PDA

View Full Version : Energy bar maker told her product is 'candy,' subject to tax

PoliCon
05-28-2010, 11:36 PM
by JAKE WHITTENBERG / KING 5 News

KING5.com

Posted on May 28, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Updated today at 5:47 PM

BELLINGHAM, Wash - Imagine Mary Goit's surprise. After seven years of manufacturing granola and natural energy bars, the State of Washington tells her she is actually making candy.

"How do all natural ingredients in an energy bar make candy?" says Goit. "I don't get it."

Goit owns "Belly Timber," a manufacturing kitchen at her home in Bellingham. Her company advertises 'all natural gourmet survival bars' and sells them to area grocery stores.

"Our motto is 'Ingredients with Integrity,'" she says.

But she just found out from the Department of Revenue that her product will be included in the new state 'Candy Tax' that will go into effect Tuesday. State and local sales tax, which is not applied to food in Washington, is being levied on candy and gum starting June 1 as one of the taxes to help close an estimated $2.8 billion gap in the state's biennial budget.

The department was ordered to come up with a list of taxable candy before the tax takes effect. But it's harder than you may think to determine what is considered candy and what is not. For example, a 3 Musketeers bar is considered candy and will be subject to the tax. A Kit Kat bar will go tax free.

The determining factor? Those that use grain-based flour aren't candy under the new tax law. Goit uses oats in her bars as opposed to grain.

"This law is way off base," Goit says. "Our product is for athletes and health advocates. We don't make candy."

VIDEO at LINK (http://www.king5.com/news/local/Energy-Bar-maker-wants-Candy-Tax-refined-95138684.html)

Rockntractor
05-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Granola bars give you hairy legs. Just sayin'

PoliCon
05-28-2010, 11:38 PM
of course it couldn't happen to a better type of person in this case . . . .

Rockntractor
05-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Don't ever google hairy legged hippie chick with safe search off! My eyes my eyes!:eek:

PoliCon
05-28-2010, 11:46 PM
Don't ever google hairy legged hippie chick with safe search off! My eyes my eyes!:eek:

ROTFL! GOOD! You deserve it!! :p

Gingersnap
05-28-2010, 11:50 PM
There are two problems here: government is punishing people for food preferences and government is laughably attempting to make the punishment "fit the crime".

Granola, "energy bars", and all that stuff really is candy in the sense that it's made with a lot of sugars but so what? There are probably some obese people who overeat granola but I'll bet there aren't many.

Rockntractor
05-28-2010, 11:55 PM
There are two problems here: government is punishing people for food preferences and government is laughably attempting to make the punishment "fit the crime".

Granola, "energy bars", and all that stuff really is candy in the sense that it's made with a lot of sugars but so what? There are probably some obese people who overeat granola but I'll bet there aren't many.

You do shave your legs don't you?:confused:

AmPat
05-29-2010, 11:58 AM
You do shave your legs don't you?:confused:

Ever been to Europe?:eek: