PDA

View Full Version : World's Most Depressing Graduation Speech.

FlaGator
05-19-2010, 12:16 PM
From our friend Al Gore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6so4XxkEg0&feature=player_embedded

Gingersnap
05-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Why do we even have graduation speeches? 80% of graduates are completely uninterested in them. At best, they only provide a platform for showboating from politicians or celebutards. Surely the Internet provides enough opportunities for that now.

JB
05-19-2010, 06:09 PM
I will attribute the lack of booing to the student body being asleep.

At the :22 mark I know I was.

noonwitch
05-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Why do we even have graduation speeches? 80% of graduates are completely uninterested in them. At best, they only provide a platform for showboating from politicians or celebutards. Surely the Internet provides enough opportunities for that now.

As I went to a second-rate, party school, NCAA division 2 university, we had the honor of the wife of the governor (Paula Blanchard) speak at our graduation. 3 years later, she was his ex-wife, I was a state employee, and the governor's one-time secretary was now his wife.

The school that Obama is speaking at (Kalamazoo Central High) is located in the same town that my alma mater is. Kalamazoo has a great public school system, and the offer a free college education to all of their graduates-probably at my alma mater. That is probably one of the things that factored into his choice, along with Kalamazoo also being a fairly diverse city, by Michigan standards.

NJCardFan
05-20-2010, 11:29 AM
As I went to a second-rate, party school, NCAA division 2 university, we had the honor of the wife of the governor (Paula Blanchard) speak at our graduation. 3 years later, she was his ex-wife, I was a state employee, and the governor's one-time secretary was now his wife.

The school that Obama is speaking at (Kalamazoo Central High) is located in the same town that my alma mater is. Kalamazoo has a great public school system, and the offer a free college education to all of their graduates-probably at my alma mater. That is probably one of the things that factored into his choice, along with Kalamazoo also being a fairly diverse city, by Michigan standards.
Any outrage by the community about students having to show their immigration status before shaking hands with Obama?http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/05/obama_may_personally_greet_eac.html

Seniors are being asked to provide their birthdates, Social Security numbers and citizen status to the Secret Service so background checks could be performed. Such a check is required for anyone who gets within an arm’s length of the president, students were told at their senior breakfast Friday.

noonwitch
05-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Any outrage by the community about students having to show their immigration status before shaking hands with Obama?http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/05/obama_may_personally_greet_eac.html

Kalamazoo is a ways away-about a 2 hour drive.

I have a friend from the Detroit suburbs who was in her school's marching band. They were selected in 1977 to play at Metro Airport for Pres. Ford's return to Michigan after Carter took office. The Secret Service had to screen all the members of the band. She and her sister were the only ones who didn't have to bring their birth certificates with them, because their dad worked for the USDA and they had already been screened for his job. My friend, being one of two black kids (the other being her sister) in the school, remembers the agent who came to their school, because he called the two of them out in front of the rest, to tell them they didn't have to bring id because "I already know who you are". She felt like it was one more reason for the other kids to pick on her.

That was over 30 years ago, security didn't get looser since then.

Megaguns91
05-20-2010, 03:00 PM
I wonder if I can ask Obummer for his SSN, DOB, birth cert, etc. before I allow him to get an arm's length away from me? :confused:

fettpett
05-20-2010, 06:34 PM
I can't wait for the Obassiah's message on June 10th in Kalamazoo...so glad I don't have class there on that day /end sarcasm

noonwitch
05-21-2010, 08:45 AM
I can't wait for the Obassiah's message on June 10th in Kalamazoo...so glad I don't have class there on that day /end sarcasm

Do you live in the Kalamazoo area? I'm just curious. I loved it when I was at WMU in the 80s. It's changed a lot. I drove through a couple of years ago, and the campus even looks a lot different.

fettpett
05-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Do you live in the Kalamazoo area? I'm just curious. I loved it when I was at WMU in the 80s. It's changed a lot. I drove through a couple of years ago, and the campus even looks a lot different.

yeah, South Haven, but I go to school in Kalamazoo on Wed and Fri for Massage Therapy