PDA

View Full Version : Latest movies

PC Guy
06-08-2010, 04:58 AM
Has anyone seen the following:

Shrek Forever After
Iron Man 2
Prince of Persia

Also, does anyone plan on seeing The Karate Kid (starring Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith)?

linda22003
06-08-2010, 08:28 AM
Nope, x4. None of those are appealing. I made it (sort of) through the first Iron Man because of Downey, but that's not enough to make me subject myself to it a second time.

"The Karate Kid" is part of an odd new trend: remakes of movies that are still fairly recent. I have no idea why they remade "Death at a Funeral" so soon.

Rebel Yell
06-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Has anyone seen the following:

Shrek Forever After
Iron Man 2
Prince of Persia

Also, does anyone plan on seeing The Karate Kid (starring Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith)?

Iron Man 2 was a huge letdown. About 15 minutes worth of action in a 2 hour "action" movie. They tried to cram to much into it.

On a side note, I was also dissapointed with Robin Hood.

Gingersnap
06-08-2010, 09:32 AM
I haven't seen any of them - too much to do this time of year. I probably won't get back to the movies until July. :(

NJCardFan
06-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Ironman 2 is the only one I saw and as Reb said, it was kind of disappointing. As for the new Karate Kid, do the words hell no mean anything. For starters, it takes place in China. China doesn't practice karate. And neither does Jackie Chan. So that makes it stupid right there. 2nd, I don't like remakes. It just shows how Hollywood has no imagination. They take an older movie, throw out the old story and replace it with a new one and keep the name. Most of these remakes have little to do with the original. They should have just let the KK franchise die after the horrible Hillary Swank version.

Zathras
06-08-2010, 10:44 AM
I have seen all 3 of those and enjoyed them, nothing special about them but still enjoyable for me. As for the Karate Kid I do plan on seeing it...can never pass up a Jackie Chan film.

As for the new Karate Kid, do the words hell no mean anything. For starters, it takes place in China. China doesn't practice karate. And neither does Jackie Chan. So that makes it stupid right there.

You are correct in that they do not practice karate in China. They practice Kung Fu. The term "Karate Kid" is used as a insult by the bullies for Jayden Smith's character after their first encounter.

Speedy
06-08-2010, 12:42 PM
I don't like remakes. It just shows how Hollywood has no imagination. They take an older movie, throw out the old story and replace it with a new one and keep the name. Most of these remakes have little to do with the original. They should have just let the KK franchise die after the horrible Hillary Swank version.

There is another disturbing trend within the disturbing trend of remakes. I can see an actor being given a role because he brings something to it. But when they make a character Black just to be topical or hip I find that as not only stupid but insulting. The Honeymooners? Was there any reason whatsoever to make the the two lead actors black? Kojack? The biggest stupidity had to Will Smith in The Wild Wild West. Now The Karate Kid is continuing the trend. What's next?

There are roles that are colorless. That can be played by any actor regardless of color. Denzel Washington has made a career of this. Will Smith has to some extent.

PC Guy
06-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Iron Man 2 was a huge letdown. About 15 minutes worth of action in a 2 hour "action" movie. They tried to cram to much into it.

On a side note, I was also dissapointed with Robin Hood.

I ended up watching Iron Man 2 last night. For me personally, I didn't find it too bad considering the fact that A) I haven't watched Iron Man (1) and B) I had no desire of watching Iron Man 2 in the first place.

PC Guy
06-08-2010, 06:37 PM
I have seen all 3 of those and enjoyed them, nothing special about them but still enjoyable for me. As for the Karate Kid I do plan on seeing it...can never pass up a Jackie Chan film.

Same here (except for Prince of Persia). I also plan on watching The Karate Kid.

patriot45
06-08-2010, 08:06 PM
I didn't see those but we just watched Avatar, and I thought it was pretty good. I will watch Iron Man II, because I like mindless movies!

PC Guy
06-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Got back home not too long ago from watching Prince of Persia. Now that I have officially watched all 3 of the movies that I myself have listed, I like Prince of Persia the best.:D

Sonnabend
06-09-2010, 04:18 AM
Saw Iron Man 2..disappointing and lame.

Rebel Yell
06-09-2010, 09:14 AM
I didn't see those but we just watched Avatar, and I thought it was pretty good. I will watch Iron Man II, because I like mindless movies!

If you didn't see Avatar in the theater, you didn't really see Avatar.

As far as Iron Man 2, don't expect anything near Iron Man 1.

