PDA

View Full Version : Terrorists, firemen, or coincidence?

PoliCon
05-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Mayor Says Arson Spree in Flint, Mich., Meant to 'Terrorize' the City
Arson Epidemic Began After City Laid Off Firefighters and Closed 2 Firehouses

27 comments
By RAY SANCHEZ
May 21, 2010

A string of suspicious fires that hit the battered city of Flint, Mich., after more than 20 firefighters were laid off and two firehouses closed were meant to "terrorize the community," the mayor claims.

Since the job cuts in late March, 153 of 202 fires – mostly in vacant buildings – were classified as suspected arson, city officials said. The number of arson fires began to decline after a federal grant enabled the city to rehire some of the firefighters.

"I don't believe in coincidences," Mayor Dayne Walling told ABCNews.com.

A string of 14 suspicious fires erupted the night before the city laid off 23 firefighters and 23 police officers on March 24 in an attempt to close an $8 million budget deficit. Two of Flint's five fire stations were also shut down that night.

"The initial string of fires, more than a dozen in the first 24 hours as those layoffs were going into effect, were clearly motivated by a political agenda to terrorize the community," Walling said.

The mayor won't say who he believes is behind the arson spree, but said he doesn't believe members of Flint's fire department were involved. A handful of arrests have been made in connection with the fires, including gang members and people scavenging abandoned buildings for cooper and metal.

The mayor said he believed the arsonists were not amateurs.

"It is an individual or group of individuals who have a certain level of training, a certain lack of fear of fire," Walling said. "Often multiple fires are set within the same structure… When I say training it means somebody who understands – whether it means from an engineering or architectural or military perspective. Those initial arsons were not someone paid by a gang member."

Walling's insinuation has infuriated the city's firefighters union.

"They make the comment that the fires were suspicious and that it was actually somebody that knew what they were doing and you can read between the lines," said firefighters union president Raul Garcia.

"We don't think comments like that are worth responding to," said Mark Kovach, vice president of the Flint firefighters union, which represents the city's 99 firefighters. In the 1990s, he said, the department had about 180 members.

CONTINUED (http://abcnews.go.com/US/flint-mayor-calls-arson-fires-terror/story?id=10703411)

Rockntractor
05-21-2010, 07:36 PM
What a dork you spelled thighs wrong!

PoliCon
05-21-2010, 07:39 PM
What a dork you spelled thighs wrong!

Piss off Linda#s-wanna-be. :p

Rockntractor
05-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Piss off Linda#s-wanna-be. :p

Union school teacher.:rolleyes:

PoliCon
05-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Union school teacher.:rolleyes:

I don't teach spelling. :p

Rockntractor
05-21-2010, 07:43 PM
You spelled terror wrong, what a dork!:rolleyes:

PoliCon
05-21-2010, 07:51 PM
You spelled terror wrong, what a dork!:rolleyes:

OH SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE POLL. :p

goat humping pig buoy. :p

Rockntractor
05-21-2010, 07:57 PM

I'm enjoying this thread immensely Cletus!:D

PoliCon
05-21-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm enjoying this thread immensely Cletus!:D

You really need another hobby. :p

Gingersnap
05-21-2010, 08:35 PM

Wait - do you have a pic of that buoy? Just for research purposes, of course.

PoliCon
05-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Wait - do you have a pic of that buoy? Just for research purposes, of course.

as if I'd want a pic of him. :rolleyes:

m00
05-22-2010, 08:46 AM
property developers.

NJCardFan
05-22-2010, 08:32 PM
The.....

JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS

PoliCon
05-22-2010, 09:23 PM
property developers.

So the fact that they started and stopped right before fireman got laid off and stopped again right about the same time they got hired back is a convenient coincidence I take it?

m00
05-24-2010, 07:23 AM
So the fact that they started and stopped right before fireman got laid off and stopped again right about the same time they got hired back is a convenient coincidence I take it?

It was a non-serious response, to what I interpreted as a non-serious poll.

noonwitch
05-24-2010, 09:01 AM
In a city like Flint, with lots of abandoned structures, it really only takes one lunatic firebug to do a lot of damage-we had an arsonist loose in Highland Park a couple of years ago who did some serious damage. One disgruntled fireman could be responsible for the arsons.

We had some family friends who had a house fire, that ruined their home and caused them to get a huge insurance payout. They rebuilt their home larger than before, with better appliances, furniture and such then they ever had before. It seemed the fire started in an unused oven that had been left up against the house, something that even my dad, the guy who took out tent catapillers with a flame-thrower, stated was unsafe. The family was "away for the weekend" visiting an elderly relative about 20 miles away, which in the days of cars is hardly an overnight trip.

Guess what our friends' dad did for a living?