PDA

View Full Version : Edwards Admits Sexual Affair

Gingersnap
08-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Edwards Admits Sexual Affair; Lied as Presidential Candidate

In an ABC NEWS NIGHTLINE interview, Edwards Reveals He Cheated, But Didn't Father Child

By RHONDA SCHWARTZ and BRIAN ROSS
August 8, 2008

John Edwards repeatedly lied during his Presidential campaign about an extramarital affair with a novice filmmaker, the former Senator admitted to ABC News today.

In an interview for broadcast tonight on Nightline, Edwards told ABC News correspondent Bob Woodruff he did have an affair with 44-year old Rielle Hunter, but said that he did not love her.

Edwards also denied he was the father of Hunter's baby girl, Frances Quinn, although the one-time Democratic Presidential candidate said he has not taken a paternity test.

Edwards said he knew he was not the father based on timing of the baby's birth on February 27, 2008. He said his affair ended too soon for him to have been the father.

A former campaign aide, Andrew Young, has said he was the father of the child.

Edwards said the affair began during the campaign after she was hired. Hunter traveled with Edwards around the country and to Africa.

Edwards said he told his wife, Elizabeth, and others in his family about the affair in 2006.

Edwards made a point of telling Woodruff that his wife's cancer was in remission when he began the affair with Hunter. Elizabeth Edwards has since been diagnosed with an incurable form of the disease.

When the National Enquirer first reported the alleged Edwards-Hunter affair last October 11, Edwards, his campaign staff and Hunter vociferously denounced the report.

ABC (http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5441195&page=1)

bijou
08-08-2008, 04:02 PM
John Edwards repeatedly lied during his Presidential campaign about an extramarital affair with a novice filmmaker, the former Senator admitted to ABC News today.

In an interview for broadcast tonight on Nightline, Edwards told ABC News correspondent Bob Woodruff he did have an affair with 44-year old Rielle Hunter, but said that he did not love her.

Edwards also denied he was the father of Hunter's baby girl, Frances Quinn, although the one-time Democratic Presidential candidate said he has not taken a paternity test.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5441195&page=1

Gingersnap
08-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Great minds think alike, I see. ;)

asdf2231
08-08-2008, 04:21 PM
...and I repeat..if its a lie....if its a fabrication...

..why isnt he filing a lawsuit that he knows he would win?

Because he obviously doesn't need money and even a false story can gain traction if its mentioned enough.

Quote:
Because he obviously doesn't need money and even a false story can gain traction if its mentioned enough.

...because its TRUE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnabend
...because its TRUE?

Proof that doesnt come from a tabloid magazine please

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l307/asdf2231/powell_fo_shizzle.jpg

http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?p=29128&highlight=john+edwards#post29128

Eyelids
08-08-2008, 04:22 PM
I really could not care less about this. The same would go for a Republican, their personal lives are none of my business.

asdf2231
08-08-2008, 04:23 PM
I really could not care less about this. The same would go for a Republican, their personal lives are none of my business.

You cared enough to carry on a whinefest about how it wasn't true...

Hmmmmm...

Eyelids
08-08-2008, 04:26 PM
You cared enough to carry on a whinefest about how it wasn't true...

Hmmmmm...

Well yeah I dont believe everything that comes out of the tabloid press... sorry.

Theophilus
08-08-2008, 04:45 PM
It's pretty sad for the Edwards family. My prayers go up for Jon Edwards and especially Elizabeth. I hate to watch any family under attack regardless of their politics. I pray Jon confesses, repents, and some day is restored.

lacarnut
08-08-2008, 05:00 PM
I think Ewards is a lying POS and probably is the father. What he does in his private life does not concern me near a much as him dragging his cancer striken wife thru the Democratic nominating process. That's the part that classifies him as a scumbag in my opinion. I feel for her and her family but I could care less what happens to him.

Gingersnap
08-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Well yeah I dont believe everything that comes out of the tabloid press... sorry.

The Enquirer is seldom wrong on this kind of thing. Now, the horoscopes are entirely different story. :p

Eyelids
08-08-2008, 05:43 PM
I do feel bad for Elizabeth, she has a great grasp on the Healthcare sitution in this country.

Zafod
08-08-2008, 05:49 PM
I do feel bad for Elizabeth, she has a great grasp on the Healthcare sitution in this country.

How so? The fact that she probably get the best healthcare in the world? I agree with you then.

