PDA

View Full Version : Obama has Kenyan citizenship (Rocky Mountain News)

Elspeth
08-08-2008, 12:40 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/aug/06/things-you-might-not-know-about-barack-obama/

Entered Harvard Law School in 1988, was elected the first African–American editor of the Harvard Law Review. He graduated magna cum laude in 1991.

Won two Grammys for Best Spoken Word Albums for an autobiography in 1995 "Dreams From My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance" and his second book, "The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream," published in October 2006.

Mother Ann Dunham died of ovarian cancer in 1995. Father Barack Obama Sr. was killed in a car wreck in 1982.

Spent four years in his stepfather’s native country of Indonesia.

Is the fifth African-American senator in U.S. history

Is the first presidential candidate to come from Hawaii.

Favorite movies: "The Godfather" (Parts I and II) and "Lawrence of Arabia."

In his early years he was known as Barry.

According to his memoirs, he admitted using alcohol, marijuana and cocaine in his youth.

His first name comes from the word that means "blessed by God" in Arabic.

At his wife's suggestion, he quit smoking before his campaign to win the Democratic nomination began.

Holds both American and Kenyan (since 1963) citizenship.

(read more at link...)

Gingersnap
08-08-2008, 12:45 PM
The link reports a 404 error.

megimoo
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...ahoo_headlines

Entered Harvard Law School in 1988, was elected the first African–American editor of the Harvard Law Review. He graduated magna cum laude in 1991.

Won two Grammys for Best Spoken Word Albums for an autobiography in 1995 "Dreams From My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance" and his second book, "The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream," published in October 2006.

Mother Ann Dunham died of ovarian cancer in 1995. Father Barack Obama Sr. was killed in a car wreck in 1982.

Spent four years in his stepfather’s native country of Indonesia.

Is the fifth African-American senator in U.S. history

Is the first presidential candidate to come from Hawaii.

Favorite movies: "The Godfather" (Parts I and II) and "Lawrence of Arabia."

In his early years he was known as Barry.

According to his memoirs, he admitted using alcohol, marijuana and cocaine in his youth.

His first name comes from the word that means "blessed by God" in Arabic.

At his wife's suggestion, he quit smoking before his campaign to win the Democratic nomination began.

Holds both American and Kenyan (since 1963) citizenship.

(read more at link...)Divided loyalty's will disqualify him and Hillary wins !:D

Elspeth
The link reports a 404 error.

I know. Sorry about that.

Here it the complete link:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/aug/06/things-you-might-not-know-about-barack-obama/

linda22003
08-08-2008, 12:52 PM
People seem to be intent on proving he's "not American"; it smacks of desperation that there's no other way to beat him than by disqualifying him. I thought this response to the article was interesting:

"Kenya does not allow dual citizenship. I had to drop my Kenyan citizenship to be a citizen of the United States of America."

Elspeth
08-08-2008, 01:05 PM
People seem to be intent on proving he's "not American"; it smacks of desperation that there's no other way to beat him than by disqualifying him. I thought this response to the article was interesting:

"Kenya does not allow dual citizenship. I had to drop my Kenyan citizenship to be a citizen of the United States of America."

The Rocky Mountain News is not a blog, so I thought it was safe to use it. I wonder if they got hoodwinked.

Elspeth
08-08-2008, 01:15 PM

Apparently in 2005 Kenya did not allow dual citizenship:

http://www.athleticsafrica.com/Outgoing/lagatdefects_ns_130405.html

Lagat renounces Kenyan citizenship

Lagat coming behind Olympic champion Hicham El Guerrouj in Athens - Source: BBCYomi Omogbeja (13/04/2005)

Athens Olympic 1500m silver medalist, Bernard Lagat has dropped his Kenyan nationality to take up American citizenship.

Kenyan laws does not allow dual citizenship, therefore his latest switch of allegiance implied Lagat can no longer claim to be Kenyan.

The decision of the 30-year-old, who has lived in Tucson, Arizona United States for the past nine years, has sent shock waves back to his former homeland Kenya...

