PDA

View Full Version : An Inventive Thursday Thread

FlaGator
05-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Another fine day here in North Florida. Showers expected this afternoon, just in time to to keep things from getting to hot.

TOTD: What do you think is the single most important invention in the history of humanity? I think that it was the printing press. For the first time ideas could be documented, massed produced and quickly distributed to the world. Ideas that changed the world for both the good and bad could be rapidly and accurately given to the population in mass for mental consumption and action. The printing press was the forerunner of the internet for the exchange of ideas.

noonwitch
05-27-2010, 09:17 AM
It's sunny and hot again, with a chance of storms this afternoon. Tomorrow is supposed to be perfect by Michigan standards, and it's supposed to rain on Monday, when I am planning to go to a singles picnic. I'm off tomorrow, because I'm babysitting for my sister's kids tonight while she goes to see the James Taylor/Carole King reunion concert. I'm both nervous and excited about the picnic, but I'm taking a risk and trying to open myself up to meeting new people. I'll be bringing the best food I can make as a dish to pass-spanakotapita (spinach pie).

TOTD: I'm a book collector, and I would like to agree with you about the printing press, but I have to say modern sanitation and antibiotics are the two things that have given us longer lives and healthier conditions over the past 150 years or so.

aerojarod
05-27-2010, 09:31 AM
The DVR.

And those fake nipple things.

PoliCon
05-27-2010, 09:44 AM
TOTD: There are several inventions that drastically changed the world - the printing press is one - but few changed the world as much as gunpowder. Second place would have to go to the transistor.

PoliCon
05-27-2010, 09:46 AM
And those fake nipple things.how did we ever live without them?? :D

Gingersnap
05-27-2010, 09:58 AM
We'll be in the high 70s/low 80s today with a possibility for afternoon T-storms (pretty usual this time of year). I need to fish or cut bait on this garden project - the fear factor is growing.

TOTD: The Internet. The printing press certainly went a long way to distributing ideas and information and freeing people from the various "gate-keeping" institutions in religion and government but it pales in comparison to the Internet.

If you really need to know how sanitize drinking water or deliver a baby or argue the Problem of Evil - the Internet has your back. Even the most avid book collector (and I'm married to one) can't physically keep up with the amount of text that might be useful. Even better, the Internet can go where ever the people are, no matter what the government thinks. It's a lot easier to hide a mobile device than it is to hide a library. Not to mention how it's increased our ability to conduct research and enhance productivity.

Now, there's a huge downside to the Internet too. Most of the information is either useless for serious people or just wrong. You have to have the critical thinking skills and analytic experience to pick through the errors. You also have to have a certain degree of self-control to keep from being distracted by all the opportunities to participate in vice but it's worth the risk. ;)

RobJohnson
05-27-2010, 11:02 AM
My sister had trouble leaving the DIA via plane yesterday due to tornadoes in the area.

Today is a very nice day & I am headed to Las Vegas. Show tickets in hand and Friday night I am sharing my motel room with a lesbian couple (true story) they are good friends of mine.

TOTD: The roulette wheel. :D

Gingersnap
05-27-2010, 11:08 AM
My sister had trouble leaving the DIA via plane yesterday due to tornadoes in the area.

Today is a very nice day & I am headed to Las Vegas. Show tickets in hand and Friday night I am sharing my motel room with a lesbian couple (true story) they are good friends of mine.

TOTD: The roulette wheel. :D

We did have some warnings on the flat yesterday - it's that time of year. I'd bet that more flights get delayed for T-storms and microbursts than tornados, though.

lacarnut
05-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Sunny and warm in big B.R. A shower would be nice so that I would not have to water my yard and plants.

TOTD: Electricity changed how we live. Every 4 or 5 years, we have a hurricane that knocks out the juice for 4 to 7 days. Only thing that phases me is the 95 + degree humid heat. Makes you appreciate all the conviences we have.

Megaguns91
05-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Guns. :)

noonwitch
05-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Sunny and warm in big B.R. A shower would be nice so that I would not have to water my yard and plants.

TOTD: Electricity changed how we live. Every 4 or 5 years, we have a hurricane that knocks out the juice for 4 to 7 days. Only thing that phases me is the 95 + degree humid heat. Makes you appreciate all the conviences we have.

