PDA

View Full Version : Gen Y Fulfills Slacker/Whiner Promise.

Gingersnap
06-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Young adults believe in the age of entitlement, claim researchers
The young adults of today want it all but are not prepared to work for it, a new study suggests.

By Richard Alleyne, Science Correspondent
Published: 7:00PM BST 24 May 2010

Those who were born into "Generation Y" have an over-inflated sense of entitlement lack the work ethic to achieve their goals.

They also hate being criticised, it is claimed.

'Researchers believe that the problem stems from being constantly told from birth they are special and as a result now believe it - and will ignore anybody who says otherwise.

But far from making them happy their approach to life leads to higher levels of depression and "chronic diasppointment" as unjustified levels of self-esteem masks the ugly reality.

Academics have concluded the values drummed into their grandparents, such as a strong work ethic and self-sacrifice, have been lost in the relentless quest for self-fulfilment.

"Generation Y" or Gen-Yers refers to those born between the 1980s and 90s who are now in their 20s or approaching their 30s.

They are also known as the "Millennium generation" or the "Boomerang generation" because they keep moving back home with their parents in young adulthood due to financial or commitment issues.

They are marked by dependence on technology, delaying of adulthood, a casual approach to life and placing a higher value on self-fulfilment than previous generations.

Members have long complained they have been unfairly characterised as lazy but the new research appears to prove that the stereotype is actually true.

Professor Paul Harvey, of the University of Hampshire, carried out a series of studies measuring psychological entitlement and narcissism on a group of Gen -Yers and found they scored 25 per cent higher than respondents ages 40 to 60 and 50 per cent higher than those over 61.

In addition, Gen-Yers were twice as likely to rank in the top 20 per cent in their level of entitlement the "highly entitled range" as someone between 40 and 60, and four times more likely than a pensioner.

I'm really glad that I didn't grow up in that environment. I may not "feel" as great about myself every minute of the day but I'm a lot less freaked out and depressed by the normal vagaries of life. :D

Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7760687/Young-adults-believe-in-the-age-of-entitlement-claim-researchers.html)

NJCardFan
06-02-2010, 01:06 PM
It's all a part of the Me Generation. It's all about me. But the Me aspect permeates all walks of life. But if you want a microcosm of what Gen Yers are all about, just watch American Idol.

noonwitch
06-02-2010, 01:13 PM
It's all a part of the Me Generation. It's all about me. But the Me aspect permeates all walks of life. But if you want a microcosm of what Gen Yers are all about, just watch American Idol.

Generations X and Y are the offspring of the boomer/me generation. I'm almost an X, but was born in October of 1964, which makes me a baby boomer by 2 months. My parents were not boomers, but were born in the 30s, before WWII.