PDA

View Full Version : Did Reuters Crop a Photo to Remove a Peace Activist's Weapon?

PoliCon
06-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 9:05:59 am PDT

A Turkish newpaper has released photos taken by the “peace activists” aboard the Mavi Marmara, showing them attempting to take injured Israeli soldiers hostage.

Here’s one of the pictures; notice the knife held by a “peace activist” in the lower right corner:http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/pictures/ZZ080932F7.jpg

And here’s the same photo as released by Reuters earlier today:http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/pictures/ZZ77D1BB3D.jpg

That’s a very interesting way to crop the photo. Most people would consider that knife an important part of the context. There was a huge controversy over whether the activists were armed. Cropping out a knife, in a picture showing a soldier who’s apparently been stabbed, seems like a very odd editorial decision.

Unless someone was trying to hide it.

And this would not be the first time that Reuters has been caught altering photos for propaganda purposes.

(Hat tip: KT.)
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/36488_Did_Reuters_Crop_a_Photo_to_Remove_a_Peace_A ctivists_Weapon/comments/#ctop

Big Guy
06-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Can you re-post the photo's? It didn't work the first time.:confused:

PoliCon
06-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Can you re-post the photo's? It didn't work the first time.:confused:

You'll have to go to the link then to see them. Sorry.

ETA - he seems a bit . . . chunky for a commando . . .

Articulate_Ape
06-06-2010, 04:56 PM
You'll have to go to the link then to see them. Sorry.

ETA - he seems a bit . . . chunky for a commando . . .

And he's wearing Speedos. I would have thought he'd be going commando.

Big Guy
06-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Looks like the peaceful protesters aren't so peaceful after all. :cool:

Constitutionally Speaking
06-06-2010, 05:15 PM

Now that's funny I don't care who you are!

PoliCon
06-06-2010, 05:20 PM

I figured it was a jockstrap . . . . but now that you mention it . . . . It does look like bikini briefs. Then again - those are very popular in Europe . . . . Just ask Hamps. I'm sure he wears them all the time. . . . .

NJCardFan
06-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Looks like the peaceful protesters aren't so peaceful after all. :cool:

Meh. It's just a knife. Not like it was an AK-47 or any type of firearm. I carry a knife with me all the time. No big deal.

PoliCon
06-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Meh. It's just a knife. Not like it was an AK-47 or any type of firearm. I carry a knife with me all the time. No big deal.

and you generally stand - quite innocently - over stabbing victims with an unsheathed knife in your hand?

NJCardFan
06-06-2010, 08:25 PM
and you generally stand - quite innocently - over stabbing victims with an unsheathed knife in your hand?

Do you see blood on the knife? I don't.

Big Guy
06-06-2010, 08:25 PM

I carry a firearm and a knife with me all the time, that's not violent in it's self. It becomes violent when they are used. Kinda like when they used that knife to stab the Commando.

asdf2231
06-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Looks as if he may be holding a blade stripped off the guy on the deck.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l307/asdf2231/knife.jpg

Not ezzactly a real combat grip there guys. And thats even taking into account some of the retard tacti-cool poses some of these idiots take. Loose, half-ass grip, blade reversed and edge turned away. He's not even comfortable HOLDING that let alone stabbing someone. Also the Israeli down on the deck has hand injuries that would be pretty consistent with retention wounds. (Those are'nt defensive cuts and he doesn't look stabbed anywhere)

Looks like they cropped it to center up the image on the downed soldier. not to hide schmucky the awkward knife dood.

Big Guy
06-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Looks as if he may be holding a blade stripped off the guy on the deck.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l307/asdf2231/knife.jpg

Not ezzactly a real combat grip there guys. And thats even taking into account some of the retard tacti-cool poses some of these idiots take. Loose, half-ass grip, blade reversed and edge turned away. He's not even comfortable HOLDING that let alone stabbing someone. Also the Israeli down on the deck has hand injuries that would be pretty consistent with retention wounds. (Those are'nt defensive cuts and he doesn't look stabbed anywhere)

Looks like they cropped it to center up the image on the downed soldier. not to hide schmucky the awkward knife dood.

It is quite possible that the wounds are consistent with knife retention or defensive wounds. In one photo you can see what may be a knife wound to the right pelvic area.

Since none of us were there, we interpret what we can see.

PoliCon
06-07-2010, 12:16 AM
THE POINT IS people that they edited out the knife. Not that the knife is for sure the weapon - but that they went out of their way to remove it from the photo so as to present the proper narrative.

asdf2231
06-07-2010, 02:45 AM
It is quite possible that the wounds are consistent with knife retention or defensive wounds. In one photo you can see what may be a knife wound to the right pelvic area.

Since none of us were there, we interpret what we can see.

And what I see are retention injuries to the mans hand. Which are caused by skin being torn while trying to retain a weapon or from fucking up on a zip line. I've SEEN injuries like that from people trying to hang onto everything from bottles to handguns.

Theoretically he could have grabbed the blade of a knife but if he had grabbed the blade there would be a helluva lot more bleeding from the palm. And there would probably be spray and spatter patterns all over his uniform. (Hand wounds that deep bleed a ton.) The blood on his pelvis is trickle from either the bloody nose or the hand.

asdf2231
06-07-2010, 02:48 AM
THE POINT IS people that they edited out the knife. Not that the knife is for sure the weapon - but that they went out of their way to remove it from the photo so as to present the proper narrative.

Poly I really think the crop was done to emphisize the soldier. Hell *I* would have cropped it like that if I were doing layout. Because the dude isnt holding that knife in any way that could be interpreted as menacing. Just saying.

(on edit)

Well not menacing to anyone that isnt kicked to shit and laying belly up on the deck of a ship being worked over by 12th century savages that is.

PoliCon
06-07-2010, 10:53 AM
And what I see are retention injuries to the mans hand. Which are caused by skin being torn while trying to retain a weapon or from fucking up on a zip line. I've SEEN injuries like that from people trying to hang onto everything from bottles to handguns.

Theoretically he could have grabbed the blade of a knife but if he had grabbed the blade there would be a helluva lot more bleeding from the palm. And there would probably be spray and spatter patterns all over his uniform. (Hand wounds that deep bleed a ton.) The blood on his pelvis is trickle from either the bloody nose or the hand.

like perhaps he grabbed a knife hand and got cut maybe?

Odysseus
06-15-2010, 10:06 AM

Exactly. Reuters wouldn't have edited out a similar weapon in the hand of an Israeli. One has to wonder when Helen Thomas will come on board as one of their commentators.