PDA

View Full Version : The Nine Worst in Restaurant Eats: Center for Science in the Public Interest

Gingersnap
05-26-2010, 04:42 PM
The Nine Worst in Restaurant Eats: Center for Science in the Public Interest
Are Belt-Busting Meals Behind Obesity Epidemic?

(From Page 3 of article:)

The restaurants -- and a few dieticians -- would argue, however, that they are only giving people what they want.

Michael Donohue, spokesperson for the National Restaurant Association, says the CSPI report "paints a distorted picture of restaurants based on a single menu item. Certainly there are indulgent items on menus, but there are more diet-conscious items on menus than ever before, and our customers know it."

Given the poor track record of healthier food options at fast food restaurants, it's not always that these chains aren't trying, notes Dr. Mitchell Roslin, chief of bariatric surgery at Lenox Hill Hospital.

"If McDonald's could find something healthy that people would order, they would have it. You can't just blame restaurants that sell what we order. I'm sure they couldn't care less if they sold salad or burgers, as long as it sells," he says.

But "the truth is people go to these chains expecting 'big food'. Items are on the menu because people like them, pure and simple," says Dr. Keith Thomas Ayoob, associate professor of Pediatrics at Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

The cost of healthy food also becomes an issue when criticizing the popularity of so-called "big food."

"People equate value with how full they are," Roslin says, and the amount of satiety you get from a salad compared to how much it will set you back makes a cheeseburger seem like a more efficient use of your money.

Another consideration when evaluating the dietary cost of rich restaurant food is the way people consume them, dieticians say.

"Prohibition" of certain foods is a misguided approach to the obesity issue, says Dr. Richard Feinman, professor of cell biology at SUNY Downstate Medical Center and the founder of the Nutrition and Metabolism Society.

"'Healthy' is a value judgment," he says. "What's healthy for a football player may not be for a biology professor, but if you have a [big] burger and then at the next meal a salad with tuna, what's wrong with that?"

By attacking a few fatty meals and focusing predominantly on saturated fat and calories, Feinman says the CSPI report is actually doing the public a disservice.

"It's not a single meal, it's a pattern of eating," he says. What's more, he says that nutrition guidelines would better serve the public if they focused more on the role of carbohydrates than on the role of fats and even saturated fat.

What's interesting about this article is that it one of the very few times I have seen the CSPI challenged even mildly in a mainstream news article. For 10 years, at least, this PETA spin-off has created alarming lists of "evil" foods and reporters have just sucked it all up with pretty much zero counter balance.

The doc quoted above has it nailed: no food is "evil" but there are chronic eating patterns that are problematic for most people.

If I go out to eat and order the coconut shrimp, so what? I don't eat out all the time and I don't order the shrimp all the time. It's all about moderation.

ABC (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/cspi-worst-restaurant-food-2010/story?id=10738622&page=3)

NJCardFan
05-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Here's the deal as well. Fast food joints get picked on a lot but you can't pick on one style of restaurant without looking at them all. Have you ever been to a 5 star restaurant? There are menu items at those places that rival a Big Mac in caloric and fat content, if not worse.

Bubba Dawg
05-26-2010, 09:40 PM
I like deep fried cheese. Batter dipped.

I miss Elvis.....:(

sob/

patriot45
05-26-2010, 09:44 PM

sob/

That is a prerequisite at most great places like Applebees and such!! Deep fried cheese and marinara sauce and an ice cold Corona! Thats how you start a meal! :D

Rockntractor
05-26-2010, 09:45 PM

sob/

Anything is good deep fried! Try plantains sometime.

Bubba Dawg
05-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Anything is good deep fried! Try plantains sometime.

Mmmmmmmmm.....plantains.......

Bubba Dawg
05-26-2010, 09:48 PM
That is a prerequisite at most great places like Applebees and such!! Deep fried cheese and marinara sauce and an ice cold Corona! Thats how you start a meal! :D

Well, YEAH....gotta have beer.

Elvis, I'm thinkin' about Elvis.

NJCardFan
05-26-2010, 11:07 PM
You should take in the North Carolina state fair. There you have...

Fried Twinkies
Fried Pickles
Fried candy bars
Fried green tomatoes

Of course by fried I mean deep fried. :D

PoliCon
05-26-2010, 11:19 PM
You should take in the North Carolina state fair. There you have...

Fried Twinkies
Fried Pickles
Fried candy bars
Fried green tomatoes

Of course by fried I mean deep fried. :D

have you had deep fried Oreos??? To die for!

Rockntractor
05-26-2010, 11:24 PM
have you had deep fried Oreos??? To die for!

To die for!:confused: girly mon.:rolleyes:

PoliCon
05-26-2010, 11:49 PM
To die for!:confused: girly mon.:rolleyes:

clearly you have never had one. :rolleyes:

RobJohnson
05-27-2010, 12:27 AM

sob/

http://www.culvers.com/AdminToolFiles/MenuItems/MenuItem268/Cheese_Curds.jpg

noonwitch
05-27-2010, 08:43 AM

Applebee's is great. It's the favorite choice of the teens (that and chinese buffets) on my caseload, when I take them out for lunch, so I know their menu pretty well. They offer some healthy meals there. Their salads are perfect on days when I don't want to eat a lot of heavy food, like in really hot weather.

Olive Garden is the same way-they have plenty of healthy food on their menu, along with all the high-fat items. I assume all restaurants are similar, even the ones I haven't been to, like Red Robin.

I miss Farrells and HOJOs. Nothing healthy on either of their menus!

Gingersnap
05-27-2010, 10:09 AM
[QUOTE=noonwitch;273428]Olive Garden is the same way-they have plenty of healthy food on their menu, along with all the high-fat items. I assume all restaurants are similar, even the ones I haven't been to, like Red Robin.
[QUOTE]

Red Robin has salads of various kinds. They will also swap out any beef burger with a Boca burger on request. They have added a naked burger to menu, also: no cheese, slaw, or relish. You're on your own with their fries, though. Those are some excellent fries. :eek:

NJCardFan
05-27-2010, 11:43 AM
The funny thing is that fast food was never meant to be a staple. It is what it is: something quick to eat on the run. Problem is, people today are either too busy or too lazy to cook and it's easier to hit the drive through or call the pizza guy than it is to prepare a meal. And I'm sorry to say that the Women's Lib movement is much to blame as well for a part of this(sorry Ginger). Because more, if not most, women work, there isn't time to prepare meals. I'm interested in the childhood obesity rate is in homes where the mom is a stay at home mom.

noonwitch
05-27-2010, 12:23 PM
The funny thing is that fast food was never meant to be a staple. It is what it is: something quick to eat on the run. Problem is, people today are either too busy or too lazy to cook and it's easier to hit the drive through or call the pizza guy than it is to prepare a meal. And I'm sorry to say that the Women's Lib movement is much to blame as well for a part of this(sorry Ginger). Because more, if not most, women work, there isn't time to prepare meals. I'm interested in the childhood obesity rate is in homes where the mom is a stay at home mom.

My mom always tried to limit our fast food consumption to McDonald's/BK/Wendys one night a week, and pizza on Saturdays. None of us were fat as kids.

I think the main reason there are more obese kids is that today's kids are not working off the calories they take in, because they don't play as actively as they used to. They get Wiis for Christmas presents instead of new bikes.

Gingersnap
05-27-2010, 12:34 PM
My mom always tried to limit our fast food consumption to McDonald's/BK/Wendys one night a week, and pizza on Saturdays. None of us were fat as kids.

I think the main reason there are more obese kids is that today's kids are not working off the calories they take in, because they don't play as actively as they used to. They get Wiis for Christmas presents instead of new bikes.

That's a big part of it. But CardFan is also right (although maybe for a different reason). It's not that working women (or men) can't serve easy, quick nutritious meals; it's that a two-income household can afford to buy pre-made and fast foods for "convenience" and people tend to overeat these foods.

Back in the home ec days, a family of 5 or 6 with one wage-earner lived on a food budget. There was just so much to spend on food every week. Wives planned for leftovers and shopped sales. Parents simply could not afford to let their kids eat all of the pot roast and none of the peas and they couldn't afford to cater to expensive food preferences.

Now, food is cheap relative to total income. There's no need to instill food frugality into the average family. With two incomes, it can make a kind of twisted sense to let the family shift for itself with packaged meals.

NJCardFan
05-27-2010, 12:45 PM

Actually, Wii's can give you quite a workout. There are workout games for Wii(Biggest Loser for one). Wii Sports Resort makes me sweat. Especially the kendo stick game and ping pong.

noonwitch
05-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Actually, Wii's can give you quite a workout. There are workout games for Wii(Biggest Loser for one). Wii Sports Resort makes me sweat. Especially the kendo stick game and ping pong.

Those are the things they put on Wii to get parents to buy the system for the kids. My sister and her family have a Wii. My sister is the only one who does the workouts regularly, although her 10 year old will occasionally join in. Mostly, the kids play bowling, or games that they have bought for it.

Zafod
05-27-2010, 06:15 PM
http://www.culvers.com/AdminToolFiles/MenuItems/MenuItem268/Cheese_Curds.jpg

curd is made with baby tears. Its that good....

Constitutionally Speaking
05-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Applebee's is great. It's the favorite choice of the teens (that and chinese buffets) on my caseload, when I take them out for lunch, so I know their menu pretty well. They offer some healthy meals there. Their salads are perfect on days when I don't want to eat a lot of heavy food, like in really hot weather.

Olive Garden is the same way-they have plenty of healthy food on their menu, along with all the high-fat items. I assume all restaurants are similar, even the ones I haven't been to, like Red Robin.

I miss Farrells and HOJOs. Nothing healthy on either of their menus!

I remember HOJO's, but never heard of Farrells - is that a local mom and pop or a small chain???

noonwitch
06-01-2010, 09:28 AM
I remember HOJO's, but never heard of Farrells - is that a local mom and pop or a small chain???

Farrells was a chain-we had one in Grand Rapids, and there were a couple in the Detroit area. It was mostly known for ice cream. If you ever saw "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure", they take Napolean to a restaurant like it, with the whole "Ziggy Piggy" thing. Farrells was like that-you could order a sundae that came in a mini-pig's trough, and if you ate the whole thing, they announced to the whole restaurant that you made a pig out of yourself. My brother did this several times as a teenager. They also would make a production out of a big sundae called a "Zoo Sundae" that a group would order, or a big sub sandwich that we would get for a family meal when we went there.

I think there were Farrells' restaurants in other states. They folded in the early 80s. I went away to college and they were gone by my first summer back, replaced by a mall version of A&W. Farrells' had a candy store up front that you had to walk through before you paid your check. In that sense, it was a parent's nightmare.