PDA

View Full Version : Why Obama doesn't dare become the 'angry black man'

PoliCon
06-10-2010, 12:14 PM
(CNN) -- Here's proof that President Obama has indeed ushered in a new era in race relations.

Who would have ever expected some white Americans to demand that an African-American man show more rage?

If you've followed the Gulf of Mexico oil disaster, you've heard the complaints that Obama isn't showing enough emotion.

But scholars say Obama's critics ignore a lesson from American history: Many white Americans don't like angry black men.

It's the lesson Obama absorbed from his upbringing, and from an impromptu remark he delivered last summer. Yet it's a lesson he may now have to jettison, they say, as public outrage spreads.

"Folks are waiting for a Samuel Jackson 'Snakes on the Plane' moment from this president as in: 'We gotta' get this $#@!!* oil back in the $#!!* rig!' But that's just not who Obama is,'' says Saladin Ambar, a political science professor at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.

Some of the same people crying for Obama to show more emotion would have voted against him if he had displayed anger during his presidential run, says William Jelani Cobb, author of "The Substance of Hope: Barack Obama and the Paradox of Progress."

"It would have fed deeply into a pre-existing set of narratives about the angry black man," Cobb says. "The anger would have gotten in the way. He would have frightened off white voters who were interested in him because he seemed to be like the black guy they worked with or went to graduate school with -- not a black guy who is threatening."

CONTINUED WITH VIDEO (http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/06/08/rage.obama/index.html?hpt=C1)

PoliCon
06-10-2010, 12:15 PM
So clearly Obama is bungling this because YOU'RE RACIST!!!!!!!11!!!1!!!1

Wei Wu Wei
06-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Bungling what? PR? Appealing to emotions and media image issues? I thought people wanted him to stay fixed on the issues and on pragmatism, not PR pandering.

but I guess a chance to criticize him is a chance to criticize him so go wild.

lacarnut
06-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Bungling what? PR? Appealing to emotions and media image issues? I thought people wanted him to stay fixed on the issues and on pragmatism, not PR pandering.

The Magic Negro is in way over his head. He is a politicial hack rather than a Leader. The dumb ass has not even consulted with the CEO of BP or any of their officials. It's like the blind leading the blind.

FYI, Federal guidlines and procedures that were put in place in case of this type of oil spill were not followed. Since this spill is in Federal Waters, BP can not do squat with their permission. Obama has not given the Governor of LA permission to take defensive action against the oil damaging the marshlands. Obama is the dumbest Prez I have ever seen. Carter is a whizz kid compared to this fool.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
06-10-2010, 04:18 PM
I've always liked the name Saladin.

Sonnabend
06-10-2010, 07:53 PM
I've always liked the name Saladin.

:rolleyes:

CaughtintheMiddle1990
06-10-2010, 08:05 PM
:rolleyes:

I like it based on an old video game I used to play wherein one of the characters was a Captain Saladin, who was a ''guard dog''--A humanoid dog guard. It was a medieval fantasy game.

Gingersnap
06-10-2010, 08:37 PM

Wu Wu, any president who was in power during a debacle like this would be open to criticism. Bush finished reading a micro-story to a bunch of little kids after he heard about the 9/11 attacks and he was mercilessly pilloried for that.

The Obama administration apparently knew the magnitude of this disaster within 24 hours and they didn't publicly spring into action over it.

His lame response to the "kick ass" question is naturally open to criticism. It was completely inauthentic and simply happened in response to criticism that the President should have ignored.