Zeus
08-08-2008, 05:51 PM
No mention of it in the mainstreampress until John Boy Confessed just highlites the Bias in the main ScreamPress.

In February, the New York Times (NYT:New York Times Company spilled barrels of ink, and clear-cut a forest to tell the world that -- hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean? -- Sen. John McCain allegedly had had an affair. This was great stuff, until someone bothered to vet the story.

By those standards, the Enquirer's reporting on Edwards is Pulitzer grade stuff. (They have a picture.)

LibraryLady
08-08-2008, 06:22 PM

Her husband's huge lawsuits made health care costs increase.

SarasotaRepub
08-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Edwards said the affair began during the campaign after she was hired. Hunter traveled with Edwards around the country and to Africa.

Hmmm, nothing like that hot monkey lovin I guess!!! That Africa heat drives ya crazy. :p

Hannity had the head honcho of the Enquirer on his show this afternoon going over this.
Hee,hee...

The Breck girl deserves whatever happens to him now, his wife, not at all. Good thing this POS
didn't get to be VP.

Sonnabend
08-08-2008, 06:59 PM

One thing I dont get...he had sex???

That would have really messed up his hair. :D:D

Gingersnap
08-08-2008, 07:22 PM
One thing I dont get...he had sex???

That would have really messed up his hair. :D:D

Not if he didn't move much.

LibraryLady
08-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Look slike she's going to try and bail him out:

Today
by elizabethedwards (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/8/8/193337/7354/473/564989)
Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 04:40:51 PM PDT

Our family has been through a lot. Some caused by nature, some caused by human weakness, and some – most recently – caused by the desire for sensationalism and profit without any regard for the human consequences. None of these has been easy. But we have stood with one another through them all. Although John believes he should stand alone and take the consequences of his action now, when the door closes behind him, he has his family waiting for him.

* elizabethedwards's diary :: ::

John made a terrible mistake in 2006. The fact that it is a mistake that many others have made before him did not make it any easier for me to hear when he told me what he had done. But he did tell me. And we began a long and painful process in 2006, a process oddly made somewhat easier with my diagnosis in March of 2007. This was our private matter, and I frankly wanted it to be private because as painful as it was I did not want to have to play it out on a public stage as well. Because of a recent string of hurtful and absurd lies in a tabloid publication, because of a picture falsely suggesting that John was spending time with a child it wrongly alleged he had fathered outside our marriage, our private matter could no longer be wholly private.

The pain of the long journey since 2006 was about to be renewed.

John has spoken in a long on-camera interview I hope you watch. Admitting one’s mistakes is a hard thing for anyone to do, and I am proud of the courage John showed by his honesty in the face of shame. The toll on our family of news helicopters over our house and reporters in our driveway is yet unknown. But now the truth is out, and the repair work that began in 2006 will continue. I ask that the public, who expressed concern about the harm John’s conduct has done to us, think also about the real harm that the present voyeurism does and give me and my family the privacy we need at this time.

Nubs
08-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Like taking a job at a hedge fund to learn about poverty, he needed to have an affair so he can lecture us about adultry.

Zeus
08-08-2008, 08:06 PM
http://newsbusters.org/static/2008/08/EdwardsFOTY.jpg

Gingersnap
08-08-2008, 08:24 PM
I would dearly love to see the word "mistake" removed from any reference to a intentional and voluntary act. I have made mistakes - I've misread work communications, tried to grow pumpkins where no pumpkins should grow, and had many well intentioned but absurd creative moments in the kitchen. These are mistakes. I did not know in advance that my actions would cause harm or hilarity.

To conduct an affair is not a mistake. People don't unintentionally find themselves running out the Kama Sutra accidentally. People don't steal public funds unintentionally, they don't drive drunk unintentionally, they don't suddenly take up naked pole dancing unintentionally. Neither are these actions "errors of judgment". People don't think that having an affair could possibly be a good thing for their families but in this particular case it didn't work out right.

We need to get back to simple apologies if apologies are needed: not "I made a mistake" but "I callously thought I could conceal a red hot affair from my family and that it wouldn't impact my marriage. I was wrong."

FlaGator
08-08-2008, 08:28 PM
I would dearly love to see the word "mistake" removed from any reference to a intentional and voluntary act. I have made mistakes - I've misread work communications, tried to grow pumpkins where no pumpkins should grow, and had many well intentioned but absurd creative moments in the kitchen. These are mistakes. I did not know in advance that my actions would cause harm or hilarity.

