PDA

View Full Version : Gossiping Latino students get Kaplan U president fired

Elspeth
06-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Not good.

http://chronicle.com/article/President-of-Kaplan-College/65731/?sid=at&utm_source=at&utm_medium=en

May 31, 2010
President of Kaplan College Campus Is Fired Over 'English Only' Dispute
By Katherine Mangan

The president of Kaplan College's campus in Chula Vista, Calif., was fired this month over his handling of an incident in which students were told they could face academic sanctions if they spoke Spanish in class, according to sources involved with the case.

Dennis Manzo had been president since the campus, located just seven miles from the Mexican border, opened in December.

All calls to the campus were referred to Ron Iori, spokesman for the college's for-profit corporate parent, Kaplan Higher Education, in Chicago. He would not confirm that the president had been fired, or provide information on how to reach him, but he said Mr. Manzo is no longer working for Kaplan. "We all agreed that it was best if we parted ways," he said.

Angel Roman, now president of Kaplan's Beaumont, Tex., campus, will take over as president of the Chula Vista campus this week.

Jonathan Cedeño, the student whose complaint triggered the investigation that led to the president's dismissal, said an Anglo woman in his medical-assistant course had been complaining that he and his friends, who started the class after she did, weren't keeping up.

"She had been giving us a hard time and insulted me in front of the class, and we had had enough, so we were talking about her," he said. The conversation took place on May 3 during a break in the class, he said. After the class, "she complained to the president that we were talking about her in Spanish and that she didn't understand what we were saying," Mr. Cedeño said.

He said Patricia Dussett, program director for allied health, came in to two of his classes the following day and told students that campus policy forbade the use of any language other than English in class, even in side conversations. "I told her I didn't think that was fair and that that violated my rights," Mr. Cedeño said. He said Ms. Dussett responded that if he continued speaking in Spanish, his grades could suffer and he could face other academic sanctions, including expulsion.

A Relative's Intervention

Mr. Cedeño e-mailed his aunt, Leticia Maldonado, a college-programs coordinator at the University of California at Santa Cruz. Ms. Maldonado, who has been involved in campus diversity issues, e-mailed Kaplan administrators demanding an immediate conference call with the president and any other officials involved in the incident, she said in an interview on Friday.

Kaplan was sending a troubling message to its multicultural student body, she wrote in the e-mail, and creating doubts about its commitment to provide students "with the tools to become engaged citizens in the diverse communities that California has to offer." She threatened to contact the news media and parents of Chula Vista students, and to seek legal advice if the matter was not resolved.

Within the week, Ms. Maldonado said, administrators and college lawyers had apologized to students and the president had been dismissed.

None of the administrators e-mailed at Kaplan's Chula Vista campus over the weekend responded.

Mr. Iori, the corporate spokesman, said he could not discuss the incident or allow a reporter to talk to other campus officials, but he clarified the college's language policy, which he said had been misstated to students. "Our policy is that instruction is in English but conversations can take place in any language. We don't discipline students for speaking other languages in class."

Ms. Maldonado said she flew from Santa Cruz to San Diego to meet with campus administrators because she was not convinced they were taking the matter seriously enough. She said she believed that Ms. Dussett was following the directions of the president when she addressed her nephew's class.

A Question of Professionalism
Ms. Maldonado said that while the president never said he favored academic sanctions against students who converse in Spanish, he told her that he wanted to make sure that students were held to the highest levels of professionalism and that having a side conversation in Spanish was unprofessional.

"I was outraged that he would make a correlation between being bilingual and being unprofessional," she said.

Ms. Maldonado contacted one of her former instructors at the University of California at San Diego, Patrick Velasquez, who also served as co-chair of the San Diego Chicano/Latino Concilio, a coalition of alumni, faculty and staff members, and students from higher-education institutions in San Diego County. The group wrote a letter to Kaplan officials saying that threatening students who speak Spanish on campus was "unethical, insensitive, and smacks of blatant racism."

Officials at a handful of other border campuses said they did not have English-only policies

The National Association of College and University Attorneys referred calls to James F. Shekleton, general counsel for the South Dakota Board of Regents. He said he would be surprised if other colleges banned the speaking of Spanish on their campuses. "Language can both facilitate and obstruct communication. It's very central to people's dignity and sense of self-worth," he said. "If you start legislating language, you're going to end up with a mess."

Gingersnap
06-01-2010, 01:37 PM
The slacker admits that he and buddies were discussing another student in class, in Spanish.

Of course, it's unprofessional to hold a discussion in front of someone in a language that person doesn't understand. When is this ever okay?

Are Mexicans okay with Swedes conducting insulting discussions in Mexican classrooms? Doubtful.

