PDA

View Full Version : Book Nook Wednesday!

Gingersnap
05-19-2010, 09:39 AM
It's sunny at the moment but the clouds will roll in and rain is in the forecast with high temps in the low 50s. We've been having thunderstorms, minor hail, and tornado watches.

TOTD: I just got the new Preston and Child novel 'Fever Dream' and I started it last night. In this book, we learn much, much more about Pendergast's adored wife Helen and her mysterious death in Africa. :)

So, whatcha readin'?

obx
05-19-2010, 10:02 AM
"The Last Lion, Volume 2, Alone". A really great book about Winston Churchill. It covers the years from 1932-40. I just started it. I read Vol 1 a number of years ago and just found this in a thrift store.
________
O405 (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_O405)

Wei Wu Wei
05-19-2010, 10:09 AM
I need to renew some books, I'm not done reading "Zizek: A (very) Critical Introduction" by Marcus Pound

I just got notification though from the library that a book I had been waiting for just got returned, so I'll probably be starting that today.

New book is"Genealogy of Nihilism" by Conor Cunningham

FlaGator
05-19-2010, 10:21 AM
'Signature in the Cell' by Stephen Meyer and 'The Classic Writings of Nietzsche'

PoliCon
05-19-2010, 10:48 AM
It's sunny at the moment but the clouds will roll in and rain is in the forecast with high temps in the low 50s. We've been having thunderstorms, minor hail, and tornado watches.

TOTD: I just got the new Preston and Child novel 'Fever Dream' and I started it last night. In this book, we learn much, much more about Pendergast's adored wife Helen and her mysterious death in Africa. :)

So, whatcha readin'?

TOTD:

The White Dragon - Anne McCaffrey
The Reformation - Will Durrant
John Adams - David McCollough
The Anti-federalist papers
McCarthy And His Enemies - William F. Buckley, Jr. and Brent Bozell
Liturgy of the Hours

and as soon as I can get a copy - Tongues of Serpents - Naomi Novik

I generally cannot limit myself to one book at a time . . . .

FlaGator
05-19-2010, 10:55 AM
TOTD:

The White Dragon - Anne McCaffrey
The Reformation - Will Durrant
John Adams - David McCollough
The Anti-federalist papers
McCarthy And His Enemies - William F. Buckley, Jr. and Brent Bozell
Liturgy of the Hours

and as soon as I can get a copy - Tongues of Serpents - Naomi Novik

I generally cannot limit myself to one book at a time . . . .

You seem to like to remind everyone of that... ;)

PoliCon
05-19-2010, 11:01 AM
You seem to like to remind everyone of that... ;)

:o

FlaGator
05-19-2010, 11:06 AM
:o

Just razzing you. It's a good thing to be able to read all those books. The most I can mentally keep up with is three at a time. I wish I had the ability to read more than that.

MountainMan
05-19-2010, 11:13 AM
So, whatcha readin'?

After seeing Linda's comments earlier about anal sex, I might just go get a Penthouse.... :p

Rockntractor
05-19-2010, 11:31 AM
After seeing Linda's comments earlier about anal sex, I might just go get a Penthouse.... :p

When numbers farts it doesn't make a sound.

bijou
05-19-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm reading Conjugal Rites by Paul Magrs (http://www.amazon.com/Conjugal-Rites-Paul-Magrs/dp/0755346432/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274283469&sr=1-4). Light hearted horror in the vein of a cozy murder mystery, it's the third in the series and I'd recommend starting at the beginning as the main characters are recurring.

M21
05-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Just finished again;

Reformed Doctrine of Predestination - Boettner

and just starting

The Death of Death in the Death of Christ - Owen

FlaGator
05-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Just finished again;

Reformed Doctrine of Predestination - Boettner

and just starting

The Death of Death in the Death of Christ - Owen

Death of Death is great, but pretty much anything by John Owens is worth a read.

linda22003
05-19-2010, 05:41 PM
I just finished "Lords of Finance: The Bankers Who Broke the World", about the central bankers of Germany, the US, France, and Britain, and how they made the Great Depression worse. Talk about "a story from today's headlines"! It's fascinating. The author is a former investment banker whose first book this is - and he wins the Pulitzer Prize in History right out of the box. It's a great read.

patriot45
05-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Since I don't do deep hard to read crap, I just finished Relentless by Koonts and am now into The Afghan by Forsyth! I still need to go out and get the latest Repairman Jack book! That would be fine summer reading!