To conduct an affair is not a mistake. People don't unintentionally find themselves running out the Kama Sutra accidentally. People don't steal public funds unintentionally, they don't drive drunk unintentionally, they don't suddenly take up naked pole dancing unintentionally. Neither are these actions "errors of judgment". People don't think that having an affair could possibly be a good thing for their families but in this particular case it didn't work out right.

We need to get back to simple apologies if apologies are needed: not "I made a mistake" but "I callously thought I could conceal a red hot affair from my family and that it wouldn't impact my marriage. I was wrong."

But he slipped and fell naked in to her hotel room... 9 or 10 times. It was an accident. Stevie Wonder could see that.

LibraryLady
08-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Edwards about Bill Clinton:

I think this President has shown a remarkable disrespect for his office, for the moral dimensions of leadership, for his friends, for his wife, for his precious daughter. It is breathtaking to me the level to which that disrespect has risen.

Feb 1999 (http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/02/12/senate.statements/edwards.html)

Goldwater
08-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Politicians are hypocrites, who knew.

I feel bad for his wife, I do not care that he is a liberal or conservative.

asdf2231
08-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Our family has been through a lot. Some caused by nature, some caused by human weakness, and some – most recently – caused by the desire for sensationalism and profit without any regard for the human consequences. None of these has been easy. But we have stood with one another through them all. Although John believes he should stand alone and take the consequences of his action now, when the door closes behind him, he has his family waiting for him.

Damn the National Equirerer for sending people to physically pick up John Edwards, strip him nekkid and forcibly insert him into his side dish! :rolleyes:

Theophilus
08-08-2008, 09:15 PM

Feb 1999 (http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/02/12/senate.statements/edwards.html)

Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark.

Dyne
08-08-2008, 10:12 PM
To think not only could he have been our VP for the last 4 years, he could have been our VP for the next 4 years (i'm sure Obama had this asshole on his short list).

Eyelids
08-08-2008, 11:02 PM
This is almost completely irrelevant.

asdf2231
08-08-2008, 11:05 PM
This is almost completely irrelevant.

:rolleyes:

OMG you are truly a freaking retard.

I mean seriously... Does the university have people who come in and help you wipe your ass and change your drool cup?

Eyelids
08-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Clinton lied under oath, Edwards didnt.

SarasotaRepub
08-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Wait till you hear about what they have on Obama. The guy from the Enquirer on Hannity today said there would be some interesting stuff coming out. :eek:

Nubs
08-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Blinky, your not in higher ed are you?? Really you just drive the short bus, don't you??

LibraryLady
08-08-2008, 11:36 PM
The NE editor also said there's more on the Edward's story. Follow the money trail.;)

Eyelids
08-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Wait till you hear about what they have on Obama. The guy from the Enquirer on Hannity today said there would be some interesting stuff coming out. :eek:

Is it anything like Michelle and "whitey"?

LibraryLady
08-09-2008, 12:05 AM
NE never bit on that one. It was an Internet story.

Since they were sued,they are very careful.
I bet you'll HATE what they have!!

Zathras
08-09-2008, 12:13 AM

That's a lie and you know it. You're so damned partisan that if it had been a Republican who had done the exact same thing, you would've been on this like white on rice.

AmPat
08-09-2008, 12:13 AM

Once again eyelids misses the point WIDE LEFT.

You really should get a refund from that "institute of higher learning" you attend. The point was entirely relevant and had nothing to do with Clintoon lying under oath and everything to do with Edwards' moral lapse. Edwards scoulding Clintoon's moral decadence, thereby attempting to take the moral high ground is the point.

Your university must be truly ashamed of you.

LibraryLady
08-09-2008, 12:16 AM

I've heard he is getting pretty good with the buffer on the newly waxed floors.:)

AmPat
08-09-2008, 12:20 AM
My first and lasting opinion of Johnnie "Breck Girl" Edwards proves out yet again;

07-31-2008, 12:40 PM #46
AmPat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The facts in the case are this; John Edwards is a un-principled scumbag. We don't need any news source to expose that. John Edwards exposes it every time he opens his mouth.

marinejcksn
08-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Edwards is a piece of garbage, nuff said.

AlmostThere
08-09-2008, 12:53 AM
The NE editor also said there's more on the Edward's story. Follow the money trail.;)
Oh Yeah. The money will be the story.

From everything I've read or heard from the horse's mouth, this was an affair in 2006.

Hannity asked a interesting question tonight. If this was a 2006 affair, what was he doing in the hotel with her in the middle of the night in July, 2008? :rolleyes:

lacarnut
08-09-2008, 01:10 AM
Oh Yeah. The money will be the story.

From everything I've read or heard from the horse's mouth, this was an affair in 2006.

Hannity asked a interesting question tonight. If this was a 2006 affair, what was he doing in the hotel with her in the middle of the night in July, 2008? :rolleyes:

That makes no sense at all. He is lying out of his eye teeth.

OwlMBA
08-09-2008, 01:16 AM
He is such a sleeze bag. Stereotypical, ambulance-chasing blood sucking lawyer/politician. Typical elitist democrat. Just like JFK, but only in the bad ways.

If this was a high-profile Republican, former presidential candidate like Giuliani or Romney the media would be on it 24x7, but I barely see anything about it.

Eyelids
08-09-2008, 01:36 AM
Once again eyelids misses the point WIDE LEFT.

You really should get a refund from that "institute of higher learning" you attend. The point was entirely relevant and had nothing to do with Clintoon lying under oath and everything to do with Edwards' moral lapse. Edwards scoulding Clintoon's moral decadence, thereby attempting to take the moral high ground is the point.

No, trust me people with educations avoid turning into an emotional moron about things. Theres a seperate path for people like that...

LibraryLady
08-09-2008, 01:39 AM
No, trust me people with educations avoid turning into an emotional moron about things. Theres a seperate path for people like that...

Do you want us to point out the grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors in this post?

If you have any education at all, it was training to run the fryer at McDonalds.

Zathras
08-09-2008, 02:04 AM

Yeah, it's called becoming a supporter of the Messiah Obama. They turn into brainwashed morons.

Constitutionally Speaking
08-09-2008, 05:57 AM

Because when Mark Foley (unmarried) sent suggestive E MAILS to a person of LEGAL age, you lefties made it into a campaign issue against ALL Republicans.

Sonnabend
08-09-2008, 08:06 AM

That is the biggest load of BULLSHIT I have seen in my live,Edwards notwithstanding.

AlmostThere
08-09-2008, 08:45 AM
He is such a sleeze bag. Stereotypical, ambulance-chasing blood sucking lawyer/politician. Typical elitist democrat. Just like JFK, but only in the bad ways.

If this was a high-profile Republican, former presidential candidate like Giuliani or Romney the media would be on it 24x7, but I barely see anything about it.
I heard Bernie Goldberg point out how many times the New York Times had printed front page articles about the supposed affair McCain had had. This with no facts, just rumor and speculation. This story on Edwards had been floating around for over a year with nary a peep from the NYT. Not even a peep when Edwards was caught in the hotel with the woman. The bias shown towards the left is mind-boggling. :mad:

SarasotaRepub
08-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Well I read Breck's whole statement and it's fine as it goes. But like what's been asked
above, what was he doing in that hotel with her recently?? Just saying hi to someone he doesn't love and playing with the baby that isn't his? Oh wait...

I have given a complete interview on this matter and having done so, will have nothing more to say.

Well there ya go!!! So be it! :rolleyes: :D

LibraryLady
08-09-2008, 09:50 AM
EDWARDS: I met her this last time when I was in California for the very purpose that you and I just spoke about.

WOODRUFF: And that picture is absolutely you and you are holding that baby.

EDWARDS: The picture in the tabloid. I have no idea what that picture is.

WOODRUFF: But you've seen it right?

EDWARDS: I did see it and I cannot make any sense out of that. When I went to this meeting you've already asked me about, uh, I was not wearing a t-shirt, I was wearing a long-sleeved shirt with the sleeves rolled up. I don't know who that picture -- I don't know if that picture is me, it could well be, it looks like me. I don't know who that baby is, I have no idea what that picture is.

WOODRUFF: But are you saying you don't remember holding that child of Miss Hunter?

EDWARDS: I'm saying you asked me about this photograph, I don't know anything about that photograph, I don't know who that baby is. I don't know if the picture has been altered, manufactured, if it's a picture of me taken some other time, holding another baby -- I have no idea. I was not at this meeting holding a child for my photograph to be taken I can tell you that.

WOODRUFF: You did say you did meet her at a hotel in California.