And from:http://www.uscitizenship.info/citizenship-lib-dual.htm

Countries Which Prohibit Dual Citizenship:
Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Burma, Chile, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Fiji, Finland, Germany, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran*, Japan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, Malaysia, Mauritius, Nepal, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Thailand, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zimbabwe.

megimoo
08-08-2008, 01:20 PM
The Rocky Mountain News is not a blog, so I thought it was safe to use it. I wonder if they got hoodwinked.
Dual Citizenship Disqualifying?

Contributor Judah Benjamin is developing an exclusive article about eligibility to be POTUS in the event that a candidate has ever been a dual citizen of the US and other countries. That story is scheduled to be published this week.

As a preview, here is an excerpt from a recent message from Judah Benjamin:

The bottom line is that under Article II of the Constitution a person with Dual Nationality is as ineligible as a Naturalized Citizen. Like the Naturalized Citizen it doesn’t matter if they have ceased to have the Dual Nationality. It’s a question of Allegiance. The State Department admits that someone with Dual Nationality has two Allegiances, that is exactly what bars a Naturalized Citizen. Allow Obama to stand, and Arnie Schwarzenegger can cite the XIVth Amendment and stand straight away or, in any event, in 2012.

Was Obama adopted by his Indonesian step-father? Many readers have concluded that he was. What do you think?

http://texasdarlin.wordpress.com/2008/07/14/dual-nationality-disqualifying/

linda22003
08-08-2008, 01:25 PM
"Allow Obama to stand, and Arnie Schwarzenegger can cite the XIVth Amendment and stand straight away or, in any event, in 2012."

How does that follow? Schwarzenegger was actually born in a foreign country.

megimoo
08-08-2008, 01:35 PM
"Allow Obama to stand, and Arnie Schwarzenegger can cite the XIVth Amendment and stand straight away or, in any event, in 2012."

How does that follow? Schwarzenegger was actually born in a foreign country.still at home ?

Elspeth
08-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Mods.

Could you please delete this thread? Clearly the information is erroneous.

E.

Cold Warrior
08-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Mods.

E.

I'm not sure why they should as it's an interesting commentary on the desparation that some are resorting to in order to discredit Obama. We laugh and laugh and disdain and disdain the DUmmies because they hook onto any smear, however false or however irrelevant, against McCain (there was one regarding his citizenship, I believe), and then we do the same. There are many good reasons not to vote for Obama (and a few not to vote for McCain), but these are not among them.

Two sides. Same coin.

Elspeth
08-08-2008, 02:08 PM
I'm not sure why they should as it's an interesting commentary on the desparation that some are resorting to in order to discredit Obama. We laugh and laugh and disdain and disdain the DUmmies because they hook onto any smear, however false or however irrelevant, against McCain (there was one regarding his citizenship, I believe), and then we do the same. There are many good reasons not to vote for Obama (and a few not to vote for McCain), but these are not among them.

Two sides. Same coin.

I understand what you are trying to say here, but the issue is not about blogs or stealth emails circulating on the net. It's about a mainstream news source that has such problematic information in it. Mainstream publications may have opinions, but they shouldn't reprint what amount to smears.

It worries me that a big factual error like this ends up in the Rocky Mountain News. I wouldn't have quoted a blog or the National Enquirer on this. I trusted that a mainstream source had the right facts. They still haven't changed it on their website, BTW.

I put this comment up at Rocky Mountain News:

Elspeth writes:

Aoriri is correct. Kenya does not allow dual citizenship.

http://www.uscitizenship.info/citizen...

Countries Which Prohibit Dual Citizenship:
Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Burma, Chile, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Fiji, Finland, Germany, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran*, Japan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, Malaysia, Mauritius, Nepal, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Thailand, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zimbabwe.

I will not vote for Obama under any circumstances, but the Rocky Mountain News needs to fix non-factual statements.

Elspeth

Eyelids
08-08-2008, 02:13 PM
How about you fact-check before you post it Elspeth?

Desperation breeds irrationality.

Cold Warrior
08-08-2008, 02:14 PM
I understand what you are trying to say here, but the issue is not about blogs or stealth emails circulating on the net. It's about a mainstream news source that has such problematic information in it. Mainstream publications may have opinions, but they shouldn't reprint what amount to smears.

It worries me that a big factual error like this ends up in the Rocky Mountain News. I wouldn't have quoted a blog or the National Enquirer on this. I trusted that a mainstream source had the right facts. They still haven't changed it on their website, BTW.

