PDA

View Full Version : Obama Blows Off Arlington Tradition On Memorial Day.

Gingersnap
05-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Obama will use Memorial weekend for a trip home to Chicago

By Anne E. Kornblut
With the long Memorial Day weekend on the horizon, President Obama is finally addressing one of the great broken promises of his administration: his early pledge to return home to Chicago every six weeks or so.

In 16 months at the White House, the Obamas have been back home just once - in February of 2009. But they plan to make the trip over Memorial Day weekend, an official said. After arriving on Thursday night, they will visit with friends and participate in private events.

On Monday, Obama will make remarks at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery, south of Chicago - missing the usual tradition of presidents speaking at Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day.

Wa Po (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/05/obama-will-use-memorial-weeken.html?wprss=44)

SaintLouieWoman
05-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Wa Po (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/05/obama-will-use-memorial-weeken.html?wprss=44)

He just reveals again his disdain for the military and tradition. Actually, it would be a greater insult for him to speak at Arlington. It's best he stays away.

He probably is going to Chicago to make more deals with the power brokers there

namvet
05-25-2010, 08:35 PM
what a disgrace. a slap in the face of our vets and their families. instead he sends Biden who can't find his ass with both hands. Osama will rue the day !!!!

In a highly unusual move, President Barack Obama is going to skip the traditional Memorial Day event at Arlington National Cemetery to return home to Chicago for the long holiday weekend.

Obama sees it as addressing one of the great broken promises of his administration: his early pledge to return home to Chicago every six weeks or so, according to The Washington Post.

On Monday, Obama will make remarks at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery and miss the usual tradition of presidents speaking at Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day.

Instead, Vice President Biden and his wife will appear in Obama's place, laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, as well as holding a breakfast for Gold Star families -- families whose loved ones died in military service -- at the White House earlier that day.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/arlington-cemetery-memorial-day/2010/05/25/id/360091

NJCardFan
05-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Well, maybe he got scare the year he saw dead soldiers at a Memorial Day speech.

Kay
05-25-2010, 11:57 PM
He was the first President in 56 years to blow off the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball.
I would expect nothing more from him than to do the same on Memorial Day.

He is cutting his Chicago gangsta weekend in the old 'hood short though,
so he can get back in time to throw a big party in OUR house for Paul McCartney.
Honoring the Englander x-Beatle takes presidence over honoring American heros. :mad:

CueSi
05-26-2010, 02:13 AM
I always would wonder what my mom meant when she would say "You know you're not a boarder here, you're a member of the family!" (imagine this with a Jamaican accent)

Now I know. From the border to this - - it's like he doesn't really live here.

~QC

MrsSmith
05-26-2010, 07:08 AM
He bows and kowtows to foreign leaders, disdains our heroes, stands with Mexico against one of our states, and yet somehow manages to avoid being "the responsible one" in times of crisis and disaster...like the Gulf Coast oil spill. I think it I were ever to run for office, I'd run as a Dim. They can literally do no wrong. :mad:

Kay
05-26-2010, 08:58 AM
And add to my post up there that he also made that trip overseas before he was even
elected and refused to stop by even one military hospital to visit our wounded. He is
a total disgrace to this nation.

namvet
05-26-2010, 09:12 AM
he also said our Constitution is flawed

http://dancingczars.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/toilet-paper-constitution2.jpg

noonwitch
05-26-2010, 11:21 AM
The Abraham Lincoln Cemetery is a military cemetery, where the President is going to speak on Memorial Day.

I don't see how it's a slap in the face of the military, he's just honoring them at a different site than Arlington. Maybe the relatives of the dead buried in the Lincoln Cemetery are happy that their loved ones are being honored by the President this year.

Kay
05-26-2010, 02:04 PM
I understand your thinking Noonwitch, but I just imagine if you polled gold star military
familes, overwhelmingly they would consider this a slap in the face regardless of where
their family member is buried. The Tomb of the Unknown is held sacred by all. For the
President not to be there on Memorial Day is about as low as you can go.

noonwitch
05-27-2010, 08:52 AM
I understand your thinking Noonwitch, but I just imagine if you polled gold star military
familes, overwhelmingly they would consider this a slap in the face regardless of where
their family member is buried. The Tomb of the Unknown is held sacred by all. For the
President not to be there on Memorial Day is about as low as you can go.