EDWARDS: She was there, Mr. McGovern was present, and that's where the meeting took place.

WOODRUFF: But you don't remember a baby being there?

EDWARDS: No.

Good Grief!!

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/Story?id=5544981&page=2

NE says they have more pictures and a lady was on Hannity yesterday that said he was running around the Hotel as pale as a ghost.

vetwife
08-09-2008, 09:57 AM
I think it is a disgrace what John Edwards did.
Of course I have not forgotten about Guiliano and his mistress and the whole penthouse thing in 2000.
Nor what John McCain did to Carol MCCain before he married Cindy and1st Mrs. McCain crippled.

I love the smell of hipocracy in the morning.l

SarasotaRepub
08-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Good Grief!!

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/Story?id=5544981&page=2

NE says they have more pictures and a lady was on Hannity yesterday that said he was running around the Hotel as pale as a ghost.

Oh! OK that's different! :D Too funny!!

Bah, I'm not wasting anymore time on this as it's obviously not important. I mean, my Lib rag
paper had the story on page A20, right before the Russian Invasion story. :D

LibraryLady
08-09-2008, 09:59 AM
VW,I see you got the left wing talking points memorized.

submarinepainter
08-09-2008, 10:01 AM

bull , he was a possible vice presidential pick , his private life is open to criticism

SarasotaRepub
08-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Of course I have not forgotten about Guiliano and his mistress and the whole penthouse thing in 2000.
Nor what John McCain did to Carol MCCain before he married Cindy and1st Mrs. McCain crippled.

Yep, I wouldn't cut our side any slack when they get caught with their pants down.

I love how DU is handling this story though. :D

lacarnut
08-09-2008, 10:11 AM
I heard Bernie Goldberg point out how many times the New York Times had printed front page articles about the supposed affair McCain had had. This with no facts, just rumor and speculation. This story on Edwards had been floating around for over a year with nary a peep from the NYT. Not even a peep when Edwards was caught in the hotel with the woman. The bias shown towards the left is mind-boggling. :mad:

The AP stated that the reason that they did not print anything about the affair was that they did not have PROOF, and that if it turned out to not be true blah, blah, blah. that it would damage his career. WTF, the AP has never had any problems putting out a story where there was a whisper or accusation of a Repubs. wrongdoings without any proof. The liberal media is just as sleazy as Edwards.

SaintLouieWoman
08-09-2008, 10:44 AM
The AP stated that the reason that they did not print anything about the affair was that they did not have PROOF, and that if it turned out to not be true blah, blah, blah. that it would damage his career. WTF, the AP has never had any problems putting out a story where there was a whisper or accusation of a Repubs. wrongdoings without any proof. The liberal media is just as sleazy as Edwards.

You've got that right. SR mentioned that our lib rag, the formerly Pulitzer owned STL Post-Dispatch, had the story on page A20. They did have a very small pic on the first page, though.

But how differently they handled another story this week. There was a mug shot of a state legislator on the front page, center top. The good ole Post didn't waste any time smearing him. I don't condone what he did, if he is guilty, but the Post, like all the lib rags, is totally biased.

BTW, Edwards is double-talking like the sleazy class action attorney he is. He's disgusting.

lacarnut
08-10-2008, 03:42 PM

The hypocrisy entails the LACK of reporting the Edwards story by the media; the act itself is despicable whether it's a D. or a R. BTW, the media lets its liberal hound dogs loose when there is a hint or suspicion of Repub. wrongdoing.

Odysseus
08-10-2008, 05:13 PM
The hypocrisy entails the LACK of reporting the Edwards story by the media; the act itself is despicable whether it's a D. or a R. BTW, the media lets its liberal hound dogs loose when there is a hint or suspicion of Repub. wrongdoing.

Remember back during the CA gubernatorial recall campaign, when Arnold was still a Republican? The LA Times made a huge deal about some unverified allegations of groping by Arnold, but refused to cover a documented story about Gray Davis physically assaulting a staffer. This is business as usual for a media that has become an extension of the DNC.

Lanie
08-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Edwards is an asshole for what he did to his wife who has cancer. The press are assholes for being the press and putting her through more hell just for a story. That is all.

Lanie
08-10-2008, 07:57 PM

Good of you to admit to that.

Lanie
08-10-2008, 08:00 PM

I smell politics in the morning. What gets me is that American people fall for every bit of the tactics.