PDA

View Full Version : Nerves at Newsweek over prospect of purchase by conservative media company Newsmax

Gingersnap
06-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Nerves at Newsweek over prospect of purchase by conservative media company Newsmax

By Alex Pappas - The Daily Caller | Published: 06/04/10 at 3:22 AM | Updated: 06/04/10 at 4:23 AM

Newsweek reporters are nervous, an employee told The Daily Caller, about being owned by the conservative Newsmax media company, which announced Wednesday that it had placed a bid to purchase the money-losing magazine.

Newsweek’s owner, the Washington Post Company, put up the weekly for sale in May, about a year after a major redesign that included targeting an affluent audience with left-leaning thought pieces.

Newsmax Media spokesman Scott Rosenblum confirmed the bid to The Daily Caller, saying in a statement that if the bid is successful, “Newsweek would continue in its mission to objectively report the news and provide analysis from a wide spectrum of perspectives.”

But a cursory search of past Newsmax headlines show the conservative site hasn’t always thought of Newsweek positively — or as an objective outlet:

Newsweek Hides Real Global Warming Agenda
Was Newsweek’s Use of Palin Photo Legal?
Broder: Newsweek Owes Rove Apology
Newsweek Apologizes; Afghans Want Action
Ann Coulter: ‘Newsweek Push Polling for Al-Qaida’

Questions remain if Newsmax successfully buys the magazine: Will Newsweek revert back to its old format of less opinion and more reporting? Will it keep Jon Meacham as editor? Does it think it can make the magazine profitable? Will it axe the liberal commentaries?

“At this point, things are a little bit busy,” said Rosenblum, when The Daily Caller requested an interview with Newsmax founder Chris Ruddy, who also did not return a request for comment on his cell phone.

Meacham, and others at Newsweek contacted by The Daily Caller either declined comment or did not respond to requests to do so. But the staff source who said that there is nervousness among reporters said employees feel that way about bids being placed by other companies, too.

As for whether the liberal contributors would stick around, the founder of the liberal DailyKos blog said he wouldn’t have a problem doing so. “If they wanted to pay me to write something, then sure. I’d take wingnut money to tell them how wrong they are,” said Markos Moulitsas, who writes frequently for Newsweek.

LOL! I don't know if this bid is really serious but it sure is funny. :D

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/06/04/nerves-at-newsweek-over-prospect-of-purchase-by-conservative-media-company-newsmax/#ixzz0ptknZstN

Sonnabend
06-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Let's not forget Newsweek's LIE about the Koran "incident".:rolleyes:

And "global cooling" :rolleyes:

Gingersnap
06-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Let's not forget Newsweek's LIE about the Koran "incident".:rolleyes:

And "global cooling" :rolleyes:

Okay but let's focus on the potential amusement value of having a conservative organization purchase a formerly well regarded periodical that has tanked since it's reinvention as a liberal opinion journal. ;)

lacarnut
06-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Rather than a conservative media company buy it, I would rather see this liberal rag die a slow death and go out of existence.

FlaGator
06-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Rather than a conservative media company buy it, I would rather see this liberal rag die a slow death and go out of existence.

I believe that it can be healed by a laying on of conservative hands... ;)
and a laying off of liberal reporters.

jediab
06-04-2010, 01:25 PM

Actually, I think it would be great to turn it into a published copy of DU inspired articles. Kind of like the Onion meets $kinner.

lacarnut
06-04-2010, 02:18 PM
I believe that it can be healed by a laying on of conservative hands... ;)
and a laying off of liberal reporters.

It is risky from a business standpoint. I let my magazine subsc. expire and wind up getting a better price. The print business is in bad shape. Ask Sam Zell. Now, if a conservative purchased one of the three major TV networks, I would be jumping for joy.

fettpett
06-04-2010, 07:42 PM
be interesting if they fire all the libtards and hire conservatives and see it's sales go through the roof and destroy Time. :D

Rockntractor
06-04-2010, 07:51 PM
be interesting if they fire all the libtards and hire conservatives and see it's sales go through the roof and destroy Time. :D
They need to keep a couple libs around to kick during lunch hour, it's good for moral!

warpig
06-04-2010, 07:53 PM
They need to keep a couple libs around to kick during lunch hour, it's good for moral!

:D

fettpett
06-04-2010, 07:56 PM

yeah...they could be their mascots!

