PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant Wednesday!

Gingersnap
06-09-2010, 09:52 AM
It will be in the mid-80s today with some clouds in the p.m. The yard is looking very fine.

TOTD: You have the opportunity to own any kind of restaurant you want. For the purposes of this question, assume your restaurant will be successful no matter where you live or what you serve on the menu (i.e., you want a Moroccan restaurant in a Mexican area or whatever). Also assume that you are the owner - not the lead dinner chef. Your own culinary skills aren't important here.

What kind of restaurant would you have? Who is your clientèle? Do you have a theme? What does the restaurant look like? What kind of food is served? Do you have a specialty? :D

linda22003
06-09-2010, 10:06 AM
I would have a small, chic restaurant in an old historic house/building which had a set menu for each evening. It would seat about 30 people at most, and would have an early and late seating. The menus would be worked out a week or so at a time, so people could select the evening they wanted (if you're not a red meat eater, don't come on boeuf bourguignon night).

There would be five courses, prix fixe, good wines, and it would be ferociously expensive. ;)

Gingersnap
06-09-2010, 10:18 AM
I would have a small, chic restaurant in an old historic house/building which had a set menu for each evening. It would seat about 30 people at most, and would have an early and late seating. The menus would be worked out a week or so at a time, so people could select the evening they wanted (if you're not a red meat eater, don't come on boeuf bourguignon night).

There would be five courses, prix fixe, good wines, and it would be ferociously expensive. ;)

What would the name be?

Rebel Yell
06-09-2010, 10:18 AM
I'd have a wild game restaraunt with sawdust floors and an open bar. We would only serve American beer. If you drink Corona or some other "faggy" beer, you wouldn't be comfortable in this restaraunt anyway.

The menu would be deer, quail, dove, elk, wild hog, etc.

The building would be a log cabin out of town with a bonfire in the back complete with seating around it for those who want to hang out and drink their beer.

RobJohnson
06-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Good morning. The mountain air is crisp and starting to get warm. Today's high will be in the in 90's. Our primary elections were yesterday and this town has been about nuts with scandal. Sheriff canidates were arrested on bogus charges, the district attorney was arrested on bogus charges based on a warrant drawn up by a guy running against him, etc, etc, etc...this is all been in the past 12 weeks or so....

TOTD: I'm not sure and it all sounds like work to me. I think I would simply want one of those chain steak houses like Outback or Texas Roadhouse or better yet, the one my sister & family has a financial investment in, Whiskey Creek.

http://www.whiskeycreek.com/index.html

linda22003
06-09-2010, 12:52 PM
What would the name be?

I don't know. It wouldn't have a sign outside; you'd just have to "know" about it, which would add to its cachet.

PoliCon
06-09-2010, 02:17 PM
TOTD: I'd do a family style restaurant with small dining rooms - for the intimate feeling - and everything served family style and everything made from scratch. I would have a daily menu with a couple of main course options for people to chose from - a fish, a poultry - a pork - and a beef selection - several sides - veggies - breads - etc. PLUS I would have kids free sections so that if your not interested in someones little monster screaming all through dinner - you wouldn't have to hear it. the other thing I would have would be a jammer on site to block any and all electrics signals. No one wants to listen to your cell phone conversations. :mad: I think I'd call it Down Home Kitchen or something like that . . . .

noonwitch
06-09-2010, 03:41 PM
It's sunny and about 80 degrees. I took a drive to visit a very cute baby in CS's part of Michigan today. It was a nice day for a drive.

TOTD: I love Italian food, so I would want to own an Italian style restaurant, that specialized in garlicky seafood dishes. I'm not of italian descent, so I'd need to use someone else's name, or add italian-sounding syllables to my last name. Like "ella" or "amo". Mineramo.

lacarnut
06-09-2010, 03:53 PM
It is Africa hot and muggy in Bayou Land. My stepson just finished cutting the grass and he got overheated.

TOTD: If money was no object I would open hundreds of places where the homeless could get good hot meals. No Fancy Dan Ritzy Rest. for me.

Gingersnap
06-09-2010, 10:02 PM
TOTD: I'd run a truck stop restaurant. I've eaten at some good ones. Just plain old diner food but all favorites: chili, burgers, open face turkey sandwiches, meatloaf, mac and cheese, etc.

The sound system would only play Country except on Hippie Day once a week when I'd allow all that crap. I'd stock the free newspaper rack with cheap Bibles AND the local fake sex paper. I'd call the place 'Bonnie's'. My secretary is called (but not named) Bonnie and she makes a mean pulled pork sandwich.

I'd have a Cuss Jar by the register for whatever the local cause du jour was. Provable widows would eat free.:)

RobJohnson
06-09-2010, 11:45 PM
It is Africa hot and muggy in Bayou Land. My stepson just finished cutting the grass and he got overheated.

TOTD: If money was no object I would open hundreds of places where the homeless could get good hot meals. No Fancy Dan Ritzy Rest. for me.

I hope your stepson is ok.

lacarnut
06-10-2010, 12:54 AM
I hope your stepson is ok.

He is ok & thanks.

NJCardFan
06-10-2010, 03:03 AM
I'd have a wild game restaraunt with sawdust floors and an open bar. We would only serve American beer. If you drink Corona or some other "faggy" beer, you wouldn't be comfortable in this restaraunt anyway.

The menu would be deer, quail, dove, elk, wild hog, etc.

The building would be a log cabin out of town with a bonfire in the back complete with seating around it for those who want to hang out and drink their beer.

There was a restaurant in South Jersey called The Buck Tavern (http://www.bucktavern.com/Buck_Tavern_Home.html) that used to serve game foods. Don't know if they do that anymore but they used to have stuff like rattlesnake, elk, and other crazy shit on the menu.

But my restaurant would be Italian all the way. Good food, plenty of it, and affordable. In an Italian household, you don't go away hungry and that's how it would be at my place.

Constitutionally Speaking
06-10-2010, 06:30 AM
It will be in the mid-80s today with some clouds in the p.m. The yard is looking very fine.

TOTD: You have the opportunity to own any kind of restaurant you want. For the purposes of this question, assume your restaurant will be successful no matter where you live or what you serve on the menu (i.e., you want a Moroccan restaurant in a Mexican area or whatever). Also assume that you are the owner - not the lead dinner chef. Your own culinary skills aren't important here.

What kind of restaurant would you have? Who is your clientèle? Do you have a theme? What does the restaurant look like? What kind of food is served? Do you have a specialty? :D

Been there, done that. No thanks. My family owned a restaurant both in my very young years and in my teens. It was a German Restaurant in a German tourist town in Michigan. Long hours, odd hours, little return on investment. I did like meeting new people though.

SarasotaRepub
06-10-2010, 07:01 AM

Ahhhh...so it's going to be in Florida!!! :p:D

linda22003
06-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Ahhhh...so it's going to be in Florida!!! :p:D

No. By early seating I mean 6.30, not 4.30.

RobJohnson
06-10-2010, 11:00 AM
No. By early seating I mean 6.30, not 4.30.

4:30 is the late seating in Florida. :p

PoliCon
06-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Been there, done that. No thanks. My family owned a restaurant both in my very young years and in my teens. It was a German Restaurant in a German tourist town in Michigan. Long hours, odd hours, little return on investment. I did like meeting new people though.

There really is a TON of hard work involved. . . .

Constitutionally Speaking
06-11-2010, 05:26 AM
There really is a TON of hard work involved. . . .

Yes there is.