PoliCon
06-01-2010, 01:39 PM
having a side conversation in a language that others are not privy to during professional time is VERY unprofessional. If it was outside of class - and they were talking about someone in front of others that's just plain rude. BTW - the whiny bitch who complained - screw you. Grow a pair and stand up for yourself. If they're talking about you - confront them. Don't go whining to the teacher. You're not a frigging KID anymore. SHEESH.:rolleyes:

Elspeth
06-01-2010, 01:42 PM
BTW - the whiny bitch who complained - screw you. Grow a pair and stand up for yourself. If they're talking about you - confront them. Don't go whining to the teacher. You're not a frigging KID anymore. SHEESH.:rolleyes:

Sweetheart,

You just KNOW she would have been accused of racism if she did. And if they physically threatened her and she had fought back, guess who would have been kicked out of school.:rolleyes:

In today's political climate, she did the only thing she could do. And I am speaking as someone who has taken on males in my day. But now, I would never take on a protected ethnic or racial class, even if I was 100% in the right.

PoliCon
06-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Sweetheart,

You just KNOW she would have been accused of racism if she did. And if they physically threatened her and she had fought back, guess who would have been kicked out of school.:rolleyes:

In today's political climate, she did the only thing she could do. And I am speaking as someone who has taken on males in my day. But now, I would never take on a protected class, even if I was 100% in the right.

I disagree. I understand where you are coming from - but I wholeheartedly disagree. Getting the teacher involved is a whiny bitch thing to do. Either you stand up for yourself or you ignore it. Truth of the matter is they were only gossiping about her because she already opened her mouth to them. So she's either got to be prepared to see things through to the end or she needs to learn how to shut up and ignore crap like that.

Elspeth
06-02-2010, 12:11 AM
I disagree. I understand where you are coming from - but I wholeheartedly disagree. Getting the teacher involved is a whiny bitch thing to do. Either you stand up for yourself or you ignore it. Truth of the matter is they were only gossiping about her because she already opened her mouth to them. So she's either got to be prepared to see things through to the end or she needs to learn how to shut up and ignore crap like that.

Under ordinary circumstances, you and I are in 100% agreement. But Southern California has jumped the fucking shark. Let me give you another example.

The LA County supervisors decided to boycott Arizona today over that new AZ immigration law which is a copy of Federal law. The vote was 3-2. The final vote was Mark Ridley Thomas, an African American Supervisor. An older African American man from Thomas' district came to plead with him not to condemn Arizona and said we needed a law like Arizona's here in California. You see, this poor man's son had been murdered by a Mexican gang member who was in this country illegally for years. So the old man pleaded with Thomas to vote NOT to boycott Arizona. But another supervisor, Gloria Molina, had brought her home-chicos to shout down this man. One of these prizes of humanity turned to the old African American man and said, "Why don't you go fight the Crips and the Bloods?" and the old man said, "They weren't the one who murdered my son."

Eventually the old African American man whose son was shot and killed was forced out of the room and "los assholes" remained to shout down the meeting.

It's not normal rules anymore out here, Policon. It's just not normal rules.

PoliCon
06-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Under ordinary circumstances, you and I are in 100% agreement. But Southern California has jumped the fucking shark. Let me give you another example.

The LA County supervisors decided to boycott Arizona today over that new AZ immigration law which is a copy of Federal law. The vote was 3-2. The final vote was Mark Ridley Thomas, an African American Supervisor. An older African American man from Thomas' district came to plead with him not to condemn Arizona and said we needed a law like Arizona's here in California. You see, this poor man's son had been murdered by a Mexican gang member who was in this country illegally for years. So the old man pleaded with Thomas to vote NOT to boycott Arizona. But another supervisor, Gloria Molina, had brought her home-chicos to shout down this man. One of these prizes of humanity turned to the old African American man and said, "Why don't you go fight the Crips and the Bloods?" and the old man said, "They weren't the one who murdered my son."

Eventually the old African American man whose son was shot and killed was forced out of the room and "los assholes" remained to shout down the meeting.

It's not normal rules anymore out here, Policon. It's just not normal rules.

Cali has an even stricter law on the books - you all need to demand it be enforced. Until you make more noise than the illegals - the illegals are gonna dominate. I understand your plight. We make regular trips to Poway to visit friends.

NJCardFan
06-02-2010, 11:06 AM
The slacker admits that he and buddies were discussing another student in class, in Spanish.

Of course, it's unprofessional to hold a discussion in front of someone in a language that person doesn't understand. When is this ever okay?

Are Mexicans okay with Swedes conducting insulting discussions in Mexican classrooms? Doubtful.

This just goes to show you how gutless these people are. Of course nothing is funnier than having someone insult you to their friends in Spanish and then responding to them, in Spanish. My Spanish is a limited to say the least but I understand enough to know what they're saying. I might not be able to respond back in Spanish but the looks on their faces is priceless when you let them know you know what they said.