PDA

View Full Version : Computer is Completely Kaput!

Speedy
06-07-2010, 02:11 PM
I have been posting from the library since the middle of last week. My computer completely cratered and it was taken out behind the barn and shot between the eyes out of mercy.

I have another computer that a friend left for me to fix. The day after he dropped it off, he got into a little trouble with the law and will be behind bars for a good portion of his life. Computers will be running Windows 17 by the time he gets out.

His computer will not bootup. Instead, it humms, the fan turns but nothing happens on the screen. I have diagnosed this as a power supply problem and ordered a new power supply for it. Is this a proper diagnosis?

Articulate_Ape
06-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Could be a lot of things, Speedy (e.g. bad monitor, bad video card, MB is toast, HD is hosed, etc., etc.).

Speedy
06-07-2010, 02:22 PM
I have hooked it up to several monitors and it does the same thing. On my computer I think the processor went bad. Even after proper admonishment, taking it out and scolding and spanking it, "Bad Processor! Bad! Bad!" I could not get it to work.

On the one I am trying to get to work I do not get even a boot up screen on the monitor. Even if the hard drive is bad you still get something on the screen in most cases. I even reset the ROM on it and nothing happens. I got a good price on a power supply so it is no biggie. Could not use the power supply from my old computer because it was 20 pin vs 24 pin.

lacarnut
06-08-2010, 01:08 AM
Buy a new one. For 7 or 8 hundred bucks, you can get a good one.

NJCardFan
06-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Buy a new one. For 7 or 8 hundred bucks, you can get a good one.

For considerably less you can get a decent one.

lacarnut
06-08-2010, 12:47 PM
For considerably less you can get a decent one.

Yep or a used or re-furbished one

Speedy
06-08-2010, 12:53 PM
The one I am trying to fix is practically brand new. If the power supply is the problem I'll run with it. If not, I'll build another one. I have never bought a computer for myself preferring to buy the parts and build it myself. Though I may breakdown and buy a laptop.