PDA

View Full Version : Obama, Proclaiming LGBT Pride Month, Pushes Repeal of Defense of Marriage Act

PoliCon
06-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Wednesday, June 02, 2010
By Jane McGrath

(CNSNews.com) - Citing his commitment to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), President Obama on Friday issued a proclamation declaring June 2010 “Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month.”

The president also emphasized his intention to secure “adoption rights” for same-sex couples and end both employment discrimination against LGBT individuals as well as the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” (DADT) compromise that bars homosexuals from serving openly in the military.

This is the second year that President Obama has declared June LGBT Pride Month, but it is the first time he has used the proclamation to call for repeal of DOMA.

“We see again president Obama trying to walk a tightrope on the marriage issue,” said Peter Sprigg, a senior fellow with Family Research Council. Obama “says we must give committed gay couples the same rights and responsibilities afforded to any married couple and repeal the Defense of Marriage Act, [but] he doesn’t say right out that we should change the definition of marriage,” Sprigg noted.

Although Obama has said he does not favor same-sex marriage, “every policy he supports is designed to undermine the traditional definition of marriage or undermine the uniqueness of marriage as the union between a man and a woman. So I think we just see again the inherent contradiction in President Obama’s position in the same-sex marriage issue,” Sprigg said.

Andrea Lafferty, executive director of the Traditional Values Coalition, told CNSNews.com, “We have a nation that’s facing great unemployment, and economic crisis” as well as the flooding in Nashville and the Gulf oil spill, “and what is the president pushing? Gay transgender stuff and gays in the military, when Americans don’t care about any of this. These are not priorities…. But they’ve been pushed ahead of dealing with the economy, pushed ahead of dealing with the Gulf disaster.”

“It doesn’t come as a surprise to me,” said Lafferty, “because [the president] clearly stated his support for gay marriage, clearly stated his support for gays in the military, for pushing the so-called Employment Non-Discrimination Act and so-called hate crimes. I think a lot of people who voted for him aren’t aware of some of these positions.”

Evan Wolfson, executive director of Freedom to Marry, lauded the president’s proclamation in a statement sent to CNSNews.com: “President Obama is right when he says that 'we must give committed gay couples the same rights and responsibilities' as any couple -- and that includes the freedom to marry.”

According to Wolfson, “Couples who have made a commitment in life should have an equal commitment under the law, with the same rules, same responsibilities, and same respect. In America we believe in treating others as we'd want to be treated. The government should not discriminate when it comes to who can get a marriage license.”

The president’s proclamation states in part, “Much work remains to fulfill our Nation's promise of equal justice under law for LGBT Americans. That is why we must give committed gay couples the same rights and responsibilities afforded to any married couple, and repeal the Defense of Marriage Act.”

When it passed in 1996, DOMA had bipartisan support in both the House and Senate. It passed the House on a vote of 342-67 with 120 Democrats voting for it. In the Senate, DOMA passed 85-14, with 32 Democrat backers.

Obama’s proclamation also says, “We must protect the rights of LGBT families by securing their adoption rights, ending employment discrimination against LGBT Americans, and ensuring Federal employees receive equal benefits… I am also committed to ending "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" so patriotic LGBT Americans can serve openly in our military…”

Regarding adoption rights, Sprigg pointed to “an abundance of social science research that shows that children do best when raised by biological mother and father who are committed to each other in a lifelong marriage.”

Because of this, Sprigg says, “There should be a strong preference, if not an outright requirement, that children be placed with a married mother and father in order to give them that male and female role model, which is so important for their development.”

Both Sprigg and Lafferty said the president’s LGBT agenda will trample states’ rights. Sprigg noted that adoption is a state matter, and that any federal law probably would conflict with the laws of several states.

Likewise, Lafferty noted that the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) “will override the laws of 38 states, telling school districts that they must comply and hire transgender individuals, and it will be illegal to reassign them.”

Last year’s proclamation commemorated the 40th anniversary of the 1969 Stonewall Riots in New York City, which many activists consider the start of the “gay rights” movement. And while last year’s presidential proclamation included similar language regarding adoption rights and ending employment discrimination and DADT, the 2009 proclamation made no mention of DOMA.

President Obama’s 2010 proclamation, issued on the Friday before the long Memorial Day weekend, says, “As we honor the LGBT Americans who have given so much to our Nation, let us remember that if one of us is unable to realize full equality, we all fall short of our founding principles.”

Because it is lower priority on the Democrat Party’s agenda than DADT and ENDA, Sprigg doesn’t believe legislation to repeal DOMA will come up this year.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/66952

noonwitch
06-03-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm not surprised. It's not like he pretended to be a social conservative when he was campaigning.

Rebel Yell
06-03-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm not surprised. It's not like he pretended to be a social conservative when he was campaigning.

But he did keep the queers at arms length.

lacarnut
06-03-2010, 12:33 PM

He will be in bed with them next.

malloc
06-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Proclaiming any month to be a "special" month for some special interest group is retarded, plain and simple.

However, I'm all for him repealing DOMA, and I can think of a few hundred, maybe even a few thousand more Federal laws he can repeal while he's at it. The Federal government had no business passing DOMA in the first place, as this is clearly a state issue under the 10th Amendment, and the regulation of marriage is not authorized in the enumerated powers granted to the Federal Government.

Now if this administration or this retarded congress starts going after California's constitutional amendment, or other state laws that ban gay marriage then we'll have some problems. Many states have been given the authority to regulate marriage by the citizens of that state, and the feds would be wrong to interfere with that.

CueSi
06-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Proclaiming any month to be a "special" month for some special interest group is retarded, plain and simple.

However, I'm all for him repealing DOMA, and I can think of a few hundred, maybe even a few thousand more Federal laws he can repeal while he's at it. The Federal government had no business passing DOMA in the first place, as this is clearly a state issue under the 10th Amendment, and the regulation of marriage is not authorized in the enumerated powers granted to the Federal Government.

Now if this administration or this retarded congress starts going after California's constitutional amendment, or other state laws that ban gay marriage then we'll have some problems. Many states have been given the authority to regulate marriage by the citizens of that state, and the feds would be wrong to interfere with that.

Yes... oh gawd, this - - but I DO feel like Obama is pandering quite nakedly here - -and I know I'm not the only "relevant" person noticing it.

He may not have EVER pretended to be a social conservative, but he feels phony to me on gay issues.

~QC

namvet
06-04-2010, 10:59 AM
wow condom sales will sky rocket

noonwitch
06-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Yes... oh gawd, this - - but I DO feel like Obama is pandering quite nakedly here - -and I know I'm not the only "relevant" person noticing it.

He may not have EVER pretended to be a social conservative, but he feels phony to me on gay issues.

~QC

He's still a straight man. I don't know that many that are totally comfortable around gay men. Even my "more liberal than thou" brother is still not comfortable around gay men. Gay women, no problem.

My brother in law is the only straight guy I know who doesn't feel awkward when he's hanging around gay men. I'm not sure why that is, maybe it's because he works in the hotel business and is just comfortable around all types of people.

CueSi
06-04-2010, 04:13 PM
He's still a straight man. I don't know that many that are totally comfortable around gay men. Even my "more liberal than thou" brother is still not comfortable around gay men. Gay women, no problem.

My brother in law is the only straight guy I know who doesn't feel awkward when he's hanging around gay men. I'm not sure why that is, maybe it's because he works in the hotel business and is just comfortable around all types of people.

I'll definitely think that's possible. Some people just get used to something they're exposed to all the time. Another male friend of mine is like that. . .but I'm not sure I'd call him straight because he once dated a transwoman.

~QC

malloc
06-04-2010, 04:33 PM
I think the amount of uncomfortability a straight man feels around a gay man is directly proportional to how 'flaming' the gay man is. If the gay guy is wearing daisy dukes and behaves like a 'queen', that can be a little overwhelming. Not necessarily unmanageable, but definitely uncomfortable and just plain annoying. The gay guys I know, and hang out with are not like this. They act like normal guys. They drink beer, tell jokes and funny stories, talk about video games and cars, etc. I don't feel uncomfortable around these guys in the slightest.

The HR guy at my work used to be completely flaming gay, but he never made me uncomfortable for some weird reason. I guess he was just good with people, or knew how to make his queenhood more disarming than 'in your face'.

Elspeth
06-04-2010, 05:53 PM

It was more than that. He chose people who deliberately provoked the gay community, like Donnie McClurkin and Rick Warren. The only reason he is going after DADT right now is that November is going to be a very tight race and little Barry needs the gay expendable income for Democrats running for Congress. Women are certainly not happy with Barry for any number of reasons. Teachers (traditionally Democrats) have been getting so screwed over by little Barry's Dept. of Education that they might sit this one out too.