Gingersnap
06-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Everybody knows that Newsweek is tanking big time. Partly it's their new editorial policy but mostly it's just that no one wants to buy print when we all have wifi.

I think the offer was a stunt but it's still amusing. They will probably have to declare bankruptcy and whatever few valuable assets they still have will be sold off to pay the bills.

Rockntractor
06-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Obama is planning a new media with Amercorp and universities. Then we will finally have truth comrades!

PoliCon
06-04-2010, 11:41 PM
I liked NewsWeek when it was about reporting . . . .

Rockntractor
06-04-2010, 11:43 PM
I liked NewsWeek when it was about reporting . . . .

So when was that old timer?

PoliCon
06-04-2010, 11:45 PM
So when was that old timer?

OK fine - I was a bit of a brainwashed kid when I was reading NewsWeek . . . . but still I liked it back in the 90s . . .

fettpett
06-04-2010, 11:54 PM
yeah, i read it then too...it did have some good articles from time to time...now it's just good enough to use as toilet paper when i run out

Rockntractor
06-04-2010, 11:56 PM
yeah, i read it then too...it did have some good articles from time to time...now it's just good enough to use as toilet paper when i run out
Cats work better but be careful!

asdf2231
06-05-2010, 10:59 AM
I used to enjoy getting it. Till 9/11. Watching the absolutely appalling shift from a news magazine to an Op-Ed journal was sickening. And when they ran a cover story with a platoon commander in the middle of a fire fight yelling orders to his men and superimposed "So whats plan b?; The disaster in Iraq" or some such shit over it, I called them up and canceled the subscription and tore the goddamn thing in half without reading it till the pre paid issues ran out.

I could watch a storyline disparaging of the country or the President be started on CNN or MSNBC by reporters and analysts, pimped into something resembling reality and talking pointed to death by Democrat pols and anti war schmucks, and the following week NW would be reporting about it as if it were a genuine article. Because after all the Cable guys were running with it so who stops to think, right? :rolleyes:

The decline of that publication as it hit the bottom of the barrel, kicked that out of the way and kept digging was appalling. And it was an epithet to the death of journalism for me.

NJCardFan
06-05-2010, 11:23 AM
I think this cover says it all about this magazine:
http://audacitywatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/newsweek.jpg

However, on a more serious note, if Newsmax did buy them and flipped them to a conservative slant, the cries from the mountaintops will be deafening. The call for fairness will be coming down like rain. Itmight be funny to watch.

PoliCon
06-05-2010, 12:06 PM
I used to enjoy getting it. Till 9/11. Watching the absolutely appalling shift from a news magazine to an Op-Ed journal was sickening. And when they ran a cover story with a platoon commander in the middle of a fire fight yelling orders to his men and superimposed "So whats plan b?; The disaster in Iraq" or some such shit over it, I called them up and canceled the subscription and tore the goddamn thing in half without reading it till the pre paid issues ran out.

I could watch a storyline disparaging of the country or the President be started on CNN or MSNBC by reporters and analysts, pimped into something resembling reality and talking pointed to death by Democrat pols and anti war schmucks, and the following week NW would be reporting about it as if it were a genuine article. Because after all the Cable guys were running with it so who stops to think, right? :rolleyes:

The decline of that publication as it hit the bottom of the barrel, kicked that out of the way and kept digging was appalling. And it was an epithet to the death of journalism for me.

9/11 was a wake up call for me with regards to the media. I never once watched FoxNews before 9/11 and watched it very regularly all through til the end of the Iraq war.

NJCardFan
06-05-2010, 08:58 PM
9/11 was a wake up call for me with regards to the media. I never once watched FoxNews before 9/11 and watched it very regularly all through til the end of the Iraq war.

Ditto. I was actually glued to CNN on 9/11 but at some point shortly thereafter I switched to FOX. I think Kiran Chetry lured me in.
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2008/news/080428/kiran_chetry.jpg

fettpett
06-05-2010, 11:09 PM
damn...she's hot...she's have Nepalese too

PoliCon
06-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Ditto. I was actually glued to CNN on 9/11 but at some point shortly thereafter I switched to FOX. I think Kiran Chetry lured me in.
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2008/news/080428/kiran_chetry.jpg

For me it was the factual and unbiased coverage of the war and the events leading up to the war. All of the other channels were presenting their interpretation of events as if they were the facts themselves and that just pissed me off.

Rockntractor
06-05-2010, 11:44 PM
damn...she's hot...she's have Nepalese too
I like Nipplies:D