PDA

View Full Version : Maricopa County Sheriffs Office: Mayor Gordon, You're ignorant! Shut up!

PoliCon
05-26-2010, 07:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNsEaxQFyxM

Sonnabend
05-26-2010, 08:22 AM
I was asked one question about this today. NJC helped me a little and I was asked again, so here it is.

Post the reply for me in public where he can see it.

Please.

True or false: an Aussie or other tourist in Arizona may be stopped , arrested and detained at any time, and they are required to have their passport on them at all times, merely for not having a US accent.

PoliCon
05-26-2010, 10:21 AM
I was asked one question about this today. NJC helped me a little and I was asked again, so here it is.

Please.

True or false: an Aussie or other tourist in Arizona may be stopped , arrested and detained at any time, and they are required to have their passport on them at all times, merely for not having a US accent.

FALSE. If you are detained in conjunction with investigation of another 'crime' you can be asked to produce documentation that demonstrates that you are in the country legally. They are not stopping people - and the law is not written to allow it - just to make people produce their papers. That is completely false.

NJCardFan
05-26-2010, 03:33 PM

Please.

All of this can be answered simply by reading the law. It's available online. The next time someone asks about this law, just guide them to this site:http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

Sonnabend
05-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanking you :D

Chuck58
05-26-2010, 05:02 PM
The Arizona law is actually mild compared to US Immigration law.

The Border Patrol, or Immigration, can stop anyone, any time and check for citizenship or legal residency. No probably cause is needed. Arizona police will need PC in order to check. Naturally the obumble administration isn't mentioning this, and I haven't heard the msm mention that fact either.

Neither have they mentioned that Arizona cops and officers in 24 other states have already been granted permission to enforce all Federal laws. Either they can or they can't. Or is it a case of, just enforce these other laws and forget the illegal aliens?

Speedy
05-26-2010, 05:12 PM

To stop anyone because they have an accent? Would that not involve some conversation? How would an officer even know if the person driving had an accent or not?

And the rules are, a person who is not a citizen HAS to have his papers on him and must present them at anytime. That there has to be some other reason or probable cause to ask them for their papers is a commonly extended courtesy. And if I was a cop of immigration agent I would really feel insulted that I would be seen as a real idiot. Whether to arrest someone as an illegal immigrant is a judgement call. I am Mexican and Mescalero Apache. I would have on me my license, which because of vile and draconianly sadistic rules in my state demand that I comply with such outdated rules. I have no accent, so the officer could not use that to arrest me. In the course of the interrogation I would make references to my being a veteran, where I grew up, where I went to college. It would be really stupid of the LEO to take me in because I had no birth certificate on me.

BadCat
05-26-2010, 05:56 PM
I was watching one of those cop shows the other day. Wasn't "Cops", but a close rip-off.

In (moonbat central) Portland, Oregon, they had arrested a drunk WHITE GUY WITH NO DISCERNIBLE ACCENT and they ASKED HIM IF HE WAS A U.S. CITIZEN.

Seems like this is not something local to Phoenix, AZ.

lacarnut
05-26-2010, 06:56 PM
I was watching one of those cop shows the other day. Wasn't "Cops", but a close rip-off.

In (moonbat central) Portland, Oregon, they had arrested a drunk WHITE GUY WITH NO DISCERNIBLE ACCENT and they ASKED HIM IF HE WAS A U.S. CITIZEN.

Seems like this is not something local to Phoenix, AZ.

That's no big deal in blue states. In border and red states, that would make national news.

BadCat
05-26-2010, 07:26 PM
That's no big deal in blue states. In border and red states, that would make national news.

I think they have a racial hatred towards Canucks.

NJCardFan
05-26-2010, 08:21 PM
To ask for papers based on an accent is absurd. The truth of the matter is, it's not proof of citizenship that is being asked for. It's proof that you're in this country legally. Big difference. This means that if the officer has reasonable suspicion(much different than probable cause), he can ask for proof. This means, as in other countries, as long as you have your passport or green card on you, which you should anyway, you don't have a problem. Go to Europe or Asia or Mexico for that matter. It's the same everywhere but for some reason Hispanics, or more specifically, Mexicans should be immune from producing such documents.

Sonnabend
05-27-2010, 04:40 AM
NJC....you do know of the visa waiver program? That we dont NEED a visa to visit the US?

And the rules are, a person who is not a citizen HAS to have his papers on him and must present them at anytime

Tourists have to keep their passports on them 24/7? Didnt know that......

NJCardFan
05-27-2010, 10:03 AM
NJC....you do know of the visa waiver program? That we dont NEED a visa to visit the US?

Tourists have to keep their passports on them 24/7? Didnt know that......

Don't know about visas. IIRC, visas are limited to extended visits i.e. work visas or student visas. As for passports, it's good practice to carry it on you. What is the law in Australia? I do know that Americans need a visa to visit Australia but it's a simple procedure and it can be done rather easily with no red tape. But who goes out without an ID? When I visited London, my passport didn't leave their pocket. But I'm trying to figure out why the U.S. has to have almost no immigration policy while every other country in the world has policies that are Draconian by comparison.

Sonnabend
05-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Don't know about visas. IIRC, visas are limited to extended visits i.e. work visas or student visas. As for passports, it's good practice to carry it on you.

...you dont have to keep it on you here. Leave it in the hotel for all we care. More of a pain for us to find it if you lose it. :)

What is the law in Australia? I do know that Americans need a visa to visit Australia but it's a simple procedure and it can be done rather easily with no red tape.

You need a tourist visa, and getting one is a simple as it gets.

But who goes out without an ID? When I visited London, my passport didn't leave their pocket. But I'm trying to figure out why the U.S. has to have almost no immigration policy while every other country in the world has policies that are Draconian by comparison.

As far as I am aware, no tourist here has to carry their passport with them 24/7. You CAN carry it with you if you like, if you dont have to use it, you can leave the thing behind or in a safe..but you're not required to.

A tourist going out with some Aussie friends to a movie will be told "leave the passport AND the wallet at home". :D

If the cops need to run an ID check they can, and the passport details are already in the database either way. You'll need it at the airport...after that? Nope.

Here (http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/travel-documents/)

Draconian? Here? Nope. Even the illegals can melt into the crowd easily.

NJCardFan
05-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Well, here you should carry some sort of I.D. If you're going to a club or something, you might get carded. Paying with a credit card, any responsible clerk is going to ask for your ID. In NJ, driving without your license is a serious offense. Not driving while suspended mind you but forgetting your wallet or something.

Apache
05-27-2010, 05:56 PM
I'm glad people in Arizona have had enough, YES!

I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!

I wonder when Zero and the rest of his ilk are going to wise up?

Kay
05-27-2010, 11:43 PM

Sonnabend, I don't know what might happen in Arizona, but I can assure you
if you come here to Texas and throw around a thick Aussie accent, you will not
get arrested. But you will get laid. ;)

NJCardFan
05-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Sonnabend, I don't know what might happen in Arizona, but I can assure you
if you come here to Texas and throw around a thick Aussie accent, you will not
get arrested. But you will get laid. ;)

First for everything I guess.

Was that out loud?

Sonnabend
05-28-2010, 04:32 AM