What Barry-Warry does have is the Arizona immigration law and DADT. He probably figures if he can get the gays and the Hispanics out, he doesn't have to worry about the straight white women. He's got the Black vote, even though he has not really served the black community at all and the Congressional Black caucus is not happy.

PoliCon
06-04-2010, 11:54 PM
The only reason he is going after DADT right now is that November is going to be a very tight race and little Barry needs the gay expendable income for Democrats running for Congress.QFT. EXACTLY ON TARGET. :)

CueSi
06-05-2010, 02:11 AM
It was more than that. He chose people who deliberately provoked the gay community, like Donnie McClurkin and Rick Warren. The only reason he is going after DADT right now is that November is going to be a very tight race and little Barry needs the gay expendable income for Democrats running for Congress. Women are certainly not happy with Barry for any number of reasons. Teachers (traditionally Democrats) have been getting so screwed over by little Barry's Dept. of Education that they might sit this one out too.

What Barry-Warry does have is the Arizona immigration law and DADT. He probably figures if he can get the gays and the Hispanics out, he doesn't have to worry about the straight white women. He's got the Black vote, even though he has not really served the black community at all and the Congressional Black caucus is not happy.

OH GAWD YES!!! RIGHT THERE.

Oh, yeah... and you're totally right. :D

~QC

djones520
06-05-2010, 02:25 AM

Actually gay women weird me out. But thats just because I've never met the mythical "hot lesbian". It's always big fat mannish bull dykes that I meet. Something about them just bothers me to my core.

Gay men have never really bothered me. Can't say I have met a lot of them, but the few I've met (even the more flaming ones) didn't bother me at all.

CueSi
06-05-2010, 02:31 AM
Actually gay women weird me out. But thats just because I've never met the mythical "hot lesbian". It's always big fat mannish bull dykes that I meet. Something about them just bothers me to my core.

Gay men have never really bothered me. Can't say I have met a lot of them, but the few I've met (even the more flaming ones) didn't bother me at all.

You probably have, but you never knew it. Or you've met the hot bisexual.

~QC

djones520
06-05-2010, 02:40 AM
You probably have, but you never knew it. Or you've met the hot bisexual.

~QC

Oh I've met my share of hot bi's. But never the true blue Lesbian.

asdf2231
06-05-2010, 11:44 AM

Im completely comfortable around them. Well let me take that back... Im completely comfortable around gay people who are secure in their sexuality and know who they are. The other kind that demand respect for what they do in-between the sheets I'm not comfortable with in the sense that they piss me off and annoy me.

Im absolutely secure with my sexuality. Most homophobic people aren't on levels big and small. Same probably holds true with your BIL.

Wei Wu Wei
06-05-2010, 04:04 PM

Hang out with men who are more comfortable with their sexuality and masculinity.

That's not to say all men who are uncomfortable are super insecure, it could be an exposure thing.

I personally and many men I know are perfectly comfortable around gay people, hell I even stopped and watched the gay pride parade last year for the first time. It wasn't bad or scary or threatening, I saw a bunch of people being happy about being themselves, the police station, the fire department, local businesses and even several churches were in the parade showing their support. They're just people who like a thing that's different from what you like, nothing scary about that.

Then again, I live in Austin, TX, which is one of the most gay friendly cities between the coasts, so again, exposure.

Wei Wu Wei
06-05-2010, 04:07 PM
One of my best friends in college was gay, I was open with him upfront that I was straight and I hadn't had any gay friends before, I was a little weirded out still then and confused about "what they're all about". He was really chill about it all, I asked him lots of questions about it, and he was very open and we ended having tons of fun during college and no he never tried to "convert" me or touch me or come on to me or anything else. He was just like any other male friend I've ever had, except he liked men.

PoliCon
06-05-2010, 05:32 PM
One of my best friends in college was gay, I was open with him upfront that I was straight and I hadn't had any gay friends before, I was a little weirded out still then and confused about "what they're all about". He was really chill about it all, I asked him lots of questions about it, and he was very open and we ended having tons of fun during college and no he never tried to "convert" me or touch me or come on to me or anything else. He was just like any other male friend I've ever had, except he liked men.

http://bebellasbuddy.com/BouncingBall.gif

asdf2231
06-06-2010, 02:32 PM
http://bebellasbuddy.com/BouncingBall.gif

Possibly you should have had bouncing ballS there.

