PDA

View Full Version : Clinton claims American's diets result of bad economy

Lager
08-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Clinton weighs in on obesity in this article:
http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2008/08/06/news/080708lrclintonfood.txt

His premise is foolish. While it may be true that eating healthy, organic food might cost a little more, the problems with the diets of many Americans isn't a recent phenomenon. Most diets are habits we acquire from being exposed to them while growing up, or a weakness toward foods that provide the ultimate comfort, (salty,crunchy, sweet etc.) Even when the economy was booming according to democrat's standards in his term, the diet of the average American was tilting toward unhealthy. Of course he's just trying to score political points by tying a serious problem to something that can be levied against Bush.

One example I can give is an observation I've made in my area. We have some very good local restaraunts that prepare some excellent food, with flavorful, fresh ingredients. The chains though, blow them away in business, even though many times, the prices are comparable. The slow food movement though is growing and that is a good sign. The best thing you can do for your kids is to expose them early to a variety of fresh foods and limit their exposure to junk. Families aren't making conscious decisions to purchase high calorie foods to stretch their budgets. The growth of the average waistline suggests they were choosing those foods even when economic times were better.