PDA

View Full Version : Sun Screen Causes Cancer. Oops.

Gingersnap
05-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Study: Many Sunscreens May Be Accelerating Cancer
Updated: 4 hours 8 minutes ago

Andrew Schneider
Senior Public Health Correspondent

AOL News WASHINGTON (May 24) -- Almost half of the 500 most popular sunscreen products may actually increase the speed at which malignant cells develop and spread skin cancer because they contain vitamin A or its derivatives, according to an evaluation of those products released today.

AOL News also has learned through documents and interviews that the Food and Drug Administration has known of the potential danger for as long as a decade without alerting the public, which the FDA denies.

The study was released with Memorial Day weekend approaching. Store shelves throughout the country are already crammed with tubes, jars, bottles and spray cans of sunscreen.

The white goop, creams and ointments might prevent sunburn. But don't count on them to keep the ultraviolet light from destroying your skin cells and causing tumors and lesions, according to researchers at Environmental Working Group.

In their annual report to consumers on sunscreen, they say that only 39 of the 500 products they examined were considered safe and effective to use.

The report cites these problems with bogus sun protection factor (SPF) numbers:
The use of the hormone-disrupting chemical oxybenzone, which penetrates the skin and enters the bloodstream.
Overstated claims about performance.
The lack of needed regulations and oversight by the Food and Drug Administration.

But the most alarming disclosure in this year's report is the finding that vitamin A and its derivatives, retinol and retinyl palmitate, may speed up the cancer that sunscreen is used to prevent.

Environmental Working Group
A dangerous additive

The industry includes vitamin A in its sunscreen formulations because it is an anti-oxidant that slows skin aging.

But the EWG researchers found the initial findings of an FDA study of vitamin A's photocarcinogenic properties, meaning the possibility that it results in cancerous tumors when used on skin exposed to sunlight.

"In that yearlong study, tumors and lesions developed up to 21 percent faster in lab animals coated in a vitamin A-laced cream than animals treated with a vitamin-free cream," the report said.

The conclusion came from EWG's analysis of initial findings released last fall by the FDA and the National Toxicology Program, the federal government's principle evaluator of substances that raise public health concerns.

EWG's conclusions were subsequently scrutinized by outside toxicologists.

Based on the strength of the findings by FDA's own scientists, many in the public health community say they can't believe nor understand why the agency hasn't already notified the public of the possible danger.

Well, this makes feel better about my usually erratic use of sun screen.

AOL News (http://www.aolnews.com/health/article/study-many-sunscreens-may-be-accelerating-cancer/19488158)

noonwitch
05-24-2010, 02:18 PM
I don't use sunscreen all that often, I try to cover up or avoid the sun. I was planning to use it on Memorial Day, because I'm going to a singles' picnic, and am planning to wear a light-colored, almost sleeveless blouse (and a hat, since I can't really apply sunscreen to my scalp). I guess I'll have to read the label on my Coppertone Waterbabies to make sure I'm okay!

I don't want it to rain, I want to look nice.

FlaGator
05-24-2010, 03:21 PM
There was a story a couple of weeks ago about a woman who developed Rickets by never going outside without wearing a gallon of SPF 2,000,000 because she feared skin cancer. Now she's taking the chance of Rickets and skin cancer. :rolleyes:

lacarnut
05-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Been using sun screen for many years...looks like I will just have to take my chances. You know shit happens.:D

PoliCon
05-24-2010, 07:28 PM
article synopsis -

live in fear . . . LIVE IN FEAR!!!!

NJCardFan
05-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Then this may be true?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rUNyLeKYzM

fettpett
05-24-2010, 10:25 PM
I only use it when i'm at the beach...otherwise I'll let the Sun make my Vitamin D for me

Jumpy
05-24-2010, 10:25 PM
When I head this on the news I KNEW you would post it. I also heard something where pediatricians are saying that if you give your child swimming lessons they are less likely to drown. (accidental drowning being the second leading cause of death in ages 1 or so, on up to age 19) For awhile pediatricians were advising against swimming lessons for toddlers and such.. because of ear infections.

Gingersnap
05-24-2010, 11:49 PM
When I head this on the news I KNEW you would post it. I also heard something where pediatricians are saying that if you give your child swimming lessons they are less likely to drown. (accidental drowning being the second leading cause of death in ages 1 or so, on up to age 19) For awhile pediatricians were advising against swimming lessons for toddlers and such.. because of ear infections.

LOL! I figure by that time, I'll just have a CO2 peel. My BFF had one and she looks amazing.

The recovery was harsh-looking, though. :D

Rockntractor
05-24-2010, 11:54 PM
LOL! I figure by that time, I'll just have a CO2 peel. My BFF had one and she looks amazing.

The recovery was harsh-looking, though. :D

BFF, big fat friend?:confused::eek:

Gingersnap
05-25-2010, 12:02 AM
BFF, big fat friend?:confused::eek:

LOL! She's skinnier than I am. Trust me, you don't want to view her cleavage too closely unless you are an anatomy fan and you don't want to challenge her to a shot or cupcake contest. Just don't go there.