PDA

View Full Version : Fla. Christian School Fires Teacher Over 'Fornication' Claims

FlaGator
06-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Yet more interesting news on the illegal sex topic

A former Florida teacher said the administrators of a Christian school where she was employed fired her because she became pregnant just before her wedding, MyFoxOrlando.com reported.

Now, she has filed a federal discrimination lawsuit against the private school in St. Cloud, Fla.

Jarrestta Hamilton said April of 2009 was the happiest month of her life. She was a newlywed and newly pregnant and teaching fourth graders at Southland Christian School. She said it was about that time when she approached by the administration to talk about "maternity leave (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/09/fla-christian-school-fires-teacher-fornication-claims/#)."

She said when asked, she admitted that the baby was conceived three weeks before the wedding. A week later, she said the school fired her. Attorney Ed Gay is helping Hamilton sue the school, claiming that her termination amounts to discrimination based on her pregnancy and marital status.

"If they're going to single her out because she conceived prior to marriage, but allow people to remain employed who conceived during a marriage, isn't that discriminating against her based on her marital status?" asked Gay, according to MyFoxOrlando.com.

linda22003
06-09-2010, 12:17 PM
What she should have said, when asked, is "None of your damn business".

Gingersnap
06-09-2010, 12:34 PM

At 3 weeks, who would even ask? :confused:

linda22003
06-09-2010, 12:41 PM
You're right, Ginger. Do female staff have to submit the dates of their menstrual periods? :rolleyes:

linda22003
06-09-2010, 12:43 PM
If you look up other news stories on this topic, you get some with pictures, and you get to see the real reason she was fired: she's black, and the man she married is white.

FlaGator
06-09-2010, 12:52 PM

Which probably would have gotten her just as fired.

linda22003
06-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Which probably would have gotten her just as fired.

The picture shows the real reason.
http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2010/6/8/teacher_fired_after_getting_pregnant_before_weddin g.html

lacarnut
06-09-2010, 01:14 PM

Did you read the article? She requested info. on maternity leave. Once again, you jump the gun to wrong conclusions.

Speedy
06-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Actions+Consequences

FlaGator
06-09-2010, 01:23 PM
http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2010/6/8/teacher_fired_after_getting_pregnant_before_weddin g.html

That is one seriously poor and un-thought out conclusion based on the evidence at hand.

Gingersnap
06-09-2010, 01:38 PM
School administrators declined to go on camera, but they said that Hamilton was fully aware of school policy forbidding sex before marriage.

Sources inside the school said in order for Hamilton to work there, she had to sign a contract promising that she would follow certain Christian beliefs -- one of which is no premarital sex.

Now, that looks like the "real" reason. She apparently told them she was pregnant. This is no different than if she had signed a contract forbidding smoking or drinking (common elements in private Baptist and LDS teacher contracts). The remedy is also identical: privately repent and practice discretion should any future sinful events unfold.

lacarnut
06-09-2010, 01:39 PM

At 3 weeks pregancy, it never occured to you that she is making plans to see how much time and Money she is going to suck out of this Private School?

PoliCon
06-09-2010, 02:34 PM

I' say that that's a pretty baseless assumption.

noonwitch
06-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Now, that looks like the "real" reason. She apparently told them she was pregnant. This is no different than if she had signed a contract forbidding smoking or drinking (common elements in private Baptist and LDS teacher contracts). The remedy is also identical: privately repent and practice discretion should any future sinful events unfold.

I never understand why people sign those agreements and don't adjust their lifestyles accordingly. One of my friends claims to be a fundamentalist christian, and at one point put her child in a school that would have expelled her if her mother got pregnant outside of marriage (although the child herself is the product of such a relationship). My friend had sex without using any protection, was late for her period, and was all panicked that her kid would be kicked out of school. She wasn't pregnant, and now sticks to sexual activities that don't lead to pregnancy, in addition to changing her kid's school at the end of that year.

If she hadn't signed an agreement to refrain from premarital sex, I'd defend her.

PoliCon
06-09-2010, 03:35 PM
It kills me when people claim to believe X but refuse to conform to that belief. It also kills me when people condemn and refuse to allow for repentance when someone makes a mistake.

Gingersnap
06-09-2010, 08:02 PM
It kills me when people claim to believe X but refuse to conform to that belief. It also kills me when people condemn and refuse to allow for repentance when someone makes a mistake.

Both are critical. It would be fabulous if every single person who made a decision for Christ instantly became a saint in thought, word, and deed but that's never been part of the Christian experience. We're as fallen as any pagan; we just have recourse to redemption and better standards to shoot for.

Jumpy
06-09-2010, 08:16 PM

That photo shows you that the school is racist? I don't see that. I graduated from a small Christian high school. They would not have knowingly employed a drunk, a drug user, dancer, gay person, an adulterer, or someone having sex outside of marriage. Heck, my school would not have employed someone who listened to rock-n-roll. I'm sure it was in writing somewhere and perspective employees knew that when they applied for the job. edited to add: I think it is stupid that they fired her. Maybe she didn't show enough repentance to suit them?

PoliCon
06-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Both are critical. It would be fabulous if every single person who made a decision for Christ instantly became a saint in thought, word, and deed but that's never been part of the Christian experience. We're as fallen as any pagan; we just have recourse to redemption and better standards to shoot for.

Oh I agree - but at the same time - I at least make an effort to conduct myself according to what I profess. Clearly it is very possible for a couple to make a mistake and engage in premarital sex - but if you do it more than once it's not a mistake.

Gingersnap
06-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Oh I agree - but at the same time - I at least make an effort to conduct myself according to what I profess. Clearly it is very possible for a couple to make a mistake and engage in premarital sex - but if you do it more than once it's not a mistake.

I agree that she is profoundly stupid. The fault now rests with her civil action. Don't teach at that kind of school if you don't understand the rules. If you do and you slip - repent to the person in charge or do so privately while making a firm conviction to sin no more. If the lapse has resulted in an obvious consequence, resign or keep it to yourself for the sake of the faithful.

There were a lot of options here.

CueSi
06-09-2010, 08:27 PM
If you look up other news stories on this topic, you get some with pictures, and you get to see the real reason she was fired: she's black, and the man she married is white.

Do you have any proof of the school's injunction against interracial marriage, or are we just going off stereotypes here? That's not to say it's not possible or that it does not exist (Bob Jones had one for the longest time, as well as PCC, the college I nearly went to), but you're going off a picture and nothing from the school here.

~QC

PoliCon
06-09-2010, 08:29 PM
I agree that she is profoundly stupid. The fault now rests with her civil action. Don't teach at that kind of school if you don't understand the rules. If you do and you slip - repent to the person in charge or do so privately while making a firm conviction to sin no more. If the lapse has resulted in an obvious consequence, resign or keep it to yourself for the sake of the faithful.

There were a lot of options here.

agreed.

Constitutionally Speaking
06-09-2010, 08:36 PM

I would certainly hope not.