PDA

View Full Version : I love FL "Pickers"

SarasotaRepub
05-31-2010, 07:56 PM
We just had an example happen of something I've mentioned to SLW many times but she has never seen, not living in FL before.

If you have something that might be of value to someone needing parts or just scrap, put it outside the night before garbarge day and the odds are it will be gone within 2 hours or less...

The previous owners left us an old fridge in the garage and we had no intention of keeping it. SLW called Waste Mgt. and they said they would pick it up Tuesday morning if we put it out by the curb.

I did so tonight and then took Blue for a walk. Before I got back a pickup truck with a guy and gal showed up and they scarfed it in 2 minutes.

Total time curbside---maybe 20 minutes top. :D The neighbors didn't even get a chance to comment.

Rockntractor
05-31-2010, 08:17 PM
Sounds like Oklahoma! I used to get my recliners that way.:D

patriot45
05-31-2010, 09:16 PM
He he, I never go to the dump! Nothing lasts on the curb!

SarasotaRepub
05-31-2010, 09:19 PM
He he, I never go to the dump! Nothing lasts on the curb!

Bingo! :D

Big Guy
05-31-2010, 09:20 PM
My son goes around picking old washers, dryers, stoves, and refrigerators. He takes them in and sells them for scrap.

He can make $200-$300 a week doing this, it helps him pay for school.

PoliCon
05-31-2010, 09:20 PM
shoot - round here - you don't call waste managment for such things. You post them on craigs list.

lacarnut
05-31-2010, 09:22 PM
Same thing happens here. I gutted my house a couple of years ago. Appliances and furniture did not last a day before someone picked them up.

SaintLouieWoman
05-31-2010, 10:10 PM
shoot - round here - you don't call waste managment for such things. You post them on craigs list.

I'm afraid of Craigs list. Saw an article about the family advertising a diamond on Craig's List. The father was killed, teenage son pistol whipped, don't remember about the mom by folks who called after seeing their ad. I don't let strangers into the house, ever.

When I got rid of a bunch of stuff before our move here, I gave a bunch of stuff to the Disabled Vietnam Vets, Goodwill and the Salvation Army. Other things I took to a consignment shop (ended up getting about $1400 from them in that last month) and sold some old furniture from the family to a woman with a small shop. She paid me $450 for the stuff and had a mover pick them up. I took loads of clothes and stuff to a place called ScholarShop, where they send an irrefutable receipt to use for the taxes.

I hate throwing stuff out. Glad that someone got the stuff instead of it being taken to the dump.

In St Louis we'd put stuff outside and it stayed there---no one came along and took it. The only exception was a neighbor who asked if she could buy the outdoor table and four chairs that I had for the Vets. I made $50 on that deal, then gave some old toys to the neighbor kids.

PoliCon
05-31-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm afraid of Craigs list. Saw an article about the family advertising a diamond on Craig's List. The father was killed, teenage son pistol whipped, don't remember about the mom by folks who called after seeing their ad. I don't let strangers into the house, ever.

When I got rid of a bunch of stuff before our move here, I gave a bunch of stuff to the Disabled Vietnam Vets, Goodwill and the Salvation Army. Other things I took to a consignment shop (ended up getting about $1400 from them in that last month) and sold some old furniture from the family to a woman with a small shop. She paid me $450 for the stuff and had a mover pick them up. I took loads of clothes and stuff to a place called ScholarShop, where they send an irrefutable receipt to use for the taxes.

I hate throwing stuff out. Glad that someone got the stuff instead of it being taken to the dump.

In St Louis we'd put stuff outside and it stayed there---no one came along and took it. The only exception was a neighbor who asked if she could buy the outdoor table and four chairs that I had for the Vets. I made $50 on that deal, then gave some old toys to the neighbor kids.

I can relate to that concern. We've never had any trouble with craigslist though. Of course - we don't try and sell big ticket items on there.

As for stuff staying on the curb - wow people in SL must be seriously lazy. :rolleyes:

Gingersnap
05-31-2010, 10:33 PM
We put it next to the road with a sign, "$5.00 or offer". Gone instantly.

Rockntractor
05-31-2010, 10:47 PM
We put it next to the road with a sign, "$5.00 or offer". Gone instantly.
But you're really not supposed to stay with it.:rolleyes:

Gingersnap
05-31-2010, 11:23 PM
But you're really not supposed to stay with it.:rolleyes:

You're going to Hell for that.

noonwitch
06-01-2010, 11:32 AM
We have pickers, in the Detroit suburbs. Not in Detroit so much, though.

When I got a new television a few years ago, I put the old one to the curb. It was gone within an hour and it didn't work at all at that point. I've seen the guys in their pickups on garbage day-some are just looking for scrap metal, some are looking for stuff they can fix and resell, and some are looking for furniture.

RobJohnson
06-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Scrap metal prices have gone up over the years & many find collecting such from around town, removing the non-metals, and recycling it has really paid off.