When we had the east coast blackout about 5 years ago or so, I remember appreciating that I could see so many stars-it was like being up north, where there aren't any street lights. My power was only out for about 24 hours. Also, everyone was suddenly neighborly-the crackhead who used to live next door fired up his grill and grilled anyone's dinner, since we were all going to loose all the meat in our freezers/fridges. Another neighbor gave away all of the popsicles and ice cream treats in her freezer to all the kids who walked by her house.

lacarnut
05-27-2010, 03:51 PM
When we had the east coast blackout about 5 years ago or so, I remember appreciating that I could see so many stars-it was like being up north, where there aren't any street lights. My power was only out for about 24 hours. Also, everyone was suddenly neighborly-the crackhead who used to live next door fired up his grill and grilled anyone's dinner, since we were all going to loose all the meat in our freezers/fridges. Another neighbor gave away all of the popsicles and ice cream treats in her freezer to all the kids who walked by her house.

Hurricane season starts next month but Aug. to Oct. is the prime months for them. When one gets a couple of hundred miles from shore, it's a mad dash to gas up, get cash, hit the grocery store and Home Depot.

I can keep meat cold for 4 days by filling up the freezer with frozen gallon milk cartoons filled with water. The more items in the freezer, the longer they will stay cold once the power goes off. Buying ice and putting it in the freezer just causes a big mess.

It gets so hot here when the power goes off that is unbearable to stay in the house. So everyone is outside, and like you said everyone is being neighborly.

Articulate_Ape
05-27-2010, 03:52 PM
TOTD: The wheel.

Gingersnap
05-27-2010, 04:00 PM
TOTD: The wheel.

You're just saying that because you were there.

FlaGator
05-27-2010, 04:47 PM

I am pretty certain that AA was personally responsible for the hub cap.

Rockntractor
05-27-2010, 06:12 PM
I am pretty certain that AA was personally responsible for the hub cap.

Lug nuts.:rolleyes:

Articulate_Ape
05-27-2010, 06:33 PM

There, hell, I was the guy who invented it. By the way, you're welcome.

Apache
05-27-2010, 06:34 PM
There, hell, I was the guy who invented it. By the way, you're welcome.

How do you get through doorways with a head that big? :p

PoliCon
05-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Guns. :)

The ones attached to your chest or were you referring to the other kind? :D

PoliCon
05-27-2010, 08:47 PM

BURN!! :D

Bubba Dawg
05-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Inflatable Filipino Granny Sex Love Dolls. ;)

Rockntractor
05-27-2010, 08:58 PM
With the double vinyl knees.:o

Kay
05-27-2010, 08:58 PM
I think the single most imporant invention was the micro-chip; being able to
reproduce a whole set of encyclopedias on a chip the size of your finger tip.

Bubba Dawg
05-27-2010, 09:07 PM
With the double vinyl knees.:o

Yepper. And the optional tape player with the Me love you long time spank me good Big Boy Yahoo Yahoo dialogue.

Rockntractor
05-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Yepper. And the optional tape player with the Me love you long time spank me good Big Boy Yahoo Yahoo dialogue.
You gotta love those 8-tracks!:cool:

Bubba Dawg
05-27-2010, 09:12 PM
You gotta love those 8-tracks!:cool:

True Dat. Better than vinyl. for most things.....:o

Gingersnap
05-27-2010, 09:19 PM

I totally forgot the question reading this but I'm certain it's the right answer.

Bubba Dawg
05-27-2010, 09:22 PM
I totally forgot the question reading this but I'm certain it's the right answer.

Thanks. :)

HEY GUYS!!!! I Made HUNNERD!!!!!!!:cool:

Wootage. :D

FlaGator
05-27-2010, 09:28 PM

I think that real Filipino Granny's are cheaper

Bubba Dawg
05-27-2010, 09:29 PM

Well.....yeah. But you can't deflate them and put them in a drawer when you're finished. :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
05-27-2010, 09:30 PM
It's the squeak of the vinyl and the new car smell!

Bubba Dawg
05-27-2010, 09:34 PM
It's the squeak of the vinyl and the new car smell!

Mmmmmmmm.....new car.....sniiiiiiiiiiiffffffff......ahhhhhhhh

Gingersnap
05-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Well.....yeah. But you can't deflate them and put them in a drawer when you're finished. :rolleyes:

In this country.