Gingersnap
06-07-2010, 03:27 PM
'Black flight' changing the makeup of Dallas schools

01:18 PM CDT on Sunday, June 6, 2010
First of two parts
By HOLLY K. HACKER and TAWNELL D. HOBBS / The Dallas Morning News
hhacker@dallasnews.com
tdhobbs@dallasnews.com

Every morning Vivian King drives her granddaughter past her neighborhood Dallas ISD school on the five-mile route to her charter school.

Both are "recognized" public schools, but King believes the A.W. Brown-Fellowship Leadership Academy offers her granddaughter, 6-year-old Vivica Griffin, a better education.

"We didn't want her to go to the schools around here," King said.

King's decision makes her part of a historic shift in Dallas ISD: The number of black children attending DISD schools has reached its lowest point since 1965.

The movement mirrors, on a smaller scale, massive white flight from the district in the 1970s.

Black students formed a majority in Dallas schools through the 1980s and '90s. Over the last 10 years, though, the number of black children has fallen by nearly 20,000, or about a third. Meanwhile, Hispanic children have filled their seats as the district's overall enrollment remains fairly flat at about 157,000.

Today, about 41,000 black students attend DISD schools. They make up 26 percent of the district compared with 106,000 Hispanic children, or 68 percent. White students are 5 percent of the district.

The trend seen in Dallas schools is part of a larger national move away from inner cities for many black families, but the plunge is steeper in Dallas ISD than other urban districts in Texas and is among the biggest declines nationally.

Interviews with dozens of parents reveal that the exodus is not fueled by a single reason, but by myriad forces including issues of race, class, perceptions of problems within DISD, an explosion of charter schools and the quest for the American dream in the suburbs.

Adelfa Callejo, a Latina civil rights activist, said it's like history repeating itself.

"They're doing exactly what the whites are doing, abandoning the school district," Callejo said. "That will leave us with a lack of black leadership. You need leaders of all races to make it happen."

Specifically, black parents most often mentioned the following reasons:

•The perception that Dallas ISD schools offer an inferior education compared with suburban schools, and that the school system is too big and impersonal.

•As Dallas ISD educates a growing number of Hispanic students, many of whom are poor and learning English, some black parents say the district no longer focuses on their children.

•The desire of middle-class blacks to live in bigger, newer, more comfortable homes in the suburbs, away from big-city crime and congestion.

•A growing number of charter schools, which are public schools run by private groups.

•Many of Dallas' traditionally black neighborhoods are aging, and young Hispanic families are moving in to replace them and having children.

Gee, I thought only white people could enjoy the suburbs or charter schools. This article seems to indicate that greater affluence - not sinister white privilege - is actually what causes people to move into nicer surroundings and take advantage of more diverse educational opportunities. Who knew?

Dallas News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/060610dnmetblackflight.1bffbc6.html)

noonwitch
06-07-2010, 03:33 PM
The black middle class is abandoning Detroit in droves. They've given up on the schools, and with the low level of police available to patrol the city, they are giving up on the city itself.

PoliCon
06-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Gee, I thought only white people could enjoy the suburbs or charter schools. This article seems to indicate that greater affluence - not sinister white privilege - is actually what causes people to move into nicer surroundings and take advantage of more diverse educational opportunities. Who knew?

Dallas News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/060610dnmetblackflight.1bffbc6.html)

The black middle class is abandoning Detroit in droves. They've given up on the schools, and with the low level of police available to patrol the city, they are giving up on the city itself.

It can't be true!!11!!!!111! [/DU mode]

Gingersnap
06-07-2010, 05:18 PM
But....but....but.....if all the smart black people move out of the inner city and start going to Starbucks, who will we pity and smother with do-goodism? [/white guilt mode] :eek:

noonwitch
06-08-2010, 08:59 AM
But....but....but.....if all the smart black people move out of the inner city and start going to Starbucks, who will we pity and smother with do-goodism? [/white guilt mode] :eek:

The Salvation Army will still be there, you can give them money instead.

Wei Wu Wei
06-08-2010, 03:56 PM

PLenty of people knew, there have been sociologists arguing since the late 70's that race has declined as the significant factor in social mobility while economic class position you're born into has risen.

I've got several academic articles on the topic if you're interested.

Gingersnap
06-08-2010, 04:59 PM
PLenty of people knew, there have been sociologists arguing since the late 70's that race has declined as the significant factor in social mobility while economic class position you're born into has risen.

I've got several academic articles on the topic if you're interested.

Uh, thanks but ordinary common sense allowed me to arrive at that conclusion by the time I was around 15. Too bad academia and the race-baiters haven't heard the news.

Wei Wu Wei
06-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Uh, thanks but ordinary common sense allowed me to arrive at that conclusion by the time I was around 15. Too bad academia and the race-baiters haven't heard the news.

Well it's more than just a conclusion but more of a detailed analysis of how and why the shift has occurred and the effects of it on other aspects of society. Okay tho.

Jfor
06-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Well it's more than just a conclusion but more of a detailed analysis of how and why the shift has occurred and the effects of it on other aspects of society. Okay tho.

Oh, you mean like capitalist ventures that allow people to get better jobs therefor earn more money therefor being to provide better for themselves? I don't think the your beloved federal government helped there.