesus to return. Since then they have dropped the idea that they know the precise day of the messiahs return but they believe they are the sole possessors of many other truths. Today to become even more righteous than God expects of them, most have become vegetarians. I used to be one of them I begin attending a little SDA church out by where I live, the church was divided, Vegetarians sat on one side and meat eaters sat on the other. The vegetarians were much holier than the meet eaters. it was the same in the church I grew up in, a thousand miles away!

I know you have a history with the SDA church, but i've never seen it that way and I grew up in the church too. But I wasn't talking about eating meat or not, just what kind of meat :D

of course Adventists have been at the forefront of medical/dietary research and main stream research is just now starting to come to the same conclusions, even to the point that Disney looked to the Adventist to help build their Hospital in Florida.

oh, btw i do eat meat and always have

Rockntractor
05-15-2010, 03:48 PM
I know you have a history with the SDA church, but i've never seen it that way and I grew up in the church too. But I wasn't talking about eating meat or not, just what kind of meat :D

of course Adventists have been at the forefront of medical/dietary research and main stream research is just now starting to come to the same conclusions, even to the point that Disney looked to the Adventist to help build their Hospital in Florida.

oh, btw i do eat meat and always have

No you weren't talking about eating meat or not, but most adventists get so involved in this that they decide they shouldn't eat meat at all and then they start looking down on the others that do, I know you have seen it if you were raised in the church. As to my history in the church I was a third generation SDA and and went to an SDA church school 8 years.Two of my uncles are extremely rich doctors that helped found Loma Linda, one of them owns part of it. I can look to Catholics and Presbyterians also who have founded hospitals in almost every major city in the US.

fettpett
05-15-2010, 04:51 PM
No you weren't talking about eating meat or not, but most adventists get so involved in this that they decide they shouldn't eat meat at all and then they start looking down on the others that do, I know you have seen it if you were raised in the church. As to my history in the church I was a third generation SDA and and went to an SDA church school 8 years.Two of my uncles are extremely rich doctors that helped found Loma Linda, one of them owns part of it. I can look to Catholics and Presbyterians also who have founded hospitals in almost every major city in the US.

I've probably seen it, just never really paid much attention to their attitude about it or tossed it up there with a lot of the BS legalism that is in the church but that's in all churches. I know other churches have hospitals, my son was born in a Catholic hospital in South Bend. I've got several friends from Wisconsin Academy that graduated from Loma Linda and Andrews, actually my sister is currently a student at Andrews. I like Vegetarianism food too so that part never bothered me.

Rockntractor
05-15-2010, 04:58 PM
I've probably seen it, just never really paid much attention to their attitude about it or tossed it up there with a lot of the BS legalism that is in the church but that's in all churches. I know other churches have hospitals, my son was born in a Catholic hospital in South Bend. I've got several friends from Wisconsin Academy that graduated from Loma Linda and Andrews, actually my sister is currently a student at Andrews. I like Vegetarianism food too so that part never bothered me.

The Adventists have made many contributions to the world. One of the most noteworthy being their missions work and medical care overseas, I would never attempt to diminish that.

fettpett
05-15-2010, 06:30 PM
The Adventists have made many contributions to the world. One of the most noteworthy being their missions work and medical care overseas, I would never attempt to diminish that.

yeah, there was a story that during world war 2, many tribes in New Guniea thought that all White Men were Adventists as that was the only contact they had had with the outside world. They've also done a lot to help in Africa.

Rockntractor
05-15-2010, 07:12 PM
yeah, there was a story that during world war 2, many tribes in New Guniea thought that all White Men were Adventists as that was the only contact they had had with the outside world. They've also done a lot to help in Africa.
Like you said all churches have some legalism, my problem with SDA is that from my experience they have a disproportionate amount. They lean far to the Arminian side of theology. The closest thing I have seen to them in a Sunday observant church would be the Freewill Baptists.

fettpett
05-16-2010, 04:55 PM
funny that our discussion got pulled out...