PDA

View Full Version : Marine: Union bullying me to pay $500 (Thug Alert)

Gingersnap
06-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Marine: Union bullying me to pay $500

Teacher runs ROTC, rejects any benefits

By Jessica Van Sack
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - Updated 39m ago

A retired U.S. Marine who runs a high school ROTC program in Worcester says he faces the boot for refusing to pay local union dues, leaving the 58-year-old father of two crying foul and school administrators bewildered.

“It just seems crazy that they’re gonna fire me over $500,” said Maj. Stephen L. Godin, senior naval science instructor at the Naval Junior ROTC Unit of North High School. “Everyone’s talking about finding good teachers - I haven’t missed a day in 14 years.”

Indeed, North High School Principal Matthew Morse praised Godin yesterday as an “excellent” instructor who has turned his program into a top junior ROTC academy.

Godin, a 20-year Marine veteran until 1994, who flew F-4 Phantoms and was deployed five times, said he refuses to join the union because he receives all his benefits, including health insurance and half his salary, from the military. Unlike other teachers, he doesn’t earn a stipend for after-school activities, such as the hours he spends coaching the high school’s regional champion drill team. His salary is dictated by the U.S. Military, not labor negotiators, Godin said.

Officials from the Education Association of Worcester did not return repeated calls, and the Massachusetts Teachers Association declined comment.

State law requires certain public employees to join unions as a condition of employment or pay a so-called agency fee, which goes toward the cost of collective bargaining. But Godin said he shouldn’t have to pay the $500 fee because he receives no benefit from the local union. He provided a letter from the local union demanding he join or pay the fee by the school year’s end. Godin said in 14 years of teaching in Worcester public schools, he’s never been asked to pony up for the union.

“I’ve always worked hard,” he said. “I’m a loyal Marine. Now they’re chasing me away.”

Boston Herald (http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1260054&srvc=news&position=2)

Wei Wu Wei
06-08-2010, 03:22 PM
His teacher salary is higher because of the union, even if he himself doesn't participate.

malloc
06-08-2010, 03:50 PM
His teacher salary is higher because of the union, even if he himself doesn't participate.

So, even though this Marine is too stupid to know it, the union is good for him and he should just shut up and recognize that he is too stupid to make his own decisions of association and should defer all decision making processes to the collective? Wow, that's a new low for you. We all know you are narcissist, but this is a whole new level, you should probably see a professional before you drown in a lake chasing your own reflection. I've demonstrated more than once exactly what unions do to businesses, prosperity and members. If you want another example, look at GM. That is the end game for the unions, nothing left to work for because it's been bled dry. How many discussions have we had on economics? How many times have I completely debunked your ass-hat ideas about how the real world makes wealth? Still, even now you have neither learned nor accepted any economic reality.

Looks like RockinTractor and PoliCon were right after all. You aren't here to learn and grow, you aren't here for debate, you are simply a parrot. You are a propagandist who just can't learn any better. Well, you must be the dumbest propagandist on the face of this earth, because no one here is going to buy your bullshit yet here is where you choose to pedal your idiotic wares. You are like a willing Sisyphus, doomed to push the rock of your stupid philosophy up a hill, only to have it rejected and knocked back down over and over again. Why don't you go find someplace where someone might actually believe you, Noam Chomsky, and all the other idiots you idolize? Otherwise, find a good mental health professional. The very act of believing you can bring up some thoroughly debunked talking points and convince people to follow your philosophy with them reveals a lot about your level of narcissism.

Wei Wu Wei
06-08-2010, 04:10 PM
I raised a point, not an argument.

And that's not what narcissism is.

malloc
06-08-2010, 04:30 PM
I raised a point, not an argument.

And that's not what narcissism is.

narcissism /nar·cis·sism/ (nahr´sĭ-sizm) dominant interest in one's self; the state in which the ego is invested in oneself rather than in another person; self-love
--The Medical Dictionary

Let's look at some facts. First off, this former Marine, who has a pension and medical for life, doesn't need, or apparently want, the "help" of any union. He's taken care of himself and his needs. This union is forcing themselves upon this person, whom they cannot benefit due to his self-reliance, simply to collect dues. That is what unions do, they bully, they intimidate, and they watch out for the union. Out of all this, your only comment was about how awesome the union was at improving this person's salary? Why was this your only comment? Why did you not see and comment upon the inherit injustice of the situation? The answer is because you couldn't see any injustice in the situation because in your mind unions are good things. If unions do bad things that means something you put faith in did something wrong, and your ego won't weather that, so it's just easier to block out the bad things than face them. Your dominant interest when interpreting the article was in your pre-conceived notions of unions, and not within the reality of the injustice presented by the article. Your interpretation of the article revolved around your ego. Yeah, that's narcissism, plain and simple.

Wei Wu Wei
06-08-2010, 05:30 PM
narcissism /nar·cis·sism/ (nahr´sĭ-sizm) dominant interest in one's self; the state in which the ego is invested in oneself rather than in another person; self-love
--The Medical Dictionary

Let's look at some facts. First off, this former Marine, who has a pension and medical for life, doesn't need, or apparently want, the "help" of any union. He's taken care of himself and his needs. This union is forcing themselves upon this person, whom they cannot benefit due to his self-reliance, simply to collect dues. That is what unions do, they bully, they intimidate, and they watch out for the union. Out of all this, your only comment was about how awesome the union was at improving this person's salary? Why was this your only comment? Why did you not see and comment upon the inherit injustice of the situation? The answer is because you couldn't see any injustice in the situation because in your mind unions are good things. If unions do bad things that means something you put faith in did something wrong, and your ego won't weather that, so it's just easier to block out the bad things than face them. Your dominant interest when interpreting the article was in your pre-conceived notions of unions, and not within the reality of the injustice presented by the article. Your interpretation of the article revolved around your ego. Yeah, that's narcissism, plain and simple.

That's not narcissism buddy.

malloc
06-08-2010, 05:40 PM
That's not narcissism buddy.

Well, I guess you are free to re-write the dictionary in whatever way protects your ego. I'm not one to stop you.