PDA

View Full Version : Miss Oklahoma Has 'No Regrets'About Her Controversial Arizona Immigration Response

FlaGator
05-18-2010, 10:09 AM
How very Carrie Prejean-eque

Miss Oklahoma Morgan Elizabeth Woolard placed first runner-up behind winner Miss Michigan Rima Fakih in the Miss USA pageant on Sunday night after voicing her support of Arizona’s controversial immigration law, which requires police to verify a person's immigration status if there's "reasonable suspicion" that the person is in the country illegally.

So does she regret her answer?

“I was absolutely ready for the question and truthfully for me, it wasn't tough. I believe if you know who you are and what you believe and why you believe it, then no question can stump you,” Woolard told Pop Tarts. “I was confident in my answer, there was no hesitation, and I just spoke from my heart and I believe what I said was well said and I feel strongly about that and I'm proud of my answer.”

And even though recent polls indicate that the majority of Americans agree with 21-year-old Woolard’s thoughts on the issue, it turns out her response may have cost her the crown.

According to the scores shown during the live telecast, the Oklahoma representative was far ahead of eventual winner Fakih in both the swimsuit and evening gown portions of the competition.

After the swimsuit section, Michigan actually placed lowest of the top 10 (she was given an 8.325 while Oklahoma was at 9.098) and in the proceeding evening gown section Michigan scored 8.845 and Oklahoma 9.188. Those combined scores averaged, Oklahoma stood at 9.143 and Michigan was at the bottom of the top five with 8.585. At that point the front-runner was Miss Colorado, Jessica Hartman, who won in both categories with an average of 9.248 but ended up in fourth position after stumbling while answering Johnny Weir’s question of government regulation and the Internet.

Whole story is here (http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/05/18/exclusive-miss-oklahoma-regrets-controversial-arizona-immigration-response/)

fettpett
05-18-2010, 10:51 AM
good for her for sticking by her stance and not try to appease dipshits in the media

Rebel Yell
05-18-2010, 11:01 AM
She didn't lose because of her answer. She lost because the other girl was a Muslim. The judges wanted to make history.

Why am I even commenting on this? Beauty pageants are no different than a dog show.

NJCardFan
05-18-2010, 11:49 AM
Amazing how this contest has gotten so political. And now they're basing the winner on their political stance. Typical of the liberal mindset though. Politicize everything is their mantra. Think about it. What about life hasn't been politicized by the left?

noonwitch
05-18-2010, 03:07 PM
She didn't lose because of her answer. She lost because the other girl was a Muslim. The judges wanted to make history.

Why am I even commenting on this? Beauty pageants are no different than a dog show.

I don't know why they even bother asking the girls questions. Does anyone who watches the pageants really care what the answers are?

Maybe they should just make pole dancing one of the contests involved. At least it would be more honest that way, and would involve some level of "talent".

linda22003
05-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Does anyone watch these things?!?!

FlaGator
05-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Amazing how this contest has gotten so political. And now they're basing the winner on their political stance. Typical of the liberal mindset though. Politicize everything is their mantra. Think about it. What about life hasn't been politicized by the left?

It's one of those things that really disgusts me about these contests now days. Just ask questions that allow them to talk about world peace or something non-controversial. Let them walking around looking good and leave it at that. But instead, as you pointed out, the libs have to mix politics and controversy in to what should be just a good time for the contestants and the spectators and turn it into a big downer for all concerned.

Sonnabend
05-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Does anyone watch these things?!?!

The swimsuit section :D

djones520
05-18-2010, 07:33 PM
It's one of those things that really disgusts me about these contests now days. Just ask questions that allow them to talk about world peace or something non-controversial. Let them walking around looking good and leave it at that. But instead, as you pointed out, the libs have to mix politics and controversy in to what should be just a good time for the contestants and the spectators and turn it into a big downer for all concerned.

Honestly, I don't know anything about the candidates and I don't doubt the abilities of any of the candidates, but I do have to wonder how much the being an immigrant helped the winner with so much going on in the news about illegal immigration.

Kay
05-18-2010, 11:34 PM
I can remember back in the OLD days, when I was a little girl watching the pagent on
tv, mainly because we only got 3 channels and it was a big event back then. What they
used to do was get down to the 5 finalist, then they would put them all off in a sound
proof booth, and call them up one at a time and ask the same question to each one.
That was much more fair, as they all got the same exact question. And it was never
anything political or controversial.

They have ruined it.
The muslim won it for PC reasons.
I haven't been intersted in nor watched it in years.

Gingersnap
05-18-2010, 11:47 PM
I agree that beauty pageant contestants should answer questions confined to innocuous topics. We don't ask feminist authors about their personal skin care routines.

Prejean got asked about a gay topic by a gay guy; Woolard was asked about a Hispanic topic by a Hispanic. It would be interesting to see a Christian judge ask a Christian about a Christian topic just to mix it up.

Really, these girls/women are focused on beauty, charm, and presentation - not topical issues in the news. You either enjoy the contests on that level or you skip them.

I wish the same idea would catch fire with all celebutard interviews. You act, you sing, you get naked on music clips - great! Don't make me hate you for your ill-thought out opinions on economics.