I get what you are saying. I'm not really a member of a military family. My dad did his two years, and served in Korea on border patrol right after the war, before he even met my mom, and a couple of other relatives served in various conflicts, like my great uncle who was a Sea Bee in WWII and a cousin who served in Vietnam. But none of my direct relatives or siblings served in my lifetime, so....

I went to Arlington once as a kid, and I clearly remember the Marine guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier pulling his rifle on a little kid who got too close to the line, and yelling at his father. I understand. But I also think that all military cemeteries are special places, and maybe it's good to honor some of the lesser-known heroes occasionally. If he chooses a particularly moving story to speak about regarding a soldier buried in that cemetery, it would still be a very respectful way to honor all who serve.

Jfor
05-27-2010, 09:39 AM
I get what you are saying. I'm not really a member of a military family. My dad did his two years, and served in Korea on border patrol right after the war, before he even met my mom, and a couple of other relatives served in various conflicts, like my great uncle who was a Sea Bee in WWII and a cousin who served in Vietnam. But none of my direct relatives or siblings served in my lifetime, so....

I went to Arlington once as a kid, and I clearly remember the Marine guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier pulling his rifle on a little kid who got too close to the line, and yelling at his father. I understand. But I also think that all military cemeteries are special places, and maybe it's good to honor some of the lesser-known heroes occasionally. If he chooses a particularly moving story to speak about regarding a soldier buried in that cemetery, it would still be a very respectful way to honor all who serve.

Guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is THE highest duty a soldier can perform. Those guys are out there 24/7/365. They take their duty seriously. They are out there when temps drop way below freezing, they are out there in the rain, the heat etc. For most in the military, Arlington is a very special place. For Obama to blow it off, that is unacceptable.

noonwitch
05-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is THE highest duty a soldier can perform. Those guys are out there 24/7/365. They take their duty seriously. They are out there when temps drop way below freezing, they are out there in the rain, the heat etc. For most in the military, Arlington is a very special place. For Obama to blow it off, that is unacceptable.

My dad used to incident as a two-fold lesson for me and my siblings-1. have respect for those who sacrificed their lives so that we can live in a free country and 2. don't f@#% with the Marines.

Apache
05-27-2010, 07:09 PM
The Abraham Lincoln Cemetery is a military cemetery, where the President is going to speak on Memorial Day.

I don't see how it's a slap in the face of the military, he's just honoring them at a different site than Arlington. Maybe the relatives of the dead buried in the Lincoln Cemetery are happy that their loved ones are being honored by the President this year.

It's a slap at the military and the people of this country, like everything else Zero has done in office...

ColonialMarine0431
05-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Actually, I would prefer the Imposter in Chief DIDN'T attend.

Chuck58
05-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Actually, I would prefer the Imposter in Chief DIDN'T attend.

LOL, beat me to it. I was going to post the same thing. In fact, I said that very thing to my wife when we heard he was off to Chicago for Memorial Day. Probably needs to touch base with his leftist Chicago progressive leftist liberal crowd.

namvet
05-28-2010, 03:52 PM
I agree. best he's a no show. an even bigger disgrace if he's there.

KhrushchevsShoe
05-28-2010, 05:44 PM
LOL, beat me to it. I was going to post the same thing. In fact, I said that very thing to my wife when we heard he was off to Chicago for Memorial Day. Probably needs to touch base with his leftist Chicago progressive leftist liberal crowd.

Haha, this narrative is either running out of motivation or creativity. Thanks for the laugh.

lacarnut
05-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Haha, this narrative is either running out of motivation or creativity. Thanks for the laugh.

Probably best that the Amateur-In- Chief does not attend cermonies at Arlington. However, he does need to touch base with his crooked buddies (thugs in and out of jail) and radicals like Rev Wright, Ayres, etc. It has been many months since his last visit to his home town; he could be losing some of his Ghetto creed. Da hood misses him.

Elspeth
05-28-2010, 10:51 PM
He bows and kowtows to foreign leaders, disdains our heroes, stands with Mexico against one of our states, and yet somehow manages to avoid being "the responsible one" in times of crisis and disaster...like the Gulf Coast oil spill. I think it I were ever to run for office, I'd run as a Dim. They can literally do no wrong. :mad:

That's exactly right. He really doesn't act like an American at all. He is guarding BP and allowing them to cover-up the scene of the crime. How a foreign company is able to pollute and destroy a major American body of water and the states it borders is beyond me. In another time and place, this would be grounds for a war. However, Oblahblah is so busy playing whore to the world that he lets us be destroyed.