Wei Wu Wei
06-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Teehee giggle giggle gay people loltee heee they are gayyyy lolollol

Jesus you people are like children.

CueSi
06-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Teehee giggle giggle gay people loltee heee they are gayyyy lolollol

Jesus you people are like children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAlVKgl_zCQ

<_<

~QC

Wei Wu Wei
06-06-2010, 03:20 PM
lol

CueSi
06-06-2010, 03:37 PM
lol

That's what I thought when I saw your bragging of how tolerant you are. . . it just makes me want to do one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqMUuOPsa0o

There hasn't been a sizable amount of posters really uncomfortable with gay people in this thread, which made your statement unwarranted.

~QC

Wei Wu Wei
06-06-2010, 03:52 PM
That's what I thought when I saw your bragging of how tolerant you are. . . it just makes me want to do one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqMUuOPsa0o

There hasn't been a sizable amount of posters really uncomfortable with gay people in this thread, which made your statement unwarranted.

~QC

I live in Texas I know how uncomfortable people are about it, seems warranted. Plus there were posters here claiming that they've never met any man comfortable with it or that a comfortable man was such a rare species. I was replying to those comments.

PoliCon
06-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Possibly you should have had bouncing ballS there.

It was hard enough to find ONE that wasn't spasmodic or too fake to which I could hotlink ;)

asdf2231
06-06-2010, 10:13 PM
I live in Texas I know how uncomfortable people are about it, seems warranted. Plus there were posters here claiming that they've never met any man comfortable with it or that a comfortable man was such a rare species. I was replying to those comments.

After making a point about how you live in the redneck San Fransico of shiny happy gay tolerance?

uhhh huh.

asdf2231
06-06-2010, 10:20 PM

~QC

You ever notice that the paragons of tolerance who take everyone to task for being so intolerant really get their rocks off NOT tolerating people they disagree with politically?

It's kind of like watching yappie little dogs be fierce.

Wei Wu Wei
06-07-2010, 04:40 AM
After making a point about how you live in the redneck San Fransico of shiny happy gay tolerance?

uhhh huh.

I lived in small Texas towns all my life until college, and have spent time after in and out of Austin, I know what it's like.

Wei Wu Wei
06-07-2010, 04:46 AM
You ever notice that the paragons of tolerance who take everyone to task for being so intolerant really get their rocks off NOT tolerating people they disagree with politically?

It's kind of like watching yappie little dogs be fierce.

Not to toot my own horn too much but if you check my post history you'll find that I'm one of the more respectful, kind, and tolerant to those whom I disagree with here. Many others on this site are downright nasty, foul, and attempt to hurt those just out of political difference. Still, I'm no saint and I'm willing to be very upfront about that. Sometimes people earn a good "fuck you", but I think those should be used in extreme moderation.

Sonnabend
06-07-2010, 04:53 AM
Not to toot my own horn too much but if you check my post history you'll find that I'm one of the more respectful, kind, and tolerant to those whom I disagree with here.

You're one of the biggest liars this site has ever seen..all you do is cite talking points and memes and when confronted by the truth, jam your fingers in your ears and go "lalala I cant hear you".....every single one of your comments has been debunked and discredited

Example: your claim of "apartheid" in Israel is in DIRECT contravention of facts presented.

Example: your claim of "thousands of Gazan children" dying and NO facts to back it up

Example: your claim of "starvation" COMPLETELY blown out of the water by photos form Gaza of malls and shops full to overflowing with food (and those photos were taken from Palestine Today"

Example: your claim of "aid being denied" is in direct contravention of proof given to you that the aid was shipped by land and then SEIZED by HAMAS, reported on by multiple sources.

You're so full of it I can smell you from here.

PoliCon
06-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Not to toot my own horn too much but if you check my post history you'll find that I'm one of the more respectful, kind, and tolerant to those whom I disagree with here. Many others on this site are downright nasty, foul, and attempt to hurt those just out of political difference. Still, I'm no saint and I'm willing to be very upfront about that. Sometimes people earn a good "fuck you", but I think those should be used in extreme moderation.

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/3/17/rotflmao128502487880000000.jpg

http://trollcats.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/you_are_this_gay_trollcat.jpg

http://trollcats.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/the_tards_come_marching_one_by_one_tra_laa_tra_laa _trollcat.jpg

http://trollcats.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/thanks_for_sharing_asshole_trollcat.jpg

I couldn't choose just one . . .