PDA

View Full Version : How Ya Like Me Now!

nightflight
05-19-2010, 02:39 AM
The Los Angeles City Council voted to boycott the state of Arizona over its new immigration-enforcement law, and now the Arizona Corporation Commission has responded. Gary Pierce, one of the commissioners chosen in state-wide elections to the utility regulation panel, notes that Los Angeles gets about 25% of its power from Arizona producers. If the City of Angels really wants a boycott, Pierce offers his services to help, as he explains in a letter to Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and copied to Hot Air:

Dear Mayor Villaraigosa,

I was dismayed to learn that the Los Angeles City Council voted to boycott Arizona and Arizona-based companies — a vote you strongly supported — to show opposition to SB 1070 (Support our Law Enforcement and Safe Neighborhoods Act).

You explained your support of the boycott as follows: “While we recognize that as neighbors, we share resources and ties with the State of Arizona that may be difficult to sever, our goal is not to hurt the local economy of Los Angeles, but to impact the economy of Arizona. Our intent is to use our dollars — or the withholding of our dollars — to send a message.” (emphasis added)

I received your message; please receive mine. As a state-wide elected member of the Arizona Corporation Commission overseeing Arizona’s electric and water utilities, I too am keenly aware of the “resources and ties” we share with the City of Los Angeles. In fact, approximately twenty-five percent of the electricity consumed in Los Angeles is generated by power plants in Arizona.

If an economic boycott is truly what you desire, I will be happy to encourage Arizona utilities to renegotiate your power agreements so Los Angeles no longer receives any power from Arizona-based generation. I am confident that Arizona’s utilities would be happy to take those electrons off your hands. If, however, you find that the City Council lacks the strength of its convictions to turn off the lights in Los Angeles and boycott Arizona power, please reconsider the wisdom of attempting to harm Arizona’s economy.

People of goodwill can disagree over the merits of SB 1070. A state-wide economic boycott of Arizona is not a message sent in goodwill.

Sincerely,

Commissioner Gary Pierce

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/05/18/az-utility-board-member-responds-to-la-boycott-over-sb1070/comment-page-2/#comments

PoliCon
05-19-2010, 10:15 AM
amusing. :)

Gingersnap
05-19-2010, 11:01 AM
That is good!

It's astonishing that a state would decide to merely enforce existing law and then be attacked for that. If Angelenos are happy with illegal immigration and if they enjoy the consequences of it - that's fine.

States were originally designed to operate as experiments in democracy and governance. If one state enacted laws that were successful, it was assumed that others would follow that model. If one state enacted laws that were disastrous, it was assumed that other states would learn from that failure.

Whatever issues Los Angeles has with illegal immigration, they shouldn't assume that their issues mirror the issues of the Southwest and Four Corners states. They don't.

NJCardFan
05-19-2010, 01:13 PM
I love it and it speaks volumes. If you are going to boycott the state, boycott it 100%. If you don't, then you are a disingenuous hypocrite. If it were me I'd say, "OK" and then switch off the turbines at Hoover Dam. When the Los Angelino's start whining about no power, I'd point to their own elected officials because the power cut off can be attributed to the boycott. They would have no room for argument.

Megaguns91
05-19-2010, 02:57 PM
This is true entertainment. I bet those cockroaches in LA are scittering now to come up with some sort of apologetic excuse.

M21
05-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Too funny how these fools in LA never considered the 2nd and 3rd order effects of their decision.

FlaGator
05-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Too funny how these fools in LA never considered the 2nd and 3rd order effects of their decision.

I suspect that the hits will just keep on coming

Articulate_Ape
05-19-2010, 05:32 PM
What's amusing is that LA, like the rest of the state of CA, has no dollars.

malloc
05-19-2010, 05:38 PM
I was wondering when this was going to come into play. California doesn't produce nearly as much energy as it consumes, and Arizona has been happy to take up the slack and export electricity to CA.

However, no where in the letter does Pierce say he can or will cut off the power to L.A. He just says that L.A. should put their money where their mouth is, and stop accepting our electricity if they really have true convictions.