I understand what you're saying, appreciate your reasoned response, and apologize if I seemed a bit too snappish in my response. However, what I don't like about these types of stories are: (1) their veracity and (2) their applicability. You address the first point in your reliance upon the veracity of a MSM publication (although I'm not terribly familiar with the Rocky Mountain News :D). However, regarding the second point, to attempt to interpret the constitution as denying the presidency to someone who was (disregarding other threads) born in the US to an American mother on the basis of "allegiance," really smacks of desperation.

megimoo
08-08-2008, 02:15 PM

Desperation breeds irrationality.And You are living proof of that !

Elspeth
08-08-2008, 02:45 PM
I understand what you're saying, appreciate your reasoned response, and apologize if I seemed a bit too snappish in my response. However, what I don't like about these types of stories are: (1) their veracity and (2) their applicability. You address the first point in your reliance upon the veracity of a MSM publication (although I'm not terribly familiar with the Rocky Mountain News :D). However, regarding the second point, to attempt to interpret the constitution as denying the presidency to someone who was (disregarding other threads) born in the US to an American mother on the basis of "allegiance," really smacks of desperation.

The story has always been problematic, especially since the mechanics of dual citizenship are often unclear. And there is a big difference between a foreign constitution recognizing you as a citizen and you, yourself, applying for dual citizenship.

For example, a friend of mine had a mother who was born in Ireland. Under Irish law, my friend was considered an Irish citizen by blood, but she had to apply for citizenship to actually get dual citizenship. (She was only an American citizen legally until she applied.) It works similarly with other European countries like Italy. The embassy websites of countries allowing dual citizenship will have the paperwork for it on their websites as well as instructions. You have to provide different materials (like birth certificates and marriage certificates) along with your application, and neither you nor your antecedents can have ever officially renounced your citizenship to that country.

The Kenya Embassy's website has no such information and it is clear that they no longer allow dual citizenship. I don't know what kind of dual citizenship the Kenyan government allowed in 1963 when their first post colonial government formed, but my guess is that they did not enforce dual citizenship on anyone, just allowed it based on blood: Barack would probably have had to apply for official dual citizenship status, just like my Irish-American friend.

My guess is that he did not apply since his goals in the US were always political. We know he was thinking of his political career from early on in his young adult life and I can't see him doing anything to jeopardize that. Now, of course, Kenya does not allow dual citizenship, so Barack could not be a Kenyan citizen unless he renounced his American citizenship.

I don't know what information the Rocky Mountain News was acting on. My instinct has always been to distrust this kind of story, but the fact that it appeared in a mainstream media source overrode that. It's a sad day when we have to fact check the mainstream media.

I am still trying to find the exact information. The Kenyan constitution (drafts of it) are on line but far too large to download.

Zathras
08-08-2008, 03:20 PM

So that explains why you are the way you are Blinky. Thanks for clearing it up for us.

Sonnabend
08-08-2008, 08:14 PM

No. We don't delete threads unless specifically necessary.

Elspeth
08-08-2008, 08:53 PM
No. We don't delete threads unless specifically necessary.

OK.

Phillygirl
08-08-2008, 10:34 PM

You're kidding, right? A poster posts a link to a story, through the course of discussion agrees with a contrary point of view that convinces her the story is false, takes the further action to request that the thread be removed (which we don't do except in extraordinary circumstances) and you have the unmitigated gall to attempt to chastise her?

Seriously...go back to your gameboy marathon.

Gingersnap
08-08-2008, 10:47 PM

How about you try that method your own self. The Rocky was in error. It's not like she lifted this from some delusional site. :rolleyes:

OwlMBA
08-08-2008, 11:08 PM
I wish he would run for President of Kenya. He would fit in better over there.

AmPat
08-09-2008, 12:35 AM

This is the part you need to be concerned with. He had to "drop" a citizenship discloses a potential loyalty to another country. Worse, a possible sympathy to a religious philosophy that is hostile to Americans and our beliefs.

This may prove to be untrue but if there is any doubt, (and there is MUCH doubt) as to B.O.'s loyalty, we should not allow him to be the leader of OUR country.

AmPat
08-09-2008, 12:37 AM

Much like inbreeding breeds Eyelids.:rolleyes: