PDA

View Full Version : The phone calls have started...

SarasotaRepub
06-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Just like when I moved into the 1st house down here in FL over 10 years ago the pesky phone calls from the "Welcome Wagons" have started.

And it's like they have a little alarm in our home that tells them the minute I walk in.

Today there were two "Welcome To FL" calls, both pushing...water filters. :rolleyes:

The third one was pushing home alarm systems.

They came in quick, one right after the other over a span of 30 minutes or so.

So...off to the No Call List website I went. :D

Bubba Dawg
06-10-2010, 08:48 PM
So, do you already have water filtration and an alarm system?

I mean, I got this cousin...we'll cousin-in-law technically...anyway, I can set you up with him.

Call me. We'll do lunch. :p

Gingersnap
06-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Don't throw away the mail coupons! They really do give people some awesome one-time-only discounts in mail. :)

RobJohnson
06-11-2010, 07:32 AM
You pay for land line phone service?

noonwitch
06-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Whatever happened to the old tradition of welcoming new neighbors with a plate of home-made cookies? Or is that just a Grand Rapids thing?

Rebel Yell
06-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Just like when I moved into the 1st house down here in FL over 10 years ago the pesky phone calls from the "Welcome Wagons" have started.

And it's like they have a little alarm in our home that tells them the minute I walk in.

Today there were two "Welcome To FL" calls, both pushing...water filters. :rolleyes:

The third one was pushing home alarm systems.

They came in quick, one right after the other over a span of 30 minutes or so.

So...off to the No Call List website I went. :D

My wife's friend and her husband lived in Beverly Hills, FL. They got a phone call about once a week down there. They weren't selling anything, though. They were letting them know another sex offender had moved into the naighborhood.

Beverly Hills, FL is one hell of a dump. I went down there once and almost got in a fight with some punk who thought he needed to stand in the road.

Articulate_Ape
06-11-2010, 12:22 PM
I have a plaque above my doorbell button that says, "Press to release the hounds."

PoliCon
06-11-2010, 12:23 PM
In this day and age - why even have a home phone?

noonwitch
06-11-2010, 01:07 PM

A land line is tied into 911. That's why we require foster parents to have one.

Gingersnap
06-11-2010, 01:21 PM

Well, I don't have a cell phone so it's more convenient to use the landline if the police ever need to come and pick up the bodies of intruders.

PoliCon
06-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Well, I don't have a cell phone so it's more convenient to use the landline if the police ever need to come and pick up the bodies of intruders.

meh. :rolleyes:

SaintLouieWoman
06-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Don't throw away the mail coupons! They really do give people some awesome one-time-only discounts in mail. :)

Drat, we haven't been getting those. And no welcome wagon lady, either. So far all I've gotten was that bag of dog poop bags (the wrappers from newspapers) from the one cranky neighbor who saw us move in with 3 dogs.

Oh, well, guess we're only welcomed to Florida by the scammers and the hucksters. :rolleyes::D

SaintLouieWoman
06-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Whatever happened to the old tradition of welcoming new neighbors with a plate of home-made cookies? Or is that just a Grand Rapids thing?
It must be a midwest thing. They did it in St Louis. Here, as I mentioned in the previous post, just poop bags with the insult that we are stupid and let our dogs litter. But the neighbor on the other side, who is hated by all the other neighbors, did come over with a little loaf cake.