NJCardFan
06-09-2010, 11:27 AM
There is another disturbing trend within the disturbing trend of remakes. I can see an actor being given a role because he brings something to it. But when they make a character Black just to be topical or hip I find that as not only stupid but insulting. The Honeymooners? Was there any reason whatsoever to make the the two lead actors black? Kojack? The biggest stupidity had to Will Smith in The Wild Wild West. Now The Karate Kid is continuing the trend. What's next?

There are roles that are colorless. That can be played by any actor regardless of color. Denzel Washington has made a career of this. Will Smith has to some extent.
Because for some reason Hollywood feels the need to urbanize things. Urbanizing the Honeymooners was the ultimate in stupid. But if you think that's bad, there is talk of remaking Back to School with a predominantly black cast. My thing is, if you're going to do that, just make a whole different movie with a different name.

Another problem I have with Hollywood is when they need to change things around just to be PC. The Resident Evil series pisses me off because they decided to make the lead a woman. Now, I'm a Milla fan and I'll pay to watch her arrange flowers but in the games, the protagonist isn't a woman. Same with Silent Hill. They pretty much kept with the story of the first game. So, why change Harry to Rose? Especially considering that in the original game, there ends up being a connection between Cybill and Harry. Also, why change the story in the first place? The storyline in the first SH game was sufficient enough to make a great movie.

Sonnabend
06-09-2010, 08:34 PM
If you didn't see Avatar in the theater, you didn't really see Avatar.

Avatar was eight movies I had seen before. :rolleyes:

Rebel Yell
06-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Avatar was eight movies I had seen before. :rolleyes:

OK, I'll give you that. Visually, if you didn't see it in the theater, you didn't really see it.

PC Guy
06-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Just got back from watching The Karate Kid. Was actually kind of good (just my own personal opinion).

PC Guy
06-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Has anyone seen Toy Story 3? Just got back from it. Glad I watched it.:D

NJCardFan
06-23-2010, 01:23 AM
I just got done watching Shutter Island. Sorry to say that I saw the ending coming in the first 15 minutes of the movie.

PoliCon
06-23-2010, 01:27 AM
Saw A-Team this evening and it wasn't half bad. Sure they painted the CIA as above the law and Blackwater as noing more than a bunch of cut throat murdering opportunists . . . . beyond that it was entertaining.

Justin_
06-23-2010, 01:59 AM
Has anyone seen Toy Story 3? Just got back from it. Glad I watched it.:D

Toy Story is actually the only movie in theaters that I'd like to see right now.

Haven't seen Shrek 4, but I've heard that it's worse than Shrek 3 (which I thought was pretty disappointing)

My brother saw Prince of Persia and said that it was pretty good. I always have doubts about movies based on video games, though.

I think Karate Kid looks awful, just like most remakes. I liked the original.

PC Guy
06-23-2010, 02:32 AM
Toy Story is actually the only movie in theaters that I'd like to see right now.

Haven't seen Shrek 4, but I've heard that it's worse than Shrek 3 (which I thought was pretty disappointing)

My brother saw Prince of Persia and said that it was pretty good. I always have doubts about movies based on video games, though.

I think Karate Kid looks awful, just like most remakes. I liked the original.

Don't watch Shrek 4 (trailers are better than the movie itself). Prince of Persia wasn't all that bad (exceeded my personal expectations). With Toy Story 3 however, Pixar does it again on making an excellent movie for all ages.:cool: If you have seen Toy Story and Toy Story 2, then Toy Story 3 is a must watch as it is a fitting end to this series that started in 1995 (1995 was when Toy Story came out).

Rebel Yell
06-23-2010, 08:39 AM
I just got done watching Shutter Island. Sorry to say that I saw the ending coming in the first 15 minutes of the movie.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one. How many times has THAT happened in a movie? Still, pretty good movie though. I figured he'd burned down the house though.

NJCardFan
06-23-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm glad I wasn't the only one. How many times has THAT happened in a movie? Still, pretty good movie though. I figured he'd burned down the house though.

Yeah. I'm still trying to figure out that angle as it's never brought up. Especially when he was dreaming about his wife.

Megaguns91
06-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Iron man 2 was a good flick. Quirky, funny, whatever.
Liked Prince o Persia too.

NJCardFan
06-25-2010, 01:02 AM
Saw Toy Story tonight. Excellent movie and a great way to end things. I'm not ashamed to say that I got choked up at times.

Zathras
06-25-2010, 01:39 AM
Saw Toy Story tonight. Excellent movie and a great way to end things. I'm not ashamed to say that I got choked up at times.

You too eh? Especially at the end as Andy was driving away.