PoliCon
05-19-2010, 06:35 PM
This is true entertainment. I bet those cockroaches in LA are scittering now to come up with some sort of apologetic excuse.

What for? do you honestly think that the left won't just set a price that Az power companies will be allowed to charge? :rolleyes: You forget how these people think.

Megaguns91
05-19-2010, 06:37 PM
What for? do you honestly think that the left won't just set a price that Az power companies will be allowed to charge? :rolleyes: You forget how these people think.

Must be my recent isolation :(

PoliCon
05-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Must be my recent isolation :(

sokay. Just sit and talk to wee wee a little bit and you'll remember quickly how retarded these people are.

Odysseus
05-19-2010, 06:46 PM

And the AZ power companies will happily hit the "off" switch if they do, or divert the power elsewhere. That's the thing about boycotts, they only work if you can live without the commodity that you're boycotting. An Arizona power plant can cut its output relatively easily and keep it low for a few days, or even weeks, without taking too much of a hit, but California can't live without electricity for that long. Gray Davis was done in by rolling blackouts, remember? You forget, it's not how these people think, because they don't, it's how reality works that matters.v:D

PoliCon
05-19-2010, 06:56 PM
And the AZ power companies will happily hit the "off" switch if they do, or divert the power elsewhere. That's the thing about boycotts, they only work if you can live without the commodity that you're boycotting. An Arizona power plant can cut its output relatively easily and keep it low for a few days, or even weeks, without taking too much of a hit, but California can't live without electricity for that long. Gray Davis was done in by rolling blackouts, remember? You forget, it's not how these people think, because they don't, it's how reality works that matters.v:D

Good point. But lets not forget who the current president is. I don't put it past him to mandate that they provide power to LA - for free even.

malloc
05-19-2010, 06:58 PM

However, Arizona has a contract with California power companies that cannot be violated, if I'm understanding this correctly. Peirce cannot just hit the off switch. Peirce is saying, "Well, L.A. you are supposed to be boycotting Arizona. Why are you still paying us for power?"

He's basically daring L.A. to violate its end of the contract to prove their "principles".

Megaguns91
05-19-2010, 07:10 PM
sokay. Just sit and talk to wee wee a little bit and you'll remember quickly how retarded these people are.

:eek: is it contagious?

PoliCon
05-19-2010, 11:08 PM
:eek: is it contagious?

have you had your shots?

Odysseus
05-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Good point. But lets not forget who the current president is. I don't put it past him to mandate that they provide power to LA - for free even.
Ah, but that would make this a federal issue, which would then beg the question of whether one state in the US (or city) can boycott another, and if so, the implications become astonishing. Forget, federalism, that would put us back in the days of the Article of Confederation, with each state determining its own foreign policy towards the others. Remember that among sovereign nations, an embargo is an act of war, so this is essentially Los Angeles conducting economic warfare against Arizona. No US president could allow that, even Obama. Now, if Obama's intent is to foment civil war and break up the United States, then he'd be on the right track, but that would be the ultimate decentralization of federal power, and that's about 180 degrees from Obama's agenda, which is consolidating power in his own person and party.

However, Arizona has a contract with California power companies that cannot be violated, if I'm understanding this correctly. Peirce cannot just hit the off switch. Peirce is saying, "Well, L.A. you are supposed to be boycotting Arizona. Why are you still paying us for power?"
He's basically daring L.A. to violate its end of the contract to prove their "principles".
Unless a boycott could be construed as a breach of contract. In contract law, anticipatory repudiation, or anticipatory breach, occurs when one party to a contract declares that they will not live up to their side of the contract. When that happens, the other party is excused from their obligations. What Pierce had done is tell California that they need to retract the repudiation before there is a material change in Arizona's position, i.e., damages. If Arizona's economy suffers (and in this case, if the Arizona utility companies' stock prices drop), that would constitute damages from the breach. Arizona could then "hit the off switch" with impugnity.
He's not daring them to void the contract, they've already voided it. He's